Which Printer?

osho67

I would like to buy a printer which is very economic to run in view of cartridges cost. There are many e books available to read and I would like to print them and read . Somehow I find it difficult to read on the screen. Roughly I would be printing about 100 sheets per week.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

osho

I must confess firstly I don't know an awful lot about printers, except as you say, cartridges are very expensive. I have an HP Deskjet 1125 which seems fairly economic. But given the volume you want to print a laser printer might work out more economic in the long run, don;t know what others think. You are probably in and around the right time of year to get a good deal.

roguetrader said:
I must confess firstly I don't know an awful lot about printers, except as you say, cartridges are very expensive. I have an HP Deskjet 1125 which seems fairly economic. But given the volume you want to print a laser printer might work out more economic in the long run, don;t know what others think. You are probably in and around the right time of year to get a good deal.

Yup I was surprised just how much colour lasers have come down in price recently. No idea about toner cartridge costs but they might be worth a look. An inkjet is a better solution if you want to print photos, but for general colour prints etc a laser might be good.

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=395&category_id=194&manufacturer_id=0

Samsung colour laser includes two sided printing £324 inc vat

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=1314&category_id=194&manufacturer_id=0

OKI colour laser faster print speeds than the Samsung £352 inc vat

Cheers

Stew

Stew

For B&W prints a cheap £45 Samsung ML-1510 laser does the trick.

The toner can be renewed for around £12 for 3000 sheets on normal print or around 5000 on toner save.

JonnyT

Printers cost nothing in comparison to cost of ownership. Research "compatible" replacement cartridges and base your choice on that. Cannon Injets you can refil yourself- that's the cheapest route. Just a general point, compatible cartridges are nowhere near the quality of genuine units ( Epson) - if not used regularly, they clog up . You're usage is high and so you should have no problem.

Thanks Jonny
3000 is very good but what is toner save which could be 5000 sheets

osho67 said:
Thanks Jonny
3000 is very good but what is toner save which could be 5000 sheets

Osho it is a mode on the printer to reduce toner consumption, which will reduce quality slightly.

Osho, don't know why I thought you wanted colour, if it is just black and white then a cheap laser would be excellent. I have had my old HP laser for years and not had to touch the toner yet !

Stew

IMHO it depends whether you really, really need to do colour printing. After years of buying colour inkjet refills (very expensive) a few months ago I bought a black-and-white laser printer (Samsung) for about £80 and I'm extremely pleased with it. I've printed off an enormous amount of stuff recently, and the toner seems to last for ages, too.

I have really got valuable feedback . I want a laserjet b/w printer. JonnyT has mentioned samsung ML 1510 for about £45. Roberto has mewntioned samsung for about £80. The question is now where do I get it from. Any help? Thanks

osho67 said:
I have really got valuable feedback . I want a laserjet b/w printer. JonnyT has mentioned samsung ML 1510 for about £45. Roberto has mewntioned samsung for about £80. The question is now where do I get it from. Any help? Thanks

Simply Computers
DABS
CCL Online
Microwarehouse
EBuyer

and see which is cheapest including delivery !

Stew

I've recently heard a few people cursing DABS for various different reasons. But any of the others above. Comet might be worth a look, also. And if you don't mind buying "last year's model" or "six months ago's model", there'll be all sorts of bargains around, I'm sure. (Mine is called Samsung ML-4500 by the way; I think I paid £79).

Ebay - depends what you are buying... it's fairly risky at times (I've bought maybe 4 times and had to go through the complaints process to get what I paid for delivered on one of those occasions).

There's NO contest here, a mono laser is the only sensible choice if you intend to print 100 sheets a week... inkjet costs per printed sheet are poor in comparison, and the speed of the printout is impressive in comparison. Simply.co.uk are good, I've had problems with DABS and others in the past - I buy quite a lot of PC kit every year and I either buy over the counter at PC World or I order from Simply (or their business arm, Misco). My current mono laser, like most of my printers, is now a couple of years old - a Brother HL1440, I buy double capacity toner cartridges for it, they're about £45 a pop and last 5-6000 pages.
I also run :Minolta Magicolour laser for colour laser, inkjets are Epson 950, HP970CXi, and a dinky little CD printer from Teac.... I use the Brother for all the niff naff large prints. Save more by buying your paper in bulk - I tend to use Viking for that sort of thing, HP or Viking 100gsm stuff looking at maybe 3.50 a ream.

Dave

Will I have to buy toner cartridge separately or will it be included in a new machine? Same question for USB cable. (for samsung)

They come with a Toner cartridge though only enough toner for 1000 sheets.

I cannot remember the USB cable bit but I think it did!

JonnyT