Possible virus/trojan

adrianallen99

Established member
My machine has been acting funny today, I can use the internet once, but after a certain amount of time I can no longer view any websites. If I connect and disconnect, I cannot view any websites on the second time. Also when I connect the 2nd time internet explorer opens repeatedly as soon as I connect, whether I have asked it to or not, I can't close it quick enough before another window opens (got upto about 48 windows earlier before I turned machine off).

When I reboot it always does a scan disk at the moment. When my machine starts I have also noticed in the bottom left hand corner, an application runs very briefly when the machine first starts up.

I have checked with Trend, AVG and ad-aware and they show nothing.

Any ideas

Have you got a spare mouse you could try?

I had a dickie mouse & it caused all sorts of odd things to happen. Worth a try.

That certainly does sound virusey to me AA.

Try another online scan with one of the ones listed in the Techies Corner guide maybe? I dont find AVG particularly good myself, Avast! is much better.

Not sure what all the processes on my machine do.

I have attached a copy here. What is atdailer1.exe???

Attachments

• processes.JPG
    processes.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 460
I had wanadoo anytime on the machine so I get it could be to do with that.

No scans come up with anything, so perhaps it is something else. I know im running out of space on my main drive because my other harddrive is out of action for the time being.

adrian,

you really should try changing your mouse. When mine went loads of programs I wasn't touching loaded themselves. I tried everything - it was a last resort. You've got nothing to lose by trying.

good luck.

Update and run Spybot and Ad-aware while we're searching ;)
Some changes for the settings in Ad-aware :
Scan in safe mode, but make the following changes to the settings.
-Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:
check: "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:
Check: "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."
Press "Scan Now"
- Check option "Use Custom scanning options"
- Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"
- Press "Select drives\folders to scan"
- Select the active partition which is usually C:
Now press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives... Fix everything it finds.
Reboot

I did all virus updates and stuff and checking my machine and found nothing. I also cleared a lot of space as I was running low on disk space and I got my bigger drive active again. This has speeded up my machine. I cleaned the registry and got rid of duplicate files. Basically I did some spring cleaning on my machine, uninstalling old apps and stuff.

This seemed to fix the problem for a few days, but then for no reason it happened again. I was away from my machine at the time and had 58 copies of internet explorer open when I came back.

I have worked out when the problem started and what I changed before it started, I installed Gamespy, which is an online gaming thing. So I can play unreal tournament on the internet. After installing, I accidently clicked on a pop up. The popup appeared in front of the page I was using and was a copy of it. So I thought it was the correct window. It then tried to connect me to another ISP, which I stopped.

I know there is something on my machine, but I don't know where to look.