Please ban me for a bit

Like you, I would be happy to pay reasonable costs to compensate T2W for the time required to undertake the task.

I wouldn't. Since no one apart from barjon is acting reasonably (and he can't do anything), I'm going to be bloody minded and make the data protection act request which will cost them at least a day, and possibly a week, in wasted time, and I recommend others do so too. It'll also be fun to see how much paper printing out thousands of threads uses. I am entitled to hard copy :)

If you phrase it right you will get to see everything they've written about you in the staff forums too!

arabian

I think the data protection act requires that the information is made available to you. Well, it's all there for you to look at so what's the problem?

jon

no it isn't

I don't have access to staff forums to see any posts about me
I don't have access to private messages to see any private messages concerning me
I don't have access to deleted posts concenering me

for a start

In fact is t2w even registered with the information commisioner's office, as it is legally required to be? I can't find it on the register

arabian

I think the data protection act requires that the information is made available to you. Well, it's all there for you to look at so what's the problem?

jon

You think thats the case :LOL:

The last time I checked T2W didnt seam to be registeded with the UK's Data Protection Registrar, so I assume they are exempt.

If this isnt the case and T2W are indeed registered (ironically the data protection people are as slow as garden snails at updating their own membership database) as Mr Arabian says, he cant see information thats held privately.

In fact is t2w even registered with the information commisioner's office, as it is legally required to be? I can't find it on the register

They claim in the terms and conditions that they are fully complient with UK data protection legislaton.

They may possibly be exempt.

You think thats the case :LOL:

The last time I checked T2W didnt seam to be registeded with the UK's Data Protection Registrar, so I assume they are exempt.

If this isnt the case and T2W are indeed registered (ironically the data protection people are as slow as garden snails at updating their own membership database) as Mr Arabian says, he cant see information thats held privately.

Of course they're not exempt. They're processing data that can be tied to living individuals.

And none of this changes the central fact - there is NO reason not to delete all my posts (or maybe change them into an advert for propboards, a sister business to t2w!) other than sheer bloody mindedness.

The data protection act is to do with personal data held on people and not entire threads or posts which can and are already available to view so any request to see them again is pointless. If you made this request you would probably get a half page document on what you entered yourself when signing up as there is nothing else held on you of a private nature.

Do you still want to be banned ?

Paul

I want my posts to be deleted. I viewed banning as a logical extension of that. I do not see any point in banning me without deleting my posts.

(my point being, even if the only reason is that today has a "Y" in it, there seems to be no reason not to do this, it'll be a couple of SQL queries)

I want my posts to be deleted. I viewed banning as a logical extension of that. I do not see any point in banning me without deleting my posts.

This is a key issue. T2W bans no end of people, and then has the hypocrisy to promote their business on the back of valuable content that those members provided.

Regarding data protection, T2W's terms and conditions are quite specific. They clearly state that T2W are in full complience with UK data protection legislation. So either they are registered and those lazy bunnies at the data protection registrar are drinking tea rather than updating membership details, or they took professional advice, and where advised there is no requirements for registration.

I presume the forum that you run is complient in this regard :LOL:

No doubt Mr Sharky can clrify this if he feels he needs too.

Regardles the issue is getting unwanted posts deleted. Out of curiosity, does vBulletin provide a standard feature to delete all posts for aselected member ?. If so, they cant really ague that its excessively difficult to compy with our wishes.

Terms and Conditions said:
7. Data protection

7.1 We will respect your personal data and will comply with all applicable UK data protection legislation currently in force.

7.2 We will use your personal information, which you provide to us and the records of your visits to the Site to constantly monitor and improve our Service and for marketing purposes in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

so they keep a record of every time you visit the site. You could ask for that I suppose, that would be a total ball ache.

.................You think thats the case :LOL:.........

:LOL: yes, unlike many I don't profess to be unequivocal when I don't have the knowledge to be so.

I don't understand why this all seems to be becoming so bitter and twisted. What people choose to post on public discussion boards is up to them - within the rules of that particular forum of course - and I can't see that the provider of those discussion boards has any responsibility to dig people out of any hole they may have created for themselves by injudicious posting.

And before you start flailing away at T2W that's just my opinion as barjon and not as a moderator.

jon

I don't understand why this all seems to be becoming so bitter and twisted.

Me neither, it depends whether mr violent is speaking on behalf of t2w or not. If he is then, frankly, you (not you jon, t2w) started it. Otherwise the discussion seems pretty civil to me and we need not test my data protection theories (and I think that ultimately that is what we'd have to do if t2w responded with half a page - test them with the commissioner because I am pretty sure I'm correct) so long as we remain in constructive dialogue...

I can't see that the provider of those discussion boards has any responsibility to dig people out of any hole they may have created for themselves by injudicious posting.

You may be surprised to hear that I'm broadly in agreement with that particular sentiment.

However, there are exceptions to every rule. For example, I am aware of people who innocently posted materials to forums, and where subsequently asked by employers or clients to remove the information on the grounds of a breach of non disclosure. Thankfully the forum owners in these cases where little more enlightened, and the member wishes to modify posts was granted.

I can see for example a situation where a member posts materials in good faith over a number of years, and later enters into an agreement with a publisher, who may of course realistically and reasonably stipulate that particular material is removed from the public domain prior to publishing.

In case you forgot, there are copyright laws in the country from which you chose to do business. At a push, some of the stuff written about Mr Arabian could be considered as slander, and T2W refusal to remove this material makes them in law, equally liable for the consequences.

You know as well as I do that T2W capitulates every time to any 2 bit vendor without a pot to **** in, and should members get stroppy and start sending solicitors letters, in all likelihood, you'll capitulate just as easily.

There's no justifiable argument for failing to comply. Technologically, its effortless, it would take a matter of seconds. Members have even offered to pay for the service. Most of the material thats being removed is inaccurate, out of date, lulzy nonsense. Most of the threads are dead and recieve little traffic.

T2W needs to get some perspective. Tim talks about 200k+ members, but the truth is most of the people who participated in those threads have long ceased to visit the site, and the majority of new members dont want to read em anyway. You talk as if removing a post from a thread is the equivelent of slashing the mona lisa with a stanly knife. Even if you deleted my posts at T2W, anything remotely of value that I had to say relating to trading would probably still be available to the whole world on sites that take trading a little more seriously.

The fact that T2W staff and moderators have spent infinately more time justifying their actions than it would take to hit the delete button speaks volumes.

How is anyone supposed to track those posts to your username? The only way I see this possible is having your email address exposed or having an avatar with your real name.