Path For The US Week Of 23 June 2003

Sid, I have total respect for your comment when you say that you only trade when you see the setup. It sums up trading in my view...

I like to see my path work out today....I do predict and trade it as well.. I got my move higher and I faded it.......I now hope to see this market drip lower all day.....I shorted Dow around 9103 basis September, and i like that to be a keeper....but I am not 100% until we are past 2nd july

Good luck Tom with your trades today, looking good so far!

Have a look at the charts for 4/5 June 03 and 16/17 June 03 for examples of what I am talking about.

Tim

This is what I said about todays dow at 9.33 this morning:

After yesterdays reasonably sized down move the highest probability is for today to be a choppy sideways consolidation in quite a tight range.

Can I get a job as a market strategist now? ;)

Gold star for being a true Seer :)

I'm going to predict now just for the hell of it. FTSE and European markets up until about 11-00 then sideways for the rest of the day. Why? Don't ask me it's a guess ;)

OK - I'm in the spirit of this.

FTSE, DAX and Dow flat till open.

And I'm willing to bet i'm spot on :D

Good morning,

The markets have declined for 5 days, and have been trading sideways for 2 days. Normally you would expect a big rally higher, and it is not out of the question today. Today is FOMC day so I am expecting a quiet day except for a little volatility on the back of the IFO numbers released out of Germany later today.

The only real activity in the market right now is hedge funds and mutual funds trying to mark up prices going into quarter end. This may largely be successful but time is running out and I am shorting every rally from here onwards. I am only doing it in small size for now because I have got absolutely no confirmation that a top is in. As a matter of fact it would not surprise me to see the Dow around 9450 by 2nd July. It will just make for a better short. If the Dow takes out the 61.8% level at 9345, then the next target is above 9600.

I will just repeat what I wrote about Fed days yesterday:

FED days

Today will see the beginning of the 2-day FOMC meeting in the US. This should not affect stocks too much today. Tomorrow, however, is likely to be a low day. The way I play the Fed days are based on observation. The minute the announcement is released you will see a spike. Then you see some kind of counter spike before a third spike. Since 2000 I have followed the Fed days and this is always the pattern. Essentially the first spike is the direction the market will go once the dust settles. The second spike is the fake spike, while the 3rd spike is continuation of the original impulse. This usually takes place over 45 minutes or so.

The SP500 held the 975 area. I will be inclined to favour the long side above 982 and the short side below 977. If 975 is taken out we will see 965.

Most of the financial companies in the US are now shorting material. At this stage my strategy will be to short weak rallies but if I see a momentum move, I will stand aside and wait for a better opportunity. The long side seems the most dangerous side now. If the bulls can’t rally now the decline will be swift and detrimental. The news beginning to appear on Q2 earnings does not call for the growth, which has been expected.

The Expected Path

I have looked at the parameters once again, as you have to, when you expect a SD day (stuck down day) and instead you get a rising day. I have thought about stopping the model until it was in a better mood. However, I feel that would be defeating the object of the posting. It is usually very easy for me to see when the model is working and when it isn’t. I have had some amazingly accurate days with the Path. I am confident it will return to true form.

Attachments

• expected path 25th june.png
    expected path 25th june.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 470
shorted the Dax right out of the bat this morning, wanted 3254, got 3250...Dax is razor thin in the mornings. This technique is fairly straightforward...chart attached

Attachments

• dax 25th june.png
    dax 25th june.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 464
i dont think I have ever waited so long for a day trade to turn into something worthwhile...finally this Dax is coming off

Tom,
frustrating.I had same trade from last nights close.Looked good after no real follow thru after todays decent IFO numbers.
Patience dear boy,patience.

Steve

I dont cultivate patience in trading.....it works out pretty soon...this one in particular was different as I got in at the high....put a stop in and got out at 3240 for 10 ticks, reshorted it 10 minutes later....now 21.......but it is dire boring today

still not boring to make money

I'm not sure about todays dow. Certainly after yesterday's dull choppy affair my system will be looking for a good move one way or the other today. Personally, however, I think we may stay consolidating (with an upward bias) for the rest of the week, before we see the next good move on Monday/Tuesday next week. So I'd look for a slow uptrend this week in order to put in a lower high or even a double top ready for the real down move starting next week.