Newbie: TradeStation 8 vs Omega TradeStation 2000i

Clipper52

I have not used TradeStation before and consider signing up.

Will anyone here kindly advise the following:

1). Differences between TradeStation 8 and the offline version, I think it's call TradeStation 2000i by Omega that you can buy for a few thousand dollars.

2). The 2000i is an offline system, so is that means I must import all my data into the program.

3). If I sign up for TradeStation, is that means I don't need TradeStation 2000i

Thanks.

2000i allows you to use a data feed and broker of your choice. You have to buy the software outright. The software is no longer sold or supported by Omega Research, but is still on sale via third parties.
Tradestation 8 and lower marks lock you in to Tradestation brokerage and commissions. The software is free and supported by Omega Research.
Glenn

Glenn said:
2000i allows you to use a data feed and broker of your choice. You have to buy the software outright. The software is no longer sold or supported by Omega Research, but is still on sale via third parties.
Tradestation 8 and lower marks lock you in to Tradestation brokerage and commissions. The software is free and supported by Omega Research.
Glenn

Thanks Glenn,

May I trouble you for another question (sorry I am a newbie):

If I sign up for Tradestation (the web version) and pay the monthly fee, then this is the same as getting 2000i with exactly the same function. Right? Yes or No would do.

Thanks.

TS8 is lot better with regards functionality and you can get 3rd party data into it via software called owndata. I prefer it.

Clipper52,

I picked up a copy of tradestation 2000i a few moths back for 70 USD of ebay......works fine
good luck..........

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to trial Tradestation 2000i, does anybody know where I can perhaps a used copy of the software. Looked up Ebay there wasnt any on sale. Also does anyone know which version of Tradestation 2000i still has the limitation of of up to 255 securities in a single folder?

Tks in anticipation...

All versions of Tradestation 2000i have the 255-securities-per-folder MetaStock limitation.

The first version of TradeStation that supported 6000-securities-per-folder MetaStock format was v8.1 service pack 1, which came out in late 2005.

I've used Tradestation for several years. Both Tradestation 2000i (the first version I used) and TS8. With 2000i you could end up becoming a "Data Manager" because that part of the program can be challenging.

For a beginner with the program, I'd definitely recommend TS8 for the following reasons.

1. The programming language (Easylanguage) is the heart of the software. It's challenging (but rewarding) to learn for someone new to programming. But by using TS8 the online video tutorials and courses and book make sense.
2. If you choose 2000i you may not have access to proper tutorial information as they are no longer supplied by Tradestation.
3. With TS8 you have the option of using your own data via a program called owndata or using data direct from Tradestation. The Tradestation data is usually enough when testing your initial trading ideas, as there are several types of market included.

There is one caveat, however, when you look at older books with Tradestation code; this code will usually have been written for TS2000i and you'll have to make adjustments. This is usually straightforward but you can also get help on various forums.

Hope this helps

BPV

Hi!
I am in Russia and would like to trade Russian stock through Russian broker. Can I just suscribe to Tradestation software, but then import data myself via that program called owndata (where can I get it?) and don't use Tradestation as a broker?