Tradestation 8 & Tradestation 2000i

Tradestation Strategy Builder

Call me slow :rolleyes: , but I'm finally getting the hang of using the TS2000i tradestation strategy builder - in order to create simple trading strategies - by combining existing signals. Have yet to do any back-testing or optimising -but would just like to state that the process seems simple.
Up until now I have been concentrating on worrying about writing my own strategies from scratch, through the use of easy language - but all being well - I may get away with not having to use much easy language on my own, working primarily with the combination of existing signals instead!

Cheers

jtrader.

Forex Feed

I trade spot forex and I can't say I have noticed any non neutrality from RJ O'Brien - have you noticed a difference between fxcm and rj data feeds??

jtrader said:
Thanks Guys

the reason I ask is that I may want to upgrade to TS8 from TS2000i - as having datafeeds, charting, strategy design, backtesting, optimisation etc. - in and from the same place, does seem to make sense. If I am to trade CME Globex futures forex or eminis - I may as well go one step further and have a tradestation brokerage account - and If I open the brokerage account I also get TS8 half price at $100 per month. ;)

Have also suggested to tradestation that they supply a neutral spot forex datafeed such as SPComstock or EBS for use in TS8. Their only spot datafeed is RJO O'Brien data from their spot forex broker RJO O'Brien. This is OK for people trading with them - but for someone who may be unable to open the brokerage account and say has to use FXCM it is not good. But the non-brokerage client could still use TS8 for spot forex trading - with a neutral/more representative datasource.

Cheers

jtrader.

rdstagg - I trade spot forex and I can't say I have noticed any non neutrality from RJ O'Brien - have you noticed a difference between fxcm and rj data feeds??

Hi rdstagg

I haven't compared FXCM and RJOFX.

Since making the post that you quote, I have since changed my views. Tradestation assure me that any differences between their RJOFX datafeed and most other retail spot forex brokers datafeed/quotes should be minimal. I would intend to trade with RJOFX for the purposes of keeping everything under the tradestation umbrella - removing any data issues - especially if fully automating trades. Second choice would be Oanda (for their tighter spreads). Having had chance to view the SP Comstock and GTIS indicative prices datafeeds - it would seem that trading with one broker and using the datafeed of another - may not be much worse a basis to trade from, than simply using an indicative prices datafeed such as SP Comstock or GTIS.

It seems that perhaps the only good neutral datafeed would perhaps be EBS.

It's interesting that tradestation want account holders to have something like $70k liquid funds and 2-3 years trading experience - in order to open a brokerage account of any description (how strict they are with asking people to prove that they meet these criteria may be questionable). However, if you only wanted to trade retail spot forex - you can go directly to RJOFX - and open an account with $200-300!......
However, if you don't open the account through tradestation, you don't get the discount on the TS8 platform that brokerage account holders get.

Cheers

jtrader.

Last edited:
Caution if considering TS for fx trading

Be aware that you cannot fully automate fx trades with tradestation at the moment (hence using RJ o'Brien as their third party - the next TS build hopes to integrate a proper TS securities type account where trades can be filled automatically.

QUOTE=jtrader]Hi rdstagg

I haven't compared FXCM and RJOFX.

Since making the post that you quote, I have since changed my views. Tradestation assure me that any differences between their RJOFX datafeed and most other retail spot forex brokers should be minimal. I would intend to trade with RJOFX for the purposes of keeping everything under the tradestation umbrella - removing any data issues - especially if fully automating trades. Second choice would be Oanda (for their tighter spreads). Having had chance to view SP Comstock and GTIS - it would seem that you can't get much worse/jumpy data!

It seems that perhaps the only good neutral datafeed would perhaps be EBS.

It's interesting that tradestation want account holders to have something like $70k liquid funds and 2-3 years trading experience - in order to open a brokerage account of any description (how strict they are with asking people to prove that they meet these criteria may be questionable). However, if you only wanted to trade retail spot forex - you can go directly to RJOFX - and open an account with $200-300!......
However, if you don't open the account through tradestation, you don't get the discount on the TS8 platform that brokerage account holders get.

Cheers

jtrader.[/QUOTE]

BarType code for TS 2000i

Hello Everyone,

I really appreciate if any person can help me on BarType function code for TS 2000 i. I believe many TS 2000 i experts in T2W board.

Sincerely

What is your actual question on the function?

If you look in the help(F1) menu that tells you all about it.

BarType (Reserved Word)
Disclaimer

Returns a number indicating the interval setting of the price data an analysis technique is applied to.

Remarks
The number returned is based on the data interval of the price data. BarType will return:

0 = TickBar
1 = Intraday
2 = Daily
3 = Weekly
4 = Monthly
5 = Point & Figure

Examples
BarType returns 0 when applied to price data based on tick interval.

BarType returns 2 when applied to price data based on daily interval.

Additional Example
To assure that a statement is executed only on a daily chart we can write:

If BarType = 2 then Sell next bar at market;

Re:What is your actual question on the function? BarType Function

Hello rdstagg,

Thank you for reply. I was going to import a Pivots indicator to TS 2000i. The detail formula as following : When I verify the indicator, the error message is that BarType word not recognized by EasyLanguage . I mean I am looking an EasyLanguage function for BarType or anybody has one I can use.

Sincerely

{
See <a href="http://www.ticon.net/~prosten/stuff_on_pivots.htm" target="_blank">http://www.ticon.net/~prosten/stuff_on_pivots.htm</a>
Central pivot point P = (H[1] + L[1] + C[1]) / 3
First resistance R1 = (2*P) - L[1]
First support S1 = (2*P) - H[1]
Second resistance R2 = P + (R1 - S1)
Second support S2 = P - (R1 - S1)
}

{ Since TradeStation can only plot three lines, this plot plots
R1 and S1 (hence the name) plus the Central Pivot.
}
vars:pivot(-1),R1(0),S1(0),R2(0),S2(0);

if BarType < 2 then begin { intraday or tick bars }
if Date <> Date[1] then begin { a new day: recalculate the pivots }
Pivot = (HighD(1) + LowD(1) + CloseD(1)) / 3;
R1 = (2*Pivot) - LowD(1);
S1 = (2*Pivot) - HighD(1);
R2 = Pivot + (R1 - S1);
S2 = Pivot - (R1 - S1);
end;
if Pivot > 0 then begin
plot1(Pivot,"Pivot",White);
plot2(R1, "R1", Red);
plot3(S1, "S1", Green);
end;
end;

rdstagg said:
If you look in the help(F1) menu that tells you all about it.

BarType (Reserved Word)
Disclaimer

Returns a number indicating the interval setting of the price data an analysis technique is applied to.

Remarks
The number returned is based on the data interval of the price data. BarType will return:

0 = TickBar
1 = Intraday
2 = Daily
3 = Weekly
4 = Monthly
5 = Point & Figure

Examples
BarType returns 0 when applied to price data based on tick interval.

BarType returns 2 when applied to price data based on daily interval.

Additional Example
To assure that a statement is executed only on a daily chart we can write:

If BarType = 2 then Sell next bar at market;

The line is not essential to the code If you know the periodicity of the charts you will implement this strategy on ?? It seems it only checks the periodicity of the data to stop it printing on anything greater than an intra-day chart. It verified OK in TS8, I have 2000i at my office so will check it out on Tuesday, it is not a function I have used before.

My new year good deed

I don't want this to become a habit but I enclose code for Pivot points (2 types) that should work on 2000i.

It is not my original work but I have altered it substantially - so the quirks are all mine.
It allows you to plot as many as 7 different individual levels but logically you would use 3,5 and then 7.
You can have the text on the screen ("Show_Numbers")) which shows you the exact reading.

etc.etc

As a tradestation user can I recommend the tradestation forum at tradestation.com - it is fabulous.

Russell
PS Times are UK times and if you want to change them you must alter the variable End_Plot_time (default 2100).

Attachments

• Pivot type 2.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Bar Type

BarType = datacompression for 2000i users
so bartype < 2 becomes datacompression <2

TS2000i - Omega Research Task Scheduler icon in taskbar

Hi

I have TS2000i installed on my PC and the Omega Reasearch Task Scheduler icon is always loaded in the taskbar. The Omega Reasearch Task Scheduler is a running process in Windows Task Manager, and it may be the case that it needs to be there while TS2000i is installed on a PC.

It isn't causing any problems - I just find it a bit annoying - as i do not have any scheduled tasks. I want to disable this icon, but have not been able to find how to. I am aware of how to hide a taskbar item - but not how to remove an inactive icon. Is this possible? Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks a lot

jtrader.

Thanks riddle.

I have not been doing as you suggest - as it is really a fairly trivial matter except that the orschd.exe process uses 3164 kilobytes of my memory usage- but did know that it was possible to exit in the way you suggest. The trouble with doing that is that it is only a temporary solution, and then ext time the PC is turned on I would need to do the same thing again. I am wanting to know if there is a permanent solution.

Cheers

jtrader.

Take a look in your startup folder (C:\Documents and Settings\sr\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) and remove the shortcut to the OR task scheduler.

Hi everyone

Can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain a used (or new) copy of Tradestation or Pro-suite. I have done a few quick searches on Ebay (both UK and US) but nothing is coming up.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jackal007

Im new to the forum and I would appreciate your assistance,,,I'm working with 2000i with esignal intraday data....I tried to download data with the on line downloader ,,and I tried to connect and gather data directly with Esignal......I had a friend send me the update 4 c update and the 5 c update ,,but trying to open file and keep getting message (the decompression of %sfailed.there may not be enough free disk space availalbe in the TEMP directory)) Not sure where to go from here,Thanks Dton

Hi dton

You would be better posting the question elswhere in the forum as I am simply trying to obtain a used copy of Tradestation so I wont be much use to you.

Regards
jackal007

jackal007 said:
Hi dton

You would be better posting the question elswhere in the forum as I am simply trying to obtain a used copy of Tradestation so I wont be much use to you.

Regards
jackal007
Thanks for getting back to me,,regards Danny