Tradestation 8 & Tradestation 2000i

I have a collection of Omega Research trading system guides and easy language reference & getting started guides in pdf format. These contain examples of easy language/strategies.
However, I would like a more comprehensive resource that is a glossary/dictionary of easy language commands, that I can quickly reference in order to find the right word/s when developing signals etc. in ts2000i. Is anybody aware of such a resource and where I can get hold of it?

Many thanks

jtrader.

In Easylanguage Select "Tools" and then select "EasyLanguage Dictionary" virtually all the terms you need are in there.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I have been a bit confused by the purpose of the easylanguage dictionary in the easy language power editor, in terms of looking up words in order to find the exact easy language terms. I can now see how it can be used to look up and select terms such as 'IF' 'THEN' 'BUY' 'SELL'.

Thanks again

jtrader.

Datafeed for TS 2000 i

bdholmes said:
You can get data from SCMagic into TS2000i by a combination of Mnd2Txt and Hypertools for XPO (both freeware).

Hello Sir,

Could you tell me more details about SCMagic into TS 2000i with Mind2Txt and Hypertoolsfor XPO ? I really like that combinations. I need that for future trading.

Sincerely

Hi

I have managed to create daily EUR/USD forex data that I require in an Excel file from http://www.dukascopy.com/english/cquotes/CSV

I then convert it to xpo/globalserver format with the free utility hypertools for xpo.

I then try importing the created xpo file into globalserver, i get to the screen which asks - "Choose Symbols to Import, then Click Next."...............however, in the sreen below there are no symbols displayed - it is blank and so I cannot import the data.

How can I ensure that the symbol/file is displayed in this screen, and so enabling me to select it and then import it?

Many thanks

jtrader.

Last edited:
Hi Paul

In globalserver I go to file - import data - globalserver format.

I then "Choose Files to Import:" by scanning my c drive and selecting the right xpo file on my desktop, click next and on the following screen "Choose Symbols to Import, then Click Next." there are no symbols displayed in the dialogue box - it is blank and so I cannot import the xpo data file.

Thanks

jtrader.

TS2000i vs TS8 + TS Tools

Hi there,
Let me add my 2p's worth to this (apologies for the parts that have already been said previously).

TS2000i is the old version of TS which is no longer officially supported by TradeStation Securities (formerly Omega Researcy) though you can still buy copies from resellers. The Pro-Suite version of TS2000i includes Option Station for your option trading as well as Radar Screen which is a sort of real-time scanning system. To run TS2000i you will need a seperate datafeed and possibily some intermediate convertion software to link the feed to the Global Server part of TS2000i which handles the data. You can import data from a variety of sources into the Global Server and also import ASCII data directly into the charts but not intraday ASCII data into the Global Server without first translating it into XPO format.

TS8 is the current latest version of the product. It differs from TS2000i in that the datafeed and historic data are both integrated into the platform so you are tied to their feed and data. You can subsribe for $99 per month and you can also trade with them for a $50k minimum account size. The key points to note are:
1. It only currently covers US markets and forex markets. If you want other markets you will have to use TS2000i or wait until TS eventually add them.
2. You have to use their feed and historic data though you don't have to trade with them.
3. The historic data is not always that brilliant. Their historic forex data only goes back a couple of years but it is clean. Some of their other historic end of data is pretty poor.
4. Having said all that it is very convenient not having to worry about data feeds and importing data etc.

There are a number of 3rd Party vendors who offer various tools to help with both versions of TS, including importing of historic data etc. I'm not familiar enough with them to be able to comment directly on them so you may wisth to investigate them yourself:

HyperTrader
Investment Engineering
RT Soft
TS Support

Hope this helps

Hi Paul

I am also unable to import EOD EUR/USD Excel/ascii data into globalserver from www.dukascopy.com .

I have managed to create daily EUR/USD forex data that I require in an Excel file from http://www.dukascopy.com/english/cquotes/CSV and it does have data in it.

In globalserver I go to file - import data - ascii format.

I then "Choose Files to Import:" by scanning my c drive and selecting the right Excel file on my desktop, click next and on the following screen "Choose Symbols to Import, then Click Next." there are no symbols displayed in the dialogue box - it is blank and so I cannot import the Excel data file.

Therefore I cannot import Excel or xpo files into globalserver that originate from http://www.dukascopy.com/english/cquotes/CSV .

(Paul) have you tried importing/creating a Excel or xpo datafile from this website and importing it into globalserver?

If so, have you been successful? If yes, please could you tell me exactly how you managed it?

Thanks again

jtrader

Last edited:
Hi I have an access database of 1 minute EUR-USD data - date, time, open, high, low, close.

I want to get it into globalserver. I exported it to an Excel spreadsheet and then tried converting the spreadsheet to globalserver/xpo format using hypertools for xpo. Although I was able to create the xpo file - I have again been unable to get it into globalserver for the same reason as my previous post -

"In globalserver I go to file - import data - globalserver format.

I then "Choose Files to Import:" by scanning my c drive and selecting the right xpo file on my desktop, click next and on the following screen "Choose Symbols to Import, then Click Next." there are no symbols displayed in the dialogue box - it is blank and so I cannot import the xpo data file."

Also, after exporting the access database into "Microsoft Excel 1997-2000" i notice that it has changed the time column. In access the time is in 1 minute format - eg. 00:02:00, in the Excel spreadsheet the time column is filled by the same prefix number - 00-01-1900, and then the time 00:02:00.

Is it possible to get access data into globalserver, or do i need to import into excel?

How can I best get this data into globalserver?

Many thanks

jtrader.

Have you saved the data in Excel as csv format rather than xls ?

Also I have never needed to download data and convert it as you are trying to do so I wouldnt know what the issues are.

Paul

Hi Paul

when exporting to excel form access, my nearest option was to save it as Microsoft Excel 1997-2000. After doing this, I then resaved it as a CSV (Comma delimited) file. yes it has now been saved as a csv file and still the above problem arises - the xpo file does not appear in the hypertools for xpo dialogue box.

Another problem I get with Excel is when I make a slight change - widening a column so that the data can be displayed - and try saving the change - I get the following messages.

The file EURUSD_2004.csv already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?

Yes No

I click yes. I then get this message.

EURUSD_2004.csv may contain features that are not compatible with CSV (Comma Delimited) . Do you want to keep the workbook in this format?

. To keep this format, which leaves out any incompatible features, click Yes.
. To preserve the features, click No. Then save a copy in the latest Excel format.
. To see what might be lost, click Help.

Yes No Help

If I click Yes, it saves the changes and closes. But when I re-open the file, the changes haven't been saved.

If I click no it doesn't save any changes or close the file.

Any ideas

Thanks

jtrader.

Last edited:
Also, after exporting the access database into "Microsoft Excel 1997-2000" i notice that it has changed the time column. In access the time is in 1 minute format - eg. 00:02:00, in the Excel spreadsheet the time column is filled by the same prefix number - 00-01-1900, and then the time 00:02:00.

Hi Paul

I have solved the above problem. In the created Excel file, I did Format - Cells - Time -and selected 13:30:55. This got rid of the 00-01-1900 prefix.

Cheers.

Last edited:
You could try contacting hypertools as they are quite good at helping solve issues similar to the one you are having. Unfortunately I have limited knowledge of importing ascii files because I have not needed to use it.

Paul

a_gnome said:
You can subsribe for $99 per month and you can also trade with them for a $50k minimum account size.

I was just at their site looking over the structures for trading futures with these folks. Becasue of my small account size, I am only interested in the e-mini contracts. It looks like I can trad the E-mini S&P, E mini Nasdaq, or the E-mini Euro for $5.00 round trip in commissions. Minimum initial account is $5,000. Margin on the instruments above for day traders is $1,000 or less. If you open an account and just paper trade (or trade infrequently) there is a platform fee of $100 month. If you want the platform without opening an account it's $200 month.

They are currently offering to wave the platform fee for a month if you open an account, so you can try it.

This seems very reasonable to me. I hate to spend big bucks for software, only to find out I have to pay an "upgrade fee" 3 months later. The $100 /month lets me plan my cost.

The only question is, does another broker offer a better deal, or a better platform? I see a lot of futures brokers who off free platforms, but they don't seem to have the backtesting features that are built into tradestation - and I put a pretty high value on a big, strong user community. - You probably have to depend on your internet mates - no matter what program you are using.

JO

Hi Twalker

How do you backtest a strategy for the S&P emini future on TS2000 over a couple of years, since the contract expires 4 times a year? (sorry for this stupid question but I spent hours trying to figure that out on TS before writing this post).

Thanks a lot

Cheers

twalker said:
Although esignal works OK with globalserver I do not think it ideal for FX and indeed for EU futures esignal does not provide continuous contract so there is a problem if you want to backtest over a long period. For US futures esignal do provide continuous contracts but they are not back adjusted.

If you wish to look at US markets and FX TS8 may be by far the best bet for ease of operation. If you need EU markets too then TS2k is your only option as far as TS is concerned as TS8 allows only TS's own datafeed which does not yet include any EU products.

I use esignal and have found that using globalserver works, but is not the most elegant solution. I like the esignal platform on its own so decided to suffer the problems that globalserver downloads give me. For FX I often get gaps in the intra-day data unless I leave the thing running 24hrs. Also occassionaly it crashes when downloading historical data.

Used to use TS4 and futuresource and that seemed to work better but not sure if this is still an option. Need to shop around if deciding to use TS2K for best data provider for what you require, whether this is real-time or EOD.

Hi

When trying to install a service pack for ts2000i, I get this message -

"The decompression of %s failed. There may not be enough free disk space available in the TEMP directory."

I use windows xp home. Please can somebody specify the EXACT TEMP directory that is in question?

Many thanks

jtrader.