New T2W Website - What's New & Feedback Thread

Here's an idea of how to add comments to 'Likes', I don't know if it's implementable but here goes...

When you like a comment, a pop-up window appears. This window is basically just a 'Start a conversation' page, but a few fields are already filled in for you; firstly the recipient field is the person who's comment you've liked, the title would be something like: 'cbrads likes your comment!' (for example) and the comment that was 'liked' would be quoted in the text field. It would then just be a case of typing a few words in relation to the comment and then hitting 'Start Conversation'.

If you didn't want to comment, the pop-up could just be closed. The whole 'Comments on Likes' feature could be enabled/disabled in the preferences.

Thanks all for your comments about the likes functionality, I was also disappointed to learn it wasn't an out-of-the-box feature of Xenforo. It was probably the only real thing missing from the migration. I know that the Xenforo team are planning an enhancements to the Like functionality in the next version due out any day/week now; it still doesn't offer the comment functionality as far as I'm aware, but it allows you to choose a reaction (think emoticons) rather than just a like. The conversation functionality that @cbrads mentioned is pretty cool, think private threads on the fly, it could work to integrate it with likes (thanks for outlining your idea), but it'd require some custom work to get it done. For now I'd like to keep things as close to the core software as possible, so in future we can keep it up to date and not fall behind as we did before with Vbulletin.

The story goes back quite a few years @NVP, when Steve was in the driving seat and drafted the Community Constitution and Vendor Policies. They're still there via the Help link in the footer. I need to review them because they're now out of date, and we're not even following our own rules. I've also recently taken a harder line to members posting on the site, and that isn't reflect there. If I feel a member is posting fluff in order to increase their post cost, when really they're really only here to mention a particular broker, product or service, then I'm banning their account and deleting their posts. So if you read a post and suspect this is what's going on (you can normally tell quite quickly from a cursory glance at their recent posts) then please report it using the icon on the post.

Please post here your questions, comments, suggestions and feedback. As with all website upgrades/makeovers/new versions, it's going to take a bit of time to get used to the new site and figure out how to make the most of its shiny new features - myself included. Over the next few days I'll be posting some insights into the new features that members will actually want to use.

YOU only know how to shoot and kill by the push of a button, God, or can you play the harmonica too?

If the latter please institute a DISLIKE button asap so that I too can have some stats - the LIKE button is not working for me. Americans have the right to a profit too. :)

Then start a competition for who gets the most hits on the DISLIKE and prepare some continuous prizes for yours truly.

Thank you kindly, Mr. Gatlin

Fibo

Please post here your questions, comments, suggestions and feedback. As with all website upgrades/makeovers/new versions, it's going to take a bit of time to get used to the new site and figure out how to make the most of its shiny new features - myself included. Over the next few days I'll be posting some insights into the new features that members will actually want to use.

T2W now detects Adblocker and pages won't display unless Adblock Plus is disabled. Not impressed as useless adverts just get in the way and turn me off using the site.

T2W now detects Adblocker and pages won't display unless Adblock Plus is disabled. Not impressed as useless adverts just get in the way and turn me off using the site.
So how would you fund the site then?

I wouldn't !
The point is that I don't tend to visit sites that are plastered with adverts, they drive many people away.
Yup! I agree it's a problem. I'll only put up with adverts if the site has some worthwhile content (for me). I don't think there is an easy answer since a high quality ad-free site would require a subscription. I look at it in the context that before the Internet, information (good & bad quality) was much more expensive & difficult to obtain.

Interesting.

Do you honestly believe that Trade2Win is "plastered" with adverts? There are, on average, around 2.5 ads per page. Take a look at a host of other sites (in fact, almost any other site) and I believe you'll find this to be well under the norm. Ads are carefully chosen, relevant (there are no non-trading adverts), we don't run too many of them in order to keep a good balance, and yes, they fund the ongoing existence of the site. Why should you not have to pay for a service in some way or another? Should it be completely free, provided and maintained at absolutely no cost to you, and if so, why? Incidentally, the ad blocker was my suggestion to Paul, and I've run all the ads here since 2003, along with a number of other trading sites.

So, I wonder - could you please explain exactly what the problem is, so that I may gain a better understanding of your viewpoint.

YOU only know how to shoot and kill by the push of a button, God, or can you play the harmonica too?

If the latter please institute a DISLIKE button asap so that I too can have some stats - the LIKE button is not working for me. Americans have the right to a profit too. :)

Then start a competition for who gets the most hits on the DISLIKE and prepare some continuous prizes for yours truly.

Thank you kindly, Mr. Gatlin

Fibo

DISLIKE button, please.