Netgear Wireless Router

hampy

Hi all,
Have recently fitted a Netgear DG 834G wireless router.
It is described by Netgear as a 'firewall' router, and my supplier assures me that I may switch off Zone Alarm. However, being of suspicious mind, can anyone confirm if it is safe for me to do so?
Thx,
hampy

Hampy

I have the same router but the non wireless version, I've left Zonealarm running but haven't seen any problems in my ZA log since running the router. But why bother switching it off - the belt and braces approach is so much safer ! Also ZA warns me when other apps are request internet access rights.

HTH

Mac

I use a BT-Voyager wireless router and I turn off the internal h/w firewall and just leave my s/w installed Sygate versions running on each machine.

Far more controllable on each machine individually than centrally.

It depends upon how your routers firewall is configured. If by default it blocks all traffic originating from the internet, you can safely turn off ZA.

Having the firewall running on your computer will slow it and the connection down slightly (not significantly though). You might as well let the equipment do its job, although do remember to keep the 'firmware' up to date. It is usually a straight forward job to do this and requires downloading a file from the manufacturers web site (although back up the configuration first!)

Also, since you are using a wireless connection, it would be prudent to configure the router to encrypt the connection and to restrict MAC address access to that of your own computer(s).

I too rely on my routers firewall for my wireless connection (D-Link) and I do so with confidence. I just take the above precautions.

HTH

I don't think encryption is required if the decice allows ONLY specific MAC address access. That's not to say someone can't eavesdrop with another wireless device nearby....

CM - Yes, its not required in terms of firewall protection. It's just to protect from eavesdroppers like you say, in the same way that MAC address restriction prevents other wireless users in the locality from 'hijacking' the connection.

Just useful extras to switch on/know about IMHO.

Ta

(ie Encryption will prevent malicious eavesdroppers from 'seeing' what is passing through your connection and MAC address restrictions will prevent the unauthorised use of a connection - although a MAC address can be 'spoofed').