wireless and downloading

tonyjai

i use sharasza to download files..........i tried leaving my laptop on last night for downlaoding with the screen folded down.......all settings in power management is set to never meaning that no harddrive is shut, does not go into hibernation....and so on.......

however this morning when i went to check how the downloads were going i noticed that as soon as i opened up my laptop screen the wireless network connection saying " wireless network is now connected"............hence, the wireless network was switched off or was limited in speed over the night. there was not much downloading so the wireless network was switched off......i use xp with the service pack2 on....also have a belking router.

would this do with the wireless connection? the service pack 2? or the router? how can i prevent the connectivity from switching off? it does not switch of when i have the laptop screen opened. will using a wired connection help?thanks....

Sounds like power management to me, but you reckon it's off?

Have you checked the 'Advanced' tab in Power Options? There's a setting for what to do when you shut the lid.

Failing that, why not just leave the screen open, with a blank screensaver if you like, or set the screen to switch off in power managment?

yeah i am sure all setting are set to "never", if i leave the screen on....it will jump to a screen saver and this will also affect the connectivity,, but i have now set it to 500mins, therefore the screen saver will not kick in...................but leaving my screen on all night is waste of electricity,.....i'm sure theres a way to prevent connectivity from losing. many thanks for your reply

An LCD screen on a Laptop will take very little power.

However I do not think this is related to your issue, it is simply more likely that the Wireless link went down then up. This could be due to a whole number of things. I do not think you can rely on any wireless connection to the degree you want too.

However all the P2P networks I use, the clients always recover from such failures...

JonnyT

If your wireless kit connects through USB you might want to check that the USB hubs aren't set for the computer to turn them off to save power. You can check this through Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers, there should be a Power Managment tab for each controller - well, there is on this laptop, maybe not on desktop machines.