Network a new wireless laptop

ian

Established member
Hi, I need some advice from an expert regarding the following:

I have a main pc (xp) which is connected to the internet by cable and another laptop networked to the main pc by a hub. I have bought a new laptop and changed the router to wireless and both pc and the laptop (vista) are working fine independantly but I dont know if its possible to network both machines as before, ie printer and file sharing etc?

Any advice gratefully received.

Yes, you can network and file/printer share wirelessly. All that you need to ensure is that all the machines are in the same workgroup, then set up the mapped drives/shared printers and you're done. Make sure that any third party firewalls are correctly configured to allow file sharing and that should be it.

Yes, you can network and file/printer share wirelessly. All that you need to ensure is that all the machines are in the same workgroup, then set up the mapped drives/shared printers and you're done. Make sure that any third party firewalls are correctly configured to allow file sharing and that should be it.

Will it work even if the pc is still 'wired' and the laptop is wireless?

thanks.

Yep, the network couldn't care less how the connections exist, as long as they exist.

My home network consists of:

Wireless Intel iMac
Wireless Intel MacBook
Wired XP desktop
Wired Vista desktop
Wireless XP laptop

They can all use the same printer (assuming the main Mac is on which is where the printer is wired to), share the same connection and share files and folders.