Qwest Short 8.90 closed 8.64 + 2.92%
Newmont Mining Long 51.00 closed 52.24 + 2.43 %
Comcast short 34.99 closed 34.70 +0.82 %
Qwest Short 8.98 closed 8.63 +3.89%
E.ON Short 100.24 closed 96.90 +3.33 %
Capita Group Short 554.00 closed 545.00 + 1.62%
BP Long 575.80 closed 585.00 + 1.73%

Hi dailyworldtrader

I think that if you were serious about this venture you would disclose the system.

I think it was Richard Dennis, founder of the turtle traders who said that he could publish the systems rules in a broadsheet newspaper and people would still not follow the system properly (or something like that).

You would have much more credibilty disclosing the system rules and then searching for investors to trade them expertly, rather than trying to be secretive. I am assuming that if an investor comes along you will disclose the system to them (if not then I put your chances of raising money in the many zeroes).

Otherwise can I suggest you try friends and family and then trading with their money for a couple of years. This is much more likely to be a pathway to your end.

Regards

Ben

Signals 18-10-06

Hi,

For today18-01-06 we have this signal :

Sell AVIVA ( London-Footsie ) @ 785.00 limit : 772.00 stop : 810.00

Hold longs on Halliburton

Hold shorts on Applied Materials and AXA

Book of closed trades

Royal Dutch shell Short 27.84 closed 27.50 + 1.22%
Bellsouth Short 40.84 closed 41.35 - 1.24%

Runthenumbers : I will think about you idea about disclosing the trading method. Although knowing the method only a few have the skills to trade it.

Although knowing the method only a few have the skills to trade it.

Exactly. I'm sure you are right. Knowing the method doesn't mean that everyone can do it.

How many people know Mark Johnsons PGO rules, or the Turtle Trading rules but don't trade them.

I'm sure you will get much more positive contributions if you show people the way in which you are getting your results.

Regards

Ben

Signals 20-10-06

Hi,

Today 20-10-06

Place a limit on Applied Materials @ 17.05

We are

long on Halliburton
Short on Applied Materials, Axa and Aviva

Book of closed trades

CMCSK closed

you didnt open CMCSK long, means you couldnt recognize the long pattern on this one.

Something severe is going wrong.

Sell AVIVA ( London-Footsie ) @ 785.00 is wrong too

the trend is your friend. you are trading against the trend. this is against any rule.

Limit executed

Hi,

Limit on Applied MAterials was executed last friday.

Place a limit on Halliburton @ 33.99

We still are :

Long on Halliburton

Short on Axa and Aviva

Book of closed trades

Applied Materials Short @ 17.54 closed 17.05 + 2.79%

pssonice : the pattern trades when a correction against the trend is highly probable; many stocks are in a bullish trend and because so the pattern is making profit with short trades.

Limit executed on Aviva. New signal 02-11-06

Hi,

Limit has been executed on Aviva @ 772

For today 2-11-06 we have this signal :

SELL DELL @ 24.20 stop 25.15 limit 23.50

We still are :

Long on Halliburton

Short on Axa

Book of closed trades

Applied Materials Short 17.54 closed 17.05 + 2.79%
Aviva Short 785.00 closed 772.00 + 1.65 %

JDR : If you trade randomly you are going to loose a lot of money on bear markets, while I will earn money tracking the pattern. In bull markets you will earn at least 50% with this pattern, do you think that the Dow Jones is going to go up a 50% in a year ?

Cool it JDR

*JDR* said:
You quite often miss the point of what people are saying.

Is english your first language?

JDR - As a newcomer to trading, I really do think you have neither the track record nor
the eperience to be as rude as this to another trader who has been brave enought to
post his trading for all to see - and I am disappointed the moderators have not removed your post.

It is not surprising that your random picks have performed randomly well in a bull market.

You will also randomly lose your random shirt when a serious bear market randomly occurs, as inevitably it will, sooner or later.

Since your trading scheme (LOL) is as unsophisticated as sticking a pin in, You can count on it. Simple statistics prove you can do no better than the indexes as a whole, and only then if you manage to avoid the fear factor.

So the fact that you have simply been lucky for a paltry period of weeks to do better than this trader, does not earn you any right to post in such a manner.

I suggest you spend a couple of years
(a) watching
( b) learning
(c) gaining the experience that all markets are not bull
(d) learning how to profit in a changing market
Then giving others the benefit of your then experience.

Missing the point

YOU are missing the point. as you have proved in this post, and most of your others: in this and in other threads.

*JDR* said:
You are not doing very well really considering what has happened in the markets since the start of this thread.

I randomly picked a few stocks and am seeing up to 14% return.

You seem to think that a positive balance on your account rather larger than this trader above signifies that he is not doing well, and you are doing better.

It means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL.
DOODLY SQUAT
ZIP.

What matters in this business is consistent returns in varying market conditions over long periods, and so what happens over a period of a few weeks matters not (provided that the drawdown is acceptable. You will never make a succesful trader until you understand that, and you are clearly missing the point until you do.

Your "system" is still not even of the blocks since it has had only a few weeks of either trading . If you are still posting consistent profits in two years better than this trader, or can show a backtest that survives bull and bear conditions, then is the time to criticise him, or promote your scheme over his.

Your phrase

*JDR* said:
You quite often miss the point of what people are saying.
Is english your first language?

Is offensive, and not acceptable on any forum - particularly from a newcomer.

A few words of comment however:

Your system picks random stocks. Clearly therefore any statistician will tell you that you can on average do no better than the index if trading long only, except the variance of your holdings price must on average be greater than the index, because you cannot take advantage of the variance reduction that occurs on aggregation. So your drawdown will be greater. If you trade short and long randomly , then on the basis of a zero sum game, you will simply lose a continuous stream of trading charges, and will not even benefit from a long term trend.

Your system has a random entry condition.to select direction(stock>50ma) Do a long term backtest and you will prove that this has no statistical correlation to market direction whatsoever. ( as I and others have done - you it seems have yet to do this basic stuff)

Your system specifies an inviolate stop loss of 5% But it specifies no fromulated exit profit or time condition.(LOL) Therefore on average you will wait till you lose 5% on each trade,

You seem to think that it is only psychology that matters, that so long as you are a stubborn lad, and refuse to exit until you have lost the requisite amount to other traders on each trade, then somehow you can win. Clearly that is both philosophical and scientific nonsense.

The psychology only comes in when you have established the expected calculated drawdown of a REAL SYSTEM that does backtest properly, and then you must stay in within limits of that drawdown. However most REAL traders work within limits. If they lose their max for a week or a month they sit out of the market. If they see turmoil (such as post 9/11) or possible onset of war most will stay out of the market until they can confirm that their system is not jeapordised: or they are taking a specific speculation on the fundamental consequences of those events on markets. The market will be there tomorrow. The question is will you, or will you have blown your account by then?

That you have "made a profit at all" is only because the SP500 has had one of its longer bull runs in recent history , and randomly you happened to be long. Rolling a 6 on a dice does not make you a good trader- it just makes you lucky.

So I suggest you do not back this "scheme" LOL with real money - and do not promote it further until and if you have done a backtest.

On the other hand,

Looking at the patterns in the trading of this trader "looking for investor" I see signs that he does know what he is doing: and it really is not helpful to him or others reading this topic, to see posts that imply that just because "a monkey sticking a pin in" happened to roll a six on a dice makes his system anyway inferior, or yours even worthy of consideration.

*JDR* said:
Great rant by the way.

My apologies KIMRUNNER. I have just realised who you are. I now recall a few other posts of yours. You are the guy who thinks he knows everything and developed a system that was returning... was it 250%? and you couldn't comprehend why nobody would pay you good money for it.

Again, my apologies. You are obviously a genious and deserving of more respect and adulation. Please bless us with your wise words.

***eagerly awaiting your genious***
Guys

Forget all the verbage. What this really comes down to is the subject of the thread "looking for an investor". The question is has this guy sufficiently impressed any investor in his capacity to make a profit. In fact I woud humbly suggest, his capacity to make an extraoordinary profit. If the answer is yes the someone might invest in his prowess, if no then they will not.

How long does this go on before such a decision is made ?

Charlton

Charlton said:
Guys

Forget all the verbage. What this really comes down to is the subject of the thread "looking for an investor". The question is has this guy sufficiently impressed any investor in his capacity to make a profit. In fact I woud humbly suggest, his capacity to make an extraoordinary profit. If the answer is yes the someone might invest in his prowess, if no then they will not.

How long does this go on before such a decision is made ?

Charlton

I have been looking at some of his trades and they are interesting.

The problem he has is that he is going the wrong way about impressing an investor.if speed is of the essence.

He has only three choices:

(a) To carry on posting a history, but I doubt that any investor would be convinced on a verifiable history of over a year, and probably two years. I myself would not be convinced on the basis of less than 5 years back testing and a years trading to prove the system can perform to the backtest in real trading: so he wil spend a long time on this board, if he wants to take this route. I do not think even dramatic performance over a short period convinces anyone. As I pointed out to JDR, anyone can roll six, or even 5 sixes in a row on a dice.

Or

(b) To publish the scheme itself : so that people can validate the method. Problem is of course you cannot copyright or patent the idea, so that the act of validation removes the ability to sell it.
Clearly not viable.

Or

(c) To find a respected financial journalist: put him under a seal of non disclosure, and by dint of his own trading records and information on the system - get the journalist to vouch for it.
As a second best, get a solicitor or respected accountant to do the same. Problem is
guys like these are too worried about being sued to take the risk!

It really is a catch 22, but I think his best shot is (c) not (a) as he is attempting here.

a few random picks are outperforming him ?...

*JDR* said:
This was my whole point about questioning his performance. I never pretended that my random selection was a good strategy nor do I actually use such a system.

The point is, if a few random picks are outperforming him (maybe not in reality, but they are sure close),

And my point is you have no evidence at all, much less proof, whether or not you are outperforming him, or even close. Compare your 5 year results as a mixture of backtesting and trading if you want to comment on how schemes compare. Even 3 months is statistically meaning less, because the market has been in a stable trend for that long: one of the longerbull runs on the SP,

If you read the financial media you will know that there are a lot of serious market players concerned that both the DOW and SP are ready for a correction, and that is a mindset that can turn a market twitch into a full blown bear, as they programme panic sells into their portfolios. Others are saying that neither the SP or DOW has overheated when compared tothe all share index which has suffered a recent correction.Take your pick on the macro economics - but sooner or later a bear will happen.

If your scheme survives the bear run when it comes, the uncertainty, then the next bear or bull, you can start to believe the pattern results.

I well remember a trader on these boards promoting a forex system 18 months ago which seemed to work on breakouts of forex from a trading range established in early am trading, and to be sure: it backtested and traded well for 6 months: then it died a horrible death of successive monthly losses., so even 6 months is nothing. One problem backtesting intraday, is the sheer size of data files needed to do it even over months!

Maybe he modified it to work. Maybe he didnt - I do not know what became of him - & I do not thnk he posts here now. But in its original form the scheme no longer worked.

So I personally will not trade any scheme that cannot be backtested successfully for at least ten years, through all of the turmoil of the millenium: and I have spent years on and off back testing trading schemes: only to discount most of the absolute cr*p served up in trading textbooks - because it cannot perform consistently.

So coming back to my conclusion 5 weeks is not even indicative of performance. It is meaningless.

However: I have looked at some of the patterns this trader is trading, and I see a logic and a potential in the trading. Whether or not he survives the long haul remains to be seen.

*JDR* said:
then why should an investor give him 100k as opposed to giving it to a fund manager, for example?

As regards Fund managers - it is a damning indictment that 90% of funds underperform the indexes - and I have nothing but condemnation for the managers of my various locked pension funds. I cant even move most of them to a SIPP without massive losses!, and a monkey could have done better than they did So I stopped putting money intofunds 10 years ago!

Limit executed on Dell

Hi,

The limit on Dell was executed yesterday at 23.50

We are:

Long on Halliburton

Short on Axa

Book of closed trades

Applied Materials Short 17.54 closed 17.05 + 2.79%
Aviva Short 785.00 closed 772.00 + 1.65 %
Dell Short 24.20 closed 23.50 +2.89 %

TOTAL ACCUMULATED + 24.05

JDR : Be sure that trading randomly and holding the stocks 10 years at the best you will reply the performance of the index, and you can do the same investing in a fund that tracks an index like Dow Jones or Eurostoxx 50 . Randomly you loose money in bear markets, with a good trading pattern you make money in bear markets too.

KIMMRUNNER : I totally agree with you. Probably i'm going to publish the pattern soon here and give the looser investors the chance to make money.