Must trash trading book

samtron

Established member
Must trash trading book

Following on from Des44's post "must have trading book" this is for books that you would like to pass on to your worst enemy as a gift.
Heres my choice a book i read about 4yrs ago.

The way of the Warrior Trader-RD Mcall

Politicians life story books Ugh!
Not a trading book? sorry... but think about it... politicians are the reasons for economies being where they are now.
We are at their mercy and they suck in the gullible and manipulate, distort, make new laws in their favour.

The way of the warrior trader.

Compares being a trader to being a Samurai Warrior. Worth a laugh...

Also.

Day trader Secrets, by FreidFertig and West. except for the last chapter which was by the authors the
rest of the book contains a collection of completely worthless interviews with successfull daytraders
(atleast they were succesfull at the time ). They dispense such advice as "know your levels", "play relative
strength", "if the market is strong you probably want to be long" blah blah etc.

frugi said:
The Compleat [sic] Day Trader II by Jake Bernstein springs to mind.

This guy is an Ass. Pardon the language, he used to push a trading system on late night infomercials in the states. I love the fact he stole the Beatles spelling to push his book full of stolen ideas and worthless information. I just realized that the libel laws in the UK are a lot stiffer than the US.

Jake is a gentleman and a scholar...

Come into my trading room by Elder.

Please take no offence as many people seem to have enjoyed this book. It is just that I seem to be in a minority with regards to trading books. Many highly recommended ones have proved useless to me, while I have found what I need in some little known ones.

Unfortunately this book falls into the former category. :(

I nearly bought Bernstein's book as well, just as well i didn't.

We had this topic before and my answer is the same as then: Alan Farley's Master Swing Trader thingy. Utter worthless boolocks. Convoluted, unintelligible rubbish.

I think that you are all being to harsh on the Authors.

Where is do you go when you have failed at trading, but believe you are still
too moral to enter politics.

Write a trading book of course, using the power of hindsight.

We should all re read these books with a contrarian mind ......oops
I think I can feel a new system coming on.

Show me a system that consistently losses money and I will
show you a way of making a steady income.

Bramble,

Hmm. Well I just dug it out and okay it isn't disgracefully awful, but at the time I learnt absolutely nothing new from it and fell for his propaganda that slates discretionary systems. Perhaps if it had been the first trading book I read I wouldn't have minded wasting fifty quid quite so much. There was some reasonable advice on psychology in it, I'll give him that, but otherwise just lots of wordy waffle and stuff that doesn't work.

Lazy, recycled vague information. Superfluity galore. Pointless long winded section on indicators that could be summed up in one line by "indicators work sometimes".

Most importantly, his mistaken and strong belief that there's no point trading anything except mechanical systems. This is seriously dangerous and bad advice. Ironically the book contains several that don't work, plagiarised from other people, accompanied by carefully selected backtests so it looks like they do.

"A hunch and a feeling are emotional. Although they may be based on some internal sense of logic, they are not sufficiently operational or mechanical for use by the day trader. Hence they must be discarded. They have no place in the repetoire of the day trader. Eliminate them from your bag of tricks. They will not serve you well."

Absolute rubbish. Intuition can often save one from taking or staying with a bad position. It is essentially pattern recognition. The subconscious is well worth listening to. Anyway trading doesn't have to be one or the other (all gut or all mechanical) and he misses this point entirely.

Just had another good look through my bookshelves.

" Champion Trader" is definitely going in the microwave for an hour on high.

clylbw said:
Come into my trading room by Elder.

Please take no offence as many people seem to have enjoyed this book. It is just that I seem to be in a minority with regards to trading books. Many highly recommended ones have proved useless to me, while I have found what I need in some little known ones.

Unfortunately this book falls into the former category. :(

Would you add the recommended ones to Des44's thread?

Trade2Win Boards > The Traders Forums > General Trading Chat
Must-have trading book...

OK, it's not a trading book but is money related.

'How To Make Your First $100 million' or some stupid title like that. Cost $277 and there was a post about it in the last few days.

No, I haven't read it but major probabilities state that it's only for fools and wannabe-get-rich-quick dreamers.

Last edited by a moderator: