Must-have trading book...

Baruch

Experienced member
1,450 7
jezza888 said:
Are you on commision?! :eek: :LOL:
No, I just want to send a message: Don't buy all that modern crap, buy some good classics, like Darvas' books. But the Livermore books are also good. And Baruch's... :D

frugi

1,827 125
Actually that's given me an idea Chicken. How about everyone lists their 10, or indeed any number of favourite non-trading books, the ones that have earned permanent pride of place on the bedside table. No criteria as such, as long as nobody mentions the bleedin' Da Vinci Code . :) It just needs to be well-thumbed and even better have caused a paradigm shift in your thinking, or have given superlative joy to your soul, that sort of thing.

We want the finest tomes available to humanity and we want them here and now.

Call the police Mrs. Blennerhasset, the moderator's clearly confused t2w with a site for pretentious angsty teenage boys with their precocious noses buried earnestly in The Magus. :D No, seriously it could be interesting.

If there's a hefty response I'll split it into the Foyer and eat a weasel for brunch.

SOCRATES

Veteren member
4,966 134
There is a book that is a must have, absolutely essential reading for any trader who is successful.

It is not about trading. It is about people.

The title of the book is :~

RESENTMENT AGAINST ACHIEVEMENT

Author: Robert Sheaffer.

Publishers: Prometheus Books

ISBN Number: 0879754478.

Price about US$ 20=

I strongly recommed it. It is book that clearly explains the mechanism of envy and its implications, the forces that drive it and their consequences for the drivers of these forces. It is brilliant. It does not tell the envious and corrosive how not to be the way they are however.

Last edited:

sulong

249 15
frugi said:
No criteria as such, as long as nobody mentions the bleedin' Da Vinci Code . :)
Why ? Whats wrong with the DaVinci Code?

frugi

1,827 125
Oops sorry sulong my intention was not to offend with that hastily chosen choice.

Since you ask, I found that the execrable quality of the writing completely ruined any thrill there may have been in the (somewhat plagiarised) story for me, but I do not wish to criticise anyone for their choice of literature. Style is only one of the mighty trio, after all, and anyway I've got a 'book' about Pikachu on my bedside table, so I'm on very unsteady ground here. :)
If it's in your top 10 or you liked it I'd love to know why, that would be much better. Let's keep it positive.

Thanks for kicking things off Soc. Your rec is 20 quid on UK Amazon, so it's on my Wish List for the moment. Here's hoping this innocent brain-picking exercise yields further hidden gems to keep it company. :D

sulong

249 15
Not offended at all. I was just checking on the ground rules, and was curious as to why that title was chosen instead of say "Debbie does Dallas; the sequel".
:cool:

Thanks

Chicken Curry

148 6
I believe that you can improve your trading immeasurably by reading this fabulous classic.

You just need to be rather abstract and get outside of that box.

Baruch

Experienced member
1,450 7
Chicken Curry said:
I believe that you can improve your trading immeasurably by reading this fabulous classic.

You just need to be rather abstract and get outside of that box.
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Baruch

Experienced member
1,450 7
Charlton said:
Baruch

This Darvas guy must be really really good. Looking at only the last page of your last posts you have recommended him at least 14 times !

May I ask:
- do you trade his methods ?
- do you have anything to do with any organisation which promotes his material ?
- without giving a link to any site, what are the main benefits of following his advice
- what, briefly, are the main aspects of his style/methodology etc

Charlton
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Huge profits - and you only have to work 5 min every day.
4. Read his books.
;)

Baruch

Experienced member
1,450 7
Charlton said:
Quenkish

Thanks - I hope that Baruch can enlighten us a little with a summary. OK - I could go and buy the book if I really wanted to, but a little persuasion would not go amiss. But as I said I don't just want a link I would like to hear some reasoning and I'm sure other readers would appreciate that also.

I have an open mind and ready to listen to all opinions

Charlton
Well, the Darvas book cost only 10 bucks, so I suppose all here can afford that? If you read my links, you will get a summary. ;)

http://www.meta-formula.com/How-I-Made-2-Million-in-the-stockmarket.html

FXSCALPER2

Established member
964 280
chump said:
Frugi,
I'm not much for reading fiction so I'll just give you a few books I've read that have made a lasting impact..

BF Skinner Contingencies of reinforcement
BF Skinner The Analysis of Behavior

Ludwig WittgensteinTractatus

Ayn Rand Atlas shrugged

L Peters Peters Principle (and generalisations of the principle)

Vilfredo Pareto Cours d'economic politique (english translation)

Robert Koch The secret of achieving more with less in management

Mark Twain The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn
You actually read and understood the Tractatus? Kudos to you my friend. As to Ayn Rand, I used to like her a lot when I was a teenager. I now think she is simplistic and blissfully ignorant, which isn't always a bad thing.

FXSCALPER2

Established member
964 280
chump said:
"she is simplistic and blissfully ignorant"...so do I ,but everything I read that made an impact did not make an impact simply because I agreed with it in it's entirety so much as it opened up a new avenue of thinking for me.
"Understood"..how can I ever know that I did..I would have to be the author to really know if I understood what was in his mind when he wrote that text.
Good points Chump, as usual.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock