Must-have trading book...

Excellent, thanks chaps. Time I knocked up a new bookcase I think. Keep 'em coming. :)

Kunal said:
Both Alexander Elder books are good, .....

oooh no they're not.

i read one when it first came out, i asked for my money back on principal. i will stick with the mr men!

This is not THE book. But if you are an open mind it may afford you the journey to the reality shift that I have had.

Uncommon Dissent: Intellectuals Who Find Darwinism Unconvincing

Paperback: 366 pages
Publisher: ISI Books (June 2004)
Language: English
ISBN: 1932236317
Product Dimensions: 9.0 x 6.1 x 1.2 inches
Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds

And any way argue with Einstien. Oh yes he was a type of monothiest. Not that the secular BIAS in our society would have you know it. I am very familiar with unaware academics and the secular bias the media gives of academic study. Infact I have seen how my close peer was misrepresented and during a conversation with a sample of the community of wider peers the astronomer royal martin rhees told us he has experienced this soo often now that he refuses to work with that particular media group anymore. I cant remember if it was Horizion or Equinox. But One of them, in any case exactly the reputable channel that I was doctored with as a curious youngster away from my current reality.

As I have looked in the other fields that are of strategic importance to secularisum I have found similar BIAS. Im not saying the majority of academics are monothiests, (though a surprising number are, more than I expected). What I'm saying is the bias in the media gives the impression almost like it were propaganda or PhsyOps that there are no mystries and its all proven..all case closed. I can tell you it is far from that...based on what I have uncovered and concluded. Seriously people who know me, know that you could not have found a more robust athiest.

Facts that lead to trading succes are expected to be earned. Why do you think God will give you such ease in the world AND give you the path to Paradise without struggle and search? if your right, and this is all of your TIME then fine you dont loose alot except the time spent investigating. But the reward and Cost of being wrong are so great (can u measure infinity? Did you know God revealed this concept before Humans had though of it or before mathematics proved it!).

If paradise exists , and the open mind should start from an unbiased position.

Then that reward is sooo much greater than trading sucess, it is only reasonable to expect to have to earn it, to have to really graft and struggle for such? Can you afford the risk of being wrong? Arrogance in all the society around us and your self can evoke you not to investigate and RE EXAMINE openly.

Like socrates posts if your not ready your have the deflectors in place your heart will not be soft and you will be turned away.. You have to do the work, look around you al the coincidence in your life are they not signs. Man has allways had the tables turned. In my field we have gone from The slolar system to the galaxy to nebulosity being other universes to a constant universe to and expanding universe to an accellerating universe to a universe younger than some of the oldest stars we observe if They ar not sign then what pupose this reality that history olny proves the more we probe the biger and fast the reality shifts come. The Churchs' percicution of knowledge and thought in Europe is a distraction. By then that bracnch of monothiesium was corrupt. Jesus did not start a church. He prayed in Synagoges. He came to reform the way the Jews had let thier Scholars change the details of the God given Laws. So dont judge Monotheisum by the corrupt actions of people. THIS IS NOT PARADISE. on earth we have freedom. This TIME is an arena to set people into grades for paradise (Like the trading aren - reality shift can you see it?). When has any Messenger of God told you this world and the people here are perfect you will not struggle here? But time here is short do the years not roll by faster as we age? This is a sign that death will so be upon us we should priorotise and seek the truth and do good deeds.

Kiwi said:
Zenda,

Good advice re the equis material.

I am curious why one would choose Covell's book. Here is a guy who failed as a turtle then spent the rest of his life selling "turtle course" to potential traders at rip off prices. Those who took them tell of bad support and a guy who didnt understand his material --- but had great marketing. When Curtis came out and made the material free he publishes his book.

Kiwi

I didnt actually realise that Covell failed as a turtle - where did you get this information from , is it documented anywhere - just curious because I have read and enjoyed his book but didnt realise he actaully ever tried trading.

sp1 said:
This thread is brilliant. I am Smiling at the screen though you cant see it. I want to thank You all that have helped in your own way as a microcosim of society capitalisum in fact. Soccy and all the others members here who know. You all should know that various coins have dropped and im on my way... The journey is far from over but progress is in jumps following consolidations and efort. Thut the underlying trend is still ...In the way beneficial to me.. Thanks.

And the various factions of the great majority. I thank you too for you continue to repoduce the bahavious and reasoning on these threads as those you represent in the market shall sustain me. Thanks.

This may be a false dawn but testing results are on track. My testing sofar is on Yahoo delayed 5 min bars. But when I get the real time stuff I will hope to start a no indicators type thread to learn from your good selves more and demonstrate to other newbies that as socrates said "you owe it to yourself to try" is the way to go.

Thanks for the PM soccy, Brauchs antics on this thread to amplify 1 of his edges is just one of the family of angles you were getting at I do thinck... Wow and it was all under my nose. Pride and predejuice indeed......People people people people people its ALL ABOUT YOU!!!! There are plenty of leads now you get grafting....like Socrates said...grafters evolove methods.

Thank you ALL.

Antics?! No, classics. There is a reason why the Darvas and Livermore etc. books are classics. Because they are excellent books from excellent traders. That's why. Read them - and learn from them.

PS. You should also read the George Soros' books. They are not funny to read, but you learn a lot. In one of them, Alchemy of Finance, you can follow his trading diary from a whole year.

Baruch said:
Antics?! No, classics. There is a reason why the Darvas and Livermore etc. books are classics. Because they are excellent books from excellent traders. That's why. Read them - and learn from them.

PS. You should also read the George Soros' books. They are not funny to read, but you learn a lot. In one of them, Alchemy of Finance, you can follow his trading diary from a whole year.
I disagree with you on Alchemy of Finance. It is very tongue in cheek. Interesting, but very circumspect.

Now turning to another topic in reply to SP1

What you have to do with all of this is to open out your heart, and fall in love with the topic.

When you do that and you embrace the topic because you love it and are not fighting it, then it begins not to bite back at you and opens itself for you to understand it. But you, and only you can do this.

You must not be opinionated and have preconceived notions, or try to force, because if you do that and are not open minded and make yourself available, it will master you before you can master it.

I hope and expect that that helps you.

Baruch said:

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, about Jesse Livermore, is probably the best book about trading I have read but I thought there was as much to learn from his mistakes as there was to learn from how he made money. I am not sure why he is held in such high esteem, as he lost more money than most traders could ever make. He made and lost a fortune twice. So why is he an excellent trader?

SOCRATES said:
I
What you have to do with all of this is to open out your heart, and fall in love with the topic.

Please explain what you mean by "this" in the above sentence, on the second point above dont mention it to my wife she particularly hates this light saving back and forth business. If by "topic" do you mean trading or competitive pursuit of self interest if you meant any thing other please explain. As indeed I may or may not love, depending on the bounds of the "topic". Subject to this I shall consider where i stand with the following

SOCRATES said:
I
you embrace the topic because you love it and are not fighting it, then it begins not to bite back at you and opens itself for you to understand it. But you, and only you can do this.

SOCRATES said:
I
You must not be opinionated and have preconceived notions, or try to force, because if you do that and are not open minded and make yourself available, it will master you before you can master it.

I hope and expect that that helps you.

Are you referring to the development of price action or my view on the Structures of the market? I admit it is the ascending planks that are the most obscured to me. Any leads to the blue print??

It is not normal for you to expect your ideas to help me. You are very familiar with my transmutation problems...I often get the wrong end of the stick.

Many thanks Soc. By the way if this is coming from the Uncommon Dissent book post, that was in reply to Frugi request for non trading book.

Or If you think such a stance is in conflict to my progress please expand on this interesting area.

Thanks and Regards

Bigbusiness said:
Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, about Jesse Livermore, is probably the best book about trading I have read but I thought there was as much to learn from his mistakes as there was to learn from how he made money. I am not sure why he is held in such high esteem, as he lost more money than most traders could ever make. He made and lost a fortune twice. So why is he an excellent trader?

Yes, it is a great book, which all traders today should read. I only know one trading book, which is even better: Nicolas Darvas "How I made..."
If you read the book Livermore wrote himself, "How to Trade in Stocks", you can compare his method with Darvas', and decide for yourself, which one of them is the best.

Two links about the Darvas system:

http://forex-1.biz/content/stock-market-trading-system/stock-market-trading-system-2.shtml

http://www.darvas-investor.de/

Last edited:
sp1 said:
Please explain what you mean by "this" in the above sentence, on the second point above dont mention it to my wife she particularly hates this light saving back and forth business. If by "topic" do you mean trading or competitive pursuit of self interest if you meant any thing other please explain. As indeed I may or may not love, depending on the bounds of the "topic". Subject to this I shall consider where i stand with the following

What I mean by "this"is that the world of trading is an entire universe, and more to the point, it is a different universe to that which people normally inhabit. In the world of trading all the rules that apply in ordinary life do not apply here, different rules impose their requirements to enable participants to become successful. Therefore what I mean by "this" is with regard to everything to do with trading and not bits people are apt to like in favour of bits they are apt to not like. Because the world of trading is a Gestalt, which is a German word that means something that is greater in total than the sum of its parts, then you have to think of trading as a Gestalt and embrace all of it, instead of picking here and there for bits you like and ignoring the bits you don't like, because that is a disaster.

Are you referring to the development of price action or my view on the Structures of the market? I admit it is the ascending planks that are the most obscured to me. Any leads to the blue print??

It is not normal for you to expect your ideas to help me. You are very familiar with my transmutation problems...I often get the wrong end of the stick.

Many thanks Soc. By the way if this is coming from the Uncommon Dissent book post, that was in reply to Frugi request for non trading book.

Or If you think such a stance is in conflict to my progress please expand on this interesting area.

Thanks and Regards
I am referring to self mastery, because mastery of self has to be achieved before anything else. I am familiar with problems involving distractions, therefore you should avoid them at all cost and concentrate on what is relevant, but within a framework of self governance of the highest order, which has to be self generated of course, as no one is going to do it for you.
You have to work at it very hard, as everywhere you look there are distractions to lead you off the rails, so you must raise your awareness of these risks in order to be able to first recognise them, and then succeed in avoiding them.

I cannot comment on the book you mention, I have not read it.

Bigbusiness said:

Yes, he lost some huge fortunes - but he made them first. That's why he was a good trader. If you want to read about traders, which also made huge fortunes, but kept them, you must read the books from Baruch and Darvas.

http://www.nicolasdarvas.org/index.php

PS. Why did Livermore lose his big fortunes? Because he forgot he was a trader - he thought he was bigger than the market, and therefore could control the market, and then it went badly wrong for him.

Last edited:
Zenda said:
No 3 A-Z of Tech Analysis is free online from www.equis.com (save a few bob) ;)

My Choices

Trend following by Covell
Short Term Trading - Toni Turner
Rem. of a Stock Operator (1923) Edwin Le Fevre (lousy speller me!)

Thanks for the link. They want $40 for A-Z book.

My choices are:

1. Short Term Trading by Toni Turner (my first ever trading book - got me started in this)

2. Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques by Steve Nison (a must)

3. Tools and Tips for the Master Day Trader by Velez & Capra (half the book is devoted to the
pyscology of trading and I found this invaluable)

JillyB said:
My choices are:

1. Short Term Trading by Toni Turner (my first ever trading book - got me started in this)

2. Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques by Steve Nison (a must)

3. Tools and Tips for the Master Day Trader by Velez & Capra (half the book is devoted to the
pyscology of trading and I found this invaluable)

Jilly,

You trade the Darvas method, so why not also choose the Darvas' books? ;)

Found this link to the Darvas book on Wikipedia:

http://stockvision.org/books/Nicolas_Darvas-How_I_Made_$2_Million_in_the_Stock_Market-EN.pdf

1) Any book on basic Dow Theory
2) Japanese Candlestick charting - (Steve Nison)
3) Reminisces of a Stock Operator (Edwin Lefevre)

Just searched for Reminiscences of a Stock Operator in google, with the intention of buying a copy, the fourth result on page one was this....

http://stockvision.org/books/Edwin_Lefevre-Reminiscences_of_a_Stock_Operator-EN.pdf

Great Link ;)

I got the most benefit out of Alan Farley's 'the master swing trader'. Certainly not light or easy reading, but it is worth wading in one page at a time as there is a lot to be gained once it is understood fully. Not recommended for beginners though, make sure you have a full grasp of the basics, particularly trading terminology (a lot of jargon in this book).

like others highly recommend,

1. Come into my trading room...elder
2. trading for a living....elder
3. trading in the zone....douglas
4. the disciplined trader...douglas
5. candlestick stuff....nisson
6. anything by martin pring

and more generally
7. the black swan and fooled by randomness...nnt
8. why most things fail....ormerod
9. hedge fund masters...kiev
10. when genius failed...lowenstien

etc etc...too many to list, read read and read some more you always learn something