Mobile Charting

schoe

I am buying a new PDA/PHONE (Sony Ericcson P900) which has full internet access via GPRS I want to use it to monitor prices via the spreadbetters home pages. If I want to use it to view live charts does anyone know a site I could go too that would provide this service for the Dow and the Dax that would'nt mean downloading loads of software?
Thanks.

Id watch out for the battery with the P900 ! I had a P800 for a while and while the phone was excellent the battery got really really bad. I think the P900 is dogged by similar issues.

Anyways to answer your Qs. I dont know of any 'specific' sites designed for mobile handset but you can view any HTML site on the phone with the Opera browser which scales down the charts to fit on the phone. However - since most charts are Java based and im not sure if the P900 had a java pluggin (might have?!) you might be restricted.

I used to use comdirect.co.uk which did the job (15min delayed) and IGINDEX had a mobile pluggin for live prices.

Good luck.

P800 is good but fiddly in my opinion...I was running something similar to what you are thinking..but in the end I relied on Orange price facility that is sent every 15 mins...no charts....

Also try out Avantgo service that is avilable for pda's and that is also good...see link below...

http://avantgo.com/frontdoor/index.html

Battery in 800 lasts in fact very long provided the bluetooth is set on auto..screen saver and sleep times are adjusted to the maximum....coming on when needed only and not on full time...I used to have same drain problems and after changing to replacement battery it boiled down to the bluetooth..if it is on full time then drain will be bigger...and headset battery will go quickly as well...

I understand that P900 and 800 have same facilities except the P900 is metal casing (expensive) and thinner while 800 is slightly bulky....

And when you are really bored you can play chess with Selma in your P800 if not anything else...

Obviously make your decisions as per your need...and requirements...

I'm considering buying an xda 2 which uses the latest pocket internet explorer. Does anyone know if this will allow me to view java based charts?

I'm guessing this would not automatically scale down charts? Is the opera browser software that can be added to do this?

Also, does anyone have experience on using a pda/xda with cmc's web based "lite" dealing facilities?

An answer for Darrenf, I have just spoken to deal4free and they have informed me the lite software is not pda compatible. They told me they are developing software for pda's and it will be available later this year. Hope this helps.

Mmmm

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that cmc don't know their arse from their elbow!

When I spoke to them, they said that the "lite" dealing screen should work on a pda ok if you scrolled around. They also said that they had no plans for PDA facilities! A direct contradiction to what they have told you.

Was it cmc spreadbet you spoke to or cmc cfd/fx?

Tried Quotrek on XDA II

Just returned the XDA II I bought specifically for Quotrek (within the 14 days)

Managed to install Quotrek software from PC

Portfolio and quotes work fine

In trying to access charts: only 1 out fo 6/7 attempts was successful even then it would freeze

You need to purchase proper JVM for PocketPC

and since Microsoft no longer support provide their version of JVM for

and considering the fact that PocketPC has no future according to soem at Microsoft, decided to return the XDA

perhaps you may want to try the Blackberry

I know it is not cool and perhaps not as functional as PDA but if you are looking specifically for charting, and if you can afford the seperate tool, then that woudl be a good option

over to you folks ... euro is moving

TSP

I was just on the verge of buying an xda 2 and was planning on trying a demo in store to see if I could view charts OK.

I thought the xda 2 was java enabled, allowing you to view java based charts. Is this not the case?

I plan to use it to view fx charts from dailyfx (fxcm) which are java based. (does not involve downloading software- just internet browsing). Do you know if they will work or not. I am aware that they are not pda specific but I thought this just meant I would have to scroll around a lot?

Also, if the standard xda 2 will have trouble with this, you suggest that java vm software is available for the xda 2. Is this the case, and if so, do you know how much it costs? Will that allow reliable viewing of java based charts on the xda2?

I'm not too bothered about having to scroll around etc as I only plan to use it approx 10 mins a day to check positions and price action by viewing the charts. However, I would like to be sure I will be able to access the charts reliably.

use dailyfax to view charts
that is what I wanted to do
went to oxford st store and tried it, when trying to access charts from dailyfx could not view
however as the XDa help said you can downlaod JVm still bought it
XDA is not Java enabled by default
the XDA manual says you can download from O2 website.. but that was a no hoper

I then researched what othe JVM i could use.. and got lost in the quagmire of offerings (and cost)

not wanting to be buy more software and be stuck with the XDA (a bit sensitive on expenses right now)

I'll try to dig up the list of wb-site I visited in search of a JVM for XDA

Thanks

Have been doing a bit of research myself but have not yet found JVM software for pocket pc 2003 which is the XDA2 OS.

Tried the link on the o2 website for 3rd party JVM but it did not work!

Rang o2. Apparently, I will be able to speak to an XDA expert mon to fri so will try this during next week.

If I get JVM software added to XDA2, should this provide reliable chart viewing of daily fx charts?

Also, re Blackberry, I was under the impression that this was a mobile email tool only. ie no good for internet browsing? However, you suggest it would be a good choice for viewing java applet charts on the internet. Could you clarify?

Would be grateful for a few links to pocket pc JVM software.

Cheers

What PDA should I Buy

Hi

Can anybody tell me what the best PDAs on the market are which are multifunctional and can a) make phone calls, b) run streaming of MPEGs avi and display jpegs c) and most importantly be compatible with many of trading applications. Is the XDA II any good! Thanks in advance for any help folks!

dont buy P900, go buy the motrola on THREE network. THe Operating system is the same,everything inside is the same, just a different shape, name on it and it has a 3G chip

+its free + 750 min for 35 pounds and so is the data transfer fee is 10 pounds for unlimited use.

ALso cos its 3G the WAP surfing is a lot faster than with P900

Chances are quite high I will be spending lots of time is the USA. Is the 3G technology available there? I'm not so sure whether the many trading applications run on a phone such as the Motorola. Its screen size is not particularly large either. If it is very compatible with lots of applications then it's not a bad option.

Can anybody advise what the 02 XDA II is like in terms of compatibility with trading applications? At the end of the day I want to have access to trading all sorts of instruments when I'm on the go. Perhaps there is a decent HP PDA, which you might think is worth purchasing. Please provide further opinions. Many Thanks.

Last edited:
Ericsson P900

Can anybody recommend good financial sites that will work with the above phone?

I have just got the phone from IG and love it.

The price wasn't bad either...free!

Rgds.

Motoral screen to small? go look at the A920 and the 1925coming out this month. The screen is bigger than p900.

Im not talkig about the motroler A835 which looks like a normal phone and is heavily advertised. Go check the site out.

In reagrds to U.S im not sure if they have 3G but even if they dont the phone is compatable with the standard 2 and 2.5 G which voice and GPRS WAP uses.

Thanks nomish. I think I will also look at other PDAs / smartphones on the market to see what my options are.
As I said - software availability is an issue here. There must be lots of applications around for the device I want.

To Marc100
Good financial software for the p800 or p900 is very hard to find.
While the camera facility and, mp3 features are nice,
it is not worth purchasing these phones for trading purposes.
I'm sure there are more but I could only find the following:

http://www.symbos.com/live/product_information.php?ApplicationID=220

http://www.quoteflash.com/jab/qfh.htm#4

http://www.moneyam.com/mobile/mobileBetaUserGuide.php

http://www.moneyam.com/mobile/

http://www.l3solutions.com/L3Prod_L3STSp8.htm