Mini Dow

SOCIALWORKER

Evening All
Anyone out there trading minidow at $5 a point. I have been
trading it for about six weeks now using Tradestation platform
and their direct access, cost is $2.50 per round turn and all seems to be going well.

SocialWorker

"Imperfect action is sometimes better than perfect Inaction"

thats not a bad rate.

any criteria in terms in minimum trips per month for that?

No minimum number whatsoever and what was interesting
was the fact that you only need $1000 to open an accout to trade the YM with Tradestation, although I think this is way
too low

Hmmm. I think thats a very good rate, even including the $99 subscription. You'd probably have to pay that in data feeds and solid chart app (like tradestation!).

Brokerage isn't just about low costs. Service is a BIG factor as well. Although stock traders seem to find TWS to be ok, I've seen a few reports that say TWS falls over when the market becomes fast. I don't care how cheap commissions are, I'd never trade futures on a platform I never had confidence in. It only needs to happen once and your losses will equal what you could have paid for quality execution plus...

I actually find TWS pretty stable 99% of the time, BBB

Just had a look at tradestation's site, and anyway it says $2.50 each side unless you're doing 500+ a month?

thx neil, but i can see myself sticking with IB for the forseeable future...

RR - yep - thats what everyone says - 99%! Im $hit scared of when the other 1% is going to come! Not a question of if, but when!

It's only fair to point out that I've never used TWS though. I do know people personally who have horror stories, although that was a few years ago. In fairness, I bet every large brokerage is going to have some deeply unsatisfied customers somewhere along the time line - thats business.

The main thing is you're happy with them. I guess its as personal as trading style.

Could anybody tell me the spread on Mini Dow $5 and Dow J $10, please ??

Thank you :cheesy:

cucuchris said:
Could anybody tell me the spread on Mini Dow $5 and Dow J $10, please ??

Thank you :cheesy:

Not sure what you mean by Dow J $10 but the spread on Mini Dow is 1 tick with IB its $5 per tick.

full Dow J is far too illiquid, stick with mini dow if you really have to trade dow jones. During market hours the spread is usually 1 pt for market orders. YM is still quite illiquid and ecbot isn't the best exchange - the market tends to evaporate in a fast move, ES and NQ are far better for traders.

I am also interested in eminis

Could you tell me the spread on emini NQ and S&P please ???

I'm finding the Mini Dow more than liquid enough and am getting decent fills!

JonnyT

Me too, I always get instant fills on YM using Ninja Trader as a front end and its very reassuring when it tells me that the order has been filled/closed/reversed etc.
Spread on NQ is .5 and on ES 0.25 four ticks per full point at $12.50 per tick so $50 per full point.