Metastock 9.0...EOD data update

Thanks Henry,

I have taken your point on board.

I have opted to download some of my missing historical data from ADVFN, downloading the missing symbols from their site.

One final problem i am faced with, is when i download their files and save, how do i incorporate this new security into my Metastock package?

For example if i have yell.met which holds all historical data for YELL , how do i incorporate this into a .DAT file within my metastock structure.

Thanks chaps.

Speculator

re your final problem. That's where the maligned Downloader program comes in usefull. Use the CONVERT feature. Your SOURCE is wherever you saved Yell and the other stocks and your DESTINATION is your Metastock folders where your .Dat files are. If your Yell etc files are saved in Metastock format then tell Downloader/Convert to convert from Metastock format to Metastock format. Hope this helps.

Soya

believe it or not i did EVENTUALLY find this out for myself.

I have converted a few symbols that were missing, very very fiddly and time consuming, but worthwhile in the end.

At last, i have found a use for DOWNLOADER.

Many thanks Soya.

I'm pretty sure,
(if this isn't a case of coming to the party a tad late) eoddata is the bunch I subscribed to for about 6 months a year or 18 months back - worth checking would be 'how many stocks are in the Dow 30, S&P or Nasdaq 100, Nas500' and so on - I was a bit surprised to find that S&P100 only had 68 stocks in it - even more surprised to discover that the company didn't give a t**s when I pointed that out to them....
It may well have changed since then - who knows - but time and time again I have found that cheap/free data is unreliable and it's just plain daft to go to all the trouble of finding decent entry/exit criteria only to be scuppered by a data supply that is crepe.

For £15 or less you can have the entire UK share prices OHLCV from Investorease or Sharescope - IE will, as I recall, in fact provide back data to about 1990 or so for that... a total bargain in my view. For $30 you can subscribe to TC2000, and get 8000 US shares (or so) going back to 1990 or earlier. If you can't afford £15 or $30 then don't trade - your pot is so small that you aren't going to noticeably affect your lifestyle by getting it right!

If you DO have a decent pot, don't risk it unnecessarily by being a chaeapskate on reliable data - ALL your analysis is based on the data being correct, saving cash on data and programs is foolish... reliable data and programs can be had for less than £20 a month, the cost of a single round trip.

Dave

Speculator

It shouldn't be fiddly. May be wrong but get the impression you're converting them one at a time. If all your Yell stocks are saved in the same folder/place just select them all in usual way (click on first hold down SHIFT key and click on last one) and CONVERT them all at once.

Here's another use for Downloader that you may not need now but may at some time that I've just found out about. Decided to transfer/copy Metastock Data from current laptop to and old Sony Pentium 2 laptop which I did by copying to a CD but Metastock wouldn't read it. Wouldn't open any charts. Just got error messages. Turns out that when you copy Metastock (any?) data to a CD it makes it READ ONLY. So Metastock couldn't open it. Answer is to run the data through Downloader CONVERT and it the opens perfectly. Took me ages to resolve that one.

Soya

Thanks DaveJB for your reply,

I mentioned earlier on in the thread that an EOD supplier i WAS using and paying handsomely for completely messed me around, hence i started this thread looking for alternatives.

I have spent a fortune on Software and my pot is rather more ample than most, that aside, i take your point about the base data, you are correct.

As with all things in life , assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups, i try not to assume things are good or bad, I TRY THEM myself.

I am subscribed to ADVFN and will see how they go for a while.

Good luck to all .

Soya said:
Speculator

It shouldn't be fiddly. May be wrong but get the impression you're converting them one at a time. If all your Yell stocks are saved in the same folder/place just select them all in usual way (click on first hold down SHIFT key and click on last one) and CONVERT them all at once.

Here's another use for Downloader that you may not need now but may at some time that I've just found out about. Decided to transfer/copy Metastock Data from current laptop to and old Sony Pentium 2 laptop which I did by copying to a CD but Metastock wouldn't read it. Wouldn't open any charts. Just got error messages. Turns out that when you copy Metastock (any?) data to a CD it makes it READ ONLY. So Metastock couldn't open it. Answer is to run the data through Downloader CONVERT and it the opens perfectly. Took me ages to resolve that one.

Soya
you can copy it onto CD and transfer it to the directory/folder with same name..

once copied (all dat will be read only) select all the files by prssing CTRL A....

when all files have been selected, right click and select properties and de click the read only button...

that should work as well....

Hi again Spec,
that's a sad sort of problem - most people here go from a free data supply like yahoo to either paying for a decent supply or the poor house, encountering a person prepared to pay but unable to get decent data is a different kettle of fish!

I'd pick the ones mentioned - Sharescope for UK EoD if text format is okay, Investorease for UK EoD otherwise. TC2000 foe US EoD. For RT I am not experienced enough - I've used esignal for a year and it seems pretty good, but in the RT arena there are lots to choose from and Tradestation seems worth a look.
High price/lousy data is a new one on me, I'd suggest medium price is the route to check next - I would happily trade Yahoo data etc provided I were trading my ex mother in law's account for example, otherwise I wouldn't touch it with that good lady's bargepole. (Or whatever that wart encrusted thing poking out of her face was called).

Dave

speculator said:
A query for the experts, i have read all of the EOD data update threads on the board and wonder if anyone has tried www.eoddata.com , i currently use PRESTEL and Metaload to update my files daily.

I am looking for an alternative option to update my files

As i use Metaload i assume the data will need to be in a specific format for metaload and wondered wether anyone had got a daily update working off of the internet with Metaload.

Thanks for any help.

Regards
Hi, I use the same set up as yourself. ADVFN also provide an EOD feed. Let me know if you find anything. Goodluck.

zambuck said:
speculator

I use Metaload...in fact many of my messages in Metastock thread point to that fact....I also used to use Prestel as well....

The point I am making is that Downloader is a powerful package in the sense that it will convert large database, which Metaload sometimes struggles to do so. Metaload will convert daily or say monthly data without any problems.

For using Metaload you data DOES NOT have to be in any specific format, as you can point Metalod to the file you are intending to convert and it will 'learn' that format. The file extn can be *.PRN, *.TXT, etc etc....

Also look at features of Metatools (sister of Metaload) it was perfect for maintaining the data as it kept an eye on the currect symbol list and maintained deleted and renamed list perfectly...Metatools used to link up with FT site and update the symbol list and then maintain the data in metastock. Unfortunately the FT link has been disabled by FT, but I understand that if you have a list in CSV format then Metatools will maintain the dat perfectly.

HTH
Been thinking again - I know v. dangerous - try Paritech. They also offer data feeds

Thanks for input Carriolan.

Must admit that i have had problems with aDVFN feed too, in that certain securities in the EOD feed have close (C) > than high (H) price and Open < L.

Metaload reported 10 errors with the feed when it had only updated 100 securities.

Hmmmm....maybe my old provider didn't mes me about that much after all.

yeh i have to say i don't have many probs with eoddata , maybe a couple missing , maybe it just suits me as long as it's reliable and i get nearly all of them i'm happy , isn't advfn a bit of a pain to download when you start? ( i used it when it was free and was like 3 at a time for historical or something like it?

Hello again Henry

I have resorted to using EODDATA whilst advfn look into the problems with their data, of which i have informed them via email.

thanks for reply speculator , i almost subscribed to them , glad i didn't now!!

Has anyone tried the Paritech EOD download? They include a downloader to automate Metastock update.

Using Eoddata

henry766 said:
i use eoddata speculator , had a few sticky moments early on but seems pretty good , is easy to download convert too, havn't used the paid forn historical but am thinking about it , even this seems cheap and as few probs seems like a good idea ( at this time anyway), good luck!!

I am having some difficulty using the EODDATA, when u download the exchange lets say NYSE where do you put the file so Metastock can use this info??

Can you please email me back at : [email protected]

Thanks for your help

Using Eoddata

speculator said:
Hello again Henry

I have resorted to using EODDATA whilst advfn look into the problems with their data, of which i have informed them via email.

I am having some difficulty using the EODDATA, when u download the exchange lets say NYSE (and the entire listing of securities in the particular exchange) where do you put the file so Metastock can use this info??

Thanks for your help

End of Day Data Service

henry766 said:
yeh i have to say i don't have many probs with eoddata , maybe a couple missing , maybe it just suits me as long as it's reliable and i get nearly all of them i'm happy , isn't advfn a bit of a pain to download when you start? ( i used it when it was free and was like 3 at a time for historical or something like it?

I am having some difficulty using the EODDATA, when u download the exchange lets say NYSE (and the entire listing of securities in the particular exchange) where do you put the file so Metastock can use this info??

Thanks for your help