Metastock 9.0...EOD data update

speculator

A query for the experts, i have read all of the EOD data update threads on the board and wonder if anyone has tried www.eoddata.com , i currently use PRESTEL and Metaload to update my files daily.

I am looking for an alternative option to update my files

As i use Metaload i assume the data will need to be in a specific format for metaload and wondered wether anyone had got a daily update working off of the internet with Metaload.

Thanks for any help.

Regards

I am not an expert, but I will try...

Data does not have to be in any specific format for conversion by Metaload...

Metaload 'learns' the data format that is to be coverted for Metastock use....You know this feature of Metaload that allows you to point to an existing file that you want to convert....

I have checked the interent and yahoo data and it's not worth going for....not very accurate I think..

Hi. Re Metastock EOD. Has anyone tried the Metastock Elliot wave plug-in AlphaOmega? Or can point me in the direction of a review of it. Thanks.

Thanks Zambuck. After posting my question I did find the website of the people that produce the EW plug-in. Lots of examples and info and a downloadable workable demo that is resticted on features but not on time. For anyone interested it's at:

http://www.alphomegaew.com

Maybe a seperate thread could be started for Metastock plug ins.

I would be grateful for any further input on sources of EOD data and how people update their Metastock files on a daily basis.

TIA.

speculator said:
Maybe a seperate thread could be started for Metastock plug ins.

I would be grateful for any further input on sources of EOD data and how people update their Metastock files on a daily basis.

TIA.

Hi Speculator, I use Metastock 9 EOD with data feed from Prestel and Metaload.

Re Metastock plug-ins I have the one that draws trendlines which as you probably know is now included in MS 9 though I never though it did a great job at drawing trendlines and support and resistance lines. If only it had been as good as it's publicity! Still, buyers of MS 9 now get it for free so not a bad deal. Also have John Murhy's Chart Recognition plug-in. Again, could be better - and many days can go by without selecting a candidate on the FTSE100 and FTSE250.

Talking about updating Metastock, is one better doing this through a Equis UK agent or Equis direct? I got MS 9 upgrade from Equis USA and have just got an import/VAT duty invoice from DHL for £20.

i use eoddata speculator , had a few sticky moments early on but seems pretty good , is easy to download convert too, havn't used the paid forn historical but am thinking about it , even this seems cheap and as few probs seems like a good idea ( at this time anyway), good luck!!

Try Databull

Databull gives you downloads for various markets using Yahoo data. Costs are one off fee for the software then after that data is free , including historical.

Having said that quite a few have criticised the yahoo data but depending on your requirements it might work fine. Also has a free trial from memory

Web site is www.databull.com

speculator said:
Maybe a separate thread could be started for Metastock plug ins.

TIA.

Many thanks for all the replies, i have now successfully configured Metaload to update my Metastock files from EODDATA. Thanks to all.

One further question to you all. I now have a situation where my Symbol database would appear out of date, i have 216 symbols missing.

1.....Can someone explain what i would do in Metastock 9.0 to update my symbol database, given that i have a text file with all the missing symbols and Security names. I have tried DOWNLOADER but what a waste of space that is.

2... If someone could maybe also direct me to a site that would allow me to download history for each of these 216 missing stocks, i would also be very grateful.

TIA

Last edited:
Few points to ponder...

Yahoo data, as it is free, is not reliable and there are errors galore in it...At times the data is not there at all...

Downloader will pick up data errors if you test the data....and watch the list that crops up....Point I am making is that Yahoo data free it may be, if you are serious about TA then get data from a reliable source...for which you will have to pay....

If you find Downlader a waste of space then perhaps, and I say this with respect, you have really NOT read the manuals and aspects of that package very well....I suggest you do that again...

Having used Downloader and MS for a while now, I do find that it takes a lot of time to get used to and there is a long lerning courve....Nothig in life is easy or on a plate..!!! Downloader is one package that is very powerful indeed, and features of it are perhaps never fully utilised...

Sorry if I sound rude, but I am not being rude, just that you need to look at things once more with more reading...!!!

Symbol file and features of using that are discussed fully in the manual....

I don't think you are being rude at all and thank you for your reply.

A little clarification, first of all, i am not using Yahoo data and have never specified that i am. Second, i am well and truly versed in the art of TA and Stocks in general (I worked in the City of London, 99 Bishopsgate those who work there will know the Investment Bank that resides there), it is the art of PC's and computer datat that i strugle a little with.

I maybe have not made myself clear, i have been using Metastock and Metaload for a while. I have recently had a few problems with both my EOD supplier and my local data, hece i am trying out all options ( I have a little spare time ;-) )

I now find myself in a position where i need to add more symbols into my files, as detailed above.

I have previously used DOWNLOADER and the time taken to update files as compared to metaload is ridiculous, maybe you should try metaload (I am not intending to be rude here!)

Anyway, if someone could please point me in the direction of how i add these missing symbols from a text file into my Metastock database i would be truly grateful.

Have a good day all and many thanks.

speculator i'm met 7.2 i think but can update symbol data base from metastock without touching downloading , mind you ,use downloader to create files ( u.s. stocks only i think) good luck!!( some small stocks arn't worth bothering with in my view)

speculator

I use Metaload...in fact many of my messages in Metastock thread point to that fact....I also used to use Prestel as well....

The point I am making is that Downloader is a powerful package in the sense that it will convert large database, which Metaload sometimes struggles to do so. Metaload will convert daily or say monthly data without any problems.

For using Metaload you data DOES NOT have to be in any specific format, as you can point Metalod to the file you are intending to convert and it will 'learn' that format. The file extn can be *.PRN, *.TXT, etc etc....

Also look at features of Metatools (sister of Metaload) it was perfect for maintaining the data as it kept an eye on the currect symbol list and maintained deleted and renamed list perfectly...Metatools used to link up with FT site and update the symbol list and then maintain the data in metastock. Unfortunately the FT link has been disabled by FT, but I understand that if you have a list in CSV format then Metatools will maintain the dat perfectly.

HTH

Thanks for reply Henry.

I think it's my poor communication skills, i am not really expressing properly what i am trying to achieve. This is my fault.

I have 2356 stocks in my UK database and this morning when looking at the metaload update file, it said 216 stocks were missing and 2356 had been updated.

For example CSTL is missing along with 215 other codes. What i am asking is, what would be the best way to add these stocks to my existing database. I have looked at Downloader and yes this would create the file(s) but iut seems rather cumbersome given that i have a text file with the missing codes and company names., also is there anyway to get the additional historical data for these 216 stocks?

I am sorry to yet again attempt to explain my plight, thanks for all the help already proffered everyone but would be grateful if anyone could help resolve this issue.

TIA

sorry speculator ,of metaload i a know nothing!!, good luck maintaining 2356 stocks , in my experience sounds like a lot of sweat for those few smallest illiquid stocks , can't believe that those stocks at over 2000th smallest are worth bothering with ( even over 1000th),anyways good luck!!

Henry

Many thanks, you make a most valid point.

Even when i worked down there i was taught to pay attention to the smallest detail, i still do that to this day. I want the datatbase set up with everything just for completeness sake really, maybe i will be forced to give up this time.

I take it you store your stocks in FTSE100,250,350 folders.

DO you just have approx 1000 stocks in your portfolio?

Maybe i'll just order a new data CD from good old Ruth at Q-data and i'll stop trying to be clever with PC's.

hi speculator , i believe you'll give up in end with all 2300 shares etc, the reason why you have problems is probaly cos your data supplier or metaload can't be bothered either, i bet some of those small ones don't even get traded everyday, with U.S. stocks i'm reuters datalink which is truly hastle free , with eoddata you have to convert and i couldn't put all files into one folder as i'm version 7 ish and 2000shares is max , so i convert"ACROSS" folders and then used explorer ( just search "close") and then copied each of ftse into 1 folder), trust me life is too short!!ftse 100 and ftse 350 folders , it's not so much historical thats a pain but upkeeping the list , if you spend hours getting this right in a month or so you'll be tearing hair out again over splits takeovers etc!!! anyways good trading!!