• Welcome to the Darwinex Forums, these forums are member-run and managed by CavaliereVerde. Member-run forum rules may differ from the site guidelines.

James Simons, performance fees and quants

Let's fight on the real field that are the financial market to see who is right.

Good luck. Let see if you make 12 months track record on one account :rolleyes:

We must think, biomimicry.
Sweet

A quant use datas from the past in majority.

You use data from the future ;) ?

That was also my thought.

(looks like suddenly lots of posts have disappeared)

@CavaliereVerde is better at house cleaning than a portuguese hotel worker. Or your mom when she used to tidy the room and you could never find again an object, the place of affairs being so much more controlled when messy 😂
(Sorry, bad humour, I’m digging the portuguese people. Got plenty over here)

Good luck. Let see if you make 12 months track record on one account :rolleyes:

Sweet

You use data from the future ;) ?
I had a little dig at PPP on another thread so I'm here to back him up on this thread. He suggested that quants use data from the past and this is why they will lose ie they look left on a chart.
You made a 'tongue in cheek' comment about him using data from the future with a wink. Well this IS the right way to do it, use data from the future to inform your decisions.
How?
Take a simple example, retail are familiar with the 'Golden cross' and will buy in to an instrument when they see the 50 day MA cross the 200 day MA so how do you predict that event happening.
Well the 200 day MA is a slow moving beast with a lot of momentum so even large changes on a daily basis will not make a significant difference over a 10 day time horizon, so you can project this line forward with high accuracy.
Your 50 day MA also has momentum but is subject to more variation from large daily moves however using a typical standard deviation you can get a percentage gradient of when or if a golden cross will appear.
You are looking RIGHT on the chart!
Losers look left winners look right!
A topic for discussion if you wish.

I had a little dig at PPP on another thread so I'm here to back him up on this thread. He suggested that quants use data from the past and this is why they will lose ie they look left on a chart.
You made a 'tongue in cheek' comment about him using data from the future with a wink. Well this IS the right way to do it, use data from the future to inform your decisions.
How?
Take a simple example, retail are familiar with the 'Golden cross' and will buy in to an instrument when they see the 50 day MA cross the 200 day MA so how do you predict that event happening.
Well the 200 day MA is a slow moving beast with a lot of momentum so even large changes on a daily basis will not make a significant difference over a 10 day time horizon, so you can project this line forward with high accuracy.
Your 50 day MA also has momentum but is subject to more variation from large daily moves however using a typical standard deviation you can get a percentage gradient of when or if a golden cross will appear.
You are looking RIGHT on the chart!
A topic for discussion if you wish.
you realize that you need to look left on the chart to even draw the moving averages?

yeah, I mean saying to use data from the past is a recipe for losing is just so wrong. Almost every trading strategy relies to some extent on data from the past. Of course, you are trying to predict the future using this data but from what I understood that's not the point PPP was making.

Trading with Support / Resistance levels is also using past data, otherwise, those levels wouldn't even form.

You could argue that latency arbitrage is not using data from the past, however, strictly speaking, this is also using past information and be it only milliseconds away ;)

... and support / resistance levels?
For every support and resistance level that is obeyed there is another that is not. Turning points occur when the majority of money flows from one direction to the other, if that coincides with a line drawn on a chart then thats 'interesting' to a chartist. There are so many support resistance calculations fibs, pivots ... that one will be 'close enough' that the person looking at it will say 'of course I knew it would turn at the 66.37% donatello inflection' (dont bother looking that up) but that means ALL the other calculations were Wrong.
You need to learn those things then you need to throw away your training wheels and trade!

The dow is trading at 27,893 right now. It has reached a turning point and will fall below 27,640 today.
Just my opinion based on whats happening at the sharp end right now.
Is that number relevant, not to me.

What specifically is your question about S&R?
I was not asking anything specifically.
Just adding to KlondikeFX's argument. 😐

That's bullcrap. Trading is too personal a game to assert black and white claims like that and attribute them to everyone.

Moreover, if you don't look at the left side of the chart, or in other words, if you don't look at the past...
Where are you going to get the information to make your brilliant future decision?
Do you make it up?! 🤨

It's fine to have an expectation of what the price will most likely do in the near future but to say that those who look at the left side of the chart are losers is just going too far (as well as incorrect). 😑