is 100% return each year realistic?

Unfortunately for you. Meanreversion is a far more respected poster than you at this stage.

But good luck in your trawl for students so you can show them how "amazingly" the market moves at 13:30.. when low and behold the data comes out.

It's funny........ seriously.

Sorry D70, I'm a bit confused, what's funny..........seriously? What an I 'trawling' for?
I really don't understand the purpose of your comment - did I say something offensive?

I'm sure Meanreversion is a far more respected poster than me. That's cool - I just joined this week. Didn't know about this site until now. I didn't say he wasn't.

I think it is pretty cool that the market moves so predictably when news is released, and I can so predictably take points at that time. I don't think it is necessarily amazing - it's not magic or anything. It happens, I recact, simple as that.

Slippage sometimes causes me to lose out on potential trades. I have a good stoploss strategy as well. Not every one works out, but most do I find.

slippage is manageable, an empty order book is a different matter. if you are trading tight and over NFP futures gap say 10 ticks then you have a serious problem. are you running a possy over the figure or just reacting when you see the figure?

Hmm, the website says you make around 5 trades a month, each lasting for 3 minutes, and from this presumably you're making 20% a month?

Well I have to confess I'm curious.

I don't exactly understand everything you're asking. NFP? Excuse me, I am still learning a lot of the technical stuff. I have my buy and sell orders in place (with profit targets and stop losses) before the data is released. On the bigger ones, like Fed announcements, I stay ouit and only get in if conditions are right and I see a trade to be made a few mintes after the announcement. One day I could get stuffed for 10 tics, but I'll get it back again.

my point is that with 10 pips=10% thats just crazy leverage. your stop loss is just a buy/sell stop order so a gap could still **** you over

Hmm, the website says you make around 5 trades a month, each lasting for 3 minutes, and from this presumably you're making 20% a month?

Well I have to confess I'm curious.

Maybe 5 a week more lik it, but sometimes closer only 5 trades a month. I like to enter only if I'm quite sure of the trade, and ensure myself a higher win ratio. I've never done as low as 20% - I've done 50-100% per month since I started. I'm up 79% this month. I was also curious when my friend, who introduced me to futures, was doing over 100% a month (which he has maintained for a year now I believe). So I just started doing what he's doing.

On second thoughts, I'm not that curious. If he doesn't know what NFP stands for, I can only imagine it's kamikaze gambling.

NFP is non-farm payroll. that's one of the big announcements you should be aware of. check out a calendar of releases on a weekly basis and learn what each means/does. plenty of free resources kicking about.

One day I could get stuffed for 10 tics, but I'll get it back again.

yikes. i like confidence but if you're scalping a tick or two and you're willing to give away 5/10x that then i'd be a bit worried about your risk maangement.

my point is that with 10 pips=10% thats just crazy leverage. your stop loss is just a buy/sell stop order so a gap could still **** you over

Sorry - I trade futures. The emini contracts cost $500, and you earn $50 per point. That's standard - 10% per point (then commission of course).

NFP is non-farm payroll. that's one of the big announcements you should be aware of. check out a calendar of releases on a weekly basis and learn what each means/does. plenty of free resources kicking about.

yikes. i like confidence but if you're scalping a tick or two and you're willing to give away 5/10x that then i'd be a bit worried about your risk maangement.

I love trading non-farm payroll - one of the 'easy' trades if there is such a thing. I don't scalp, but somtimes if my trade goes against me I'll bail out for a tic. that's unusual. I usually go for 1 or 2 points (8 tics) with a 1.5 stoploss. Or bigger profit targets depending on the announcement. I'm quite comfortable with my current risk.

No, I'm letting my trading account grow at this stage. When it's bigger I'll take out.

What % do you risk per trade and what leverage do you use?

As others have said, a bit of slippage against your position and you're f%**^ed!

I'm happy that you're making such gains but do you not worry that basically one severe move against you could end your account? It's quite likely that such a move will take place at some point in your trading career... ?

if you're happy then i'm happy bud. personally i can't see how that trading can get you in anything other than in bother but fair play for having a go and if it works good on you. 100% return is not scalable nor achievable on a long-term basis with that system in my view.

p.s. you sounded like another snake oil salesman/incarnation of ODT which is why I suspect you have gotten a bit of stick on here today.

if you're happy then i'm happy bud. personally i can't see how that trading can get you in anything other than in bother but fair play for having a go and if it works good on you. 100% return is not scalable nor achievable on a long-term basis with that system in my view.

p.s. you sounded like another snake oil salesman/incarnation of ODT which is why I suspect you have gotten a bit of stick on here today.

Okay, not sure what ODT is, or why snakes would sell oil. Just thought I would jump on this forum when I found it, because I'm excited about this stuff. I've made lots of good connections so far actually, and people can give me stick if they want - it won't change my trading results, and it won't change theirs either.

All I know is this method has worked well for me, and a few others I know of. As long as I do something that is working right now. My aim is just to keep taking points out of the market and adding to my account each month. Let's see where I am in another year I guess. Hell, I'm ecstatic about where I am now compared to the start of the year. :clap:

I love trading non-farm payroll - one of the 'easy' trades if there is such a thing. I don't scalp, but somtimes if my trade goes against me I'll bail out for a tic. that's unusual. I usually go for 1 or 2 points (8 tics) with a 1.5 stoploss. Or bigger profit targets depending on the announcement. I'm quite comfortable with my current risk.

I'd like to see you bail out for a tic during NFP.

On second thoughts, I'm not that curious. If he doesn't know what NFP stands for, I can only imagine it's kamikaze gambling.

Does someone need to know a particular acronym before they can have success? I drive a car but I don't know the name of everything under the bonnet. If I kamikaze gambled everything I made so far - I must have defied the odds better than a lotto winner, which is cool.

Good luck, James... All I can say is that, judging by your strategy, you're a better man with bigger balls than me. I personally know a few people who got carted out using methods that are (possibly) similar to yours. If it works for you, great and long may it continue.

As to the acronym, I think not knowing what NFP is sorta like not being able to identify a steering wheel in a car, rather than smth under the bonnet. Or at least that's what some think.