--- 2% Per Month Compounded Realistic ? ---

The Lightbulb

henry766 said:
Not sure about the last part , "experience what you intellectually know a lot sooner"?, but the point is illustrated by yourself , your not sure it will help or not?My own view is that people are insecure about trading , don't like the risk , like to be organised , money management etc as if those things will make you succeed , they won't , at the end of your trading career the only the that counts is that you've made profits , if your system doesn't work , IT DOESN'T WORK, and you will not succeed however much money management , however organised you are , how much you talk about it etc . if you have all these things , you will still lose because your system isn't profitable , it's like playing roullette , in the end the bank wins , despite the bank having no control over risk management , no control as to when the client puts his money on which number etc , so has no organised way of trading at all , it takes what comes , but in the end it always wins , sooner or later. And finding these profitable systems doesn't require organisation either , but imagination , didn't Einstien come up with his theory of relativity while out for a walk, not a file or plan in site!!
I agree with you that people (ordinary people unprepared for all this) are insecure about trading, don't like risk, like to be organised, etc.,

This is very interesting...

What you are saying is that ordinary people who come unprepared for all this with a heavy dose of EGO....get affronted when the outcomes they expect are not the ones they get, and that is where all the trouble starts. It would be better for them to realistically and deeply inwardly reflect, and if appropriate, to stay away from all of this altogether.

When you quote "Experience what you intellectually know a lot sooner", that you do not quite understand because you are not sure of it's validity, this is because in order to arrive at understanding his statement deeply, you yourself have to have a meaningful realisation about his statement.

Obviously, you have not had this meaningful realisation.

This is because you are not yet ready for the lightbulb
icon3.gif
to go flash in your head yet.

When you are ready, the lightbulb will flash of it's own accord at a place and time of its choice, and not necessarily yours.

But you have to work on yourself first before this can happen.

The
icon3.gif
is waiting, it is up to all of us to make the effort.

The more effort you make the greater the likelyhood of the
icon3.gif
flashing sooner.

As you happen to mention my namesake...he formulated E = MC Squared.

In striving for structured progress in this profession, which only you can do, and not anyone else for you, this formula of his has a totally different meaning to it.
icon10.gif

Market Wizard said:
Exactly my point. Most people are NOT trading te wheel.
Exactlly. Precisely.

The wheel is there. It is very clear. It goes round and round.

But....

the great majority disregard it in preference to other wheels, or cogs, or sprockets, or flywheels, or gears or oscillations of one sort or another.

The invent wheels for themselves they choose to whirl around in and then, when they are really dizzy from all the spinning and cannot cope, then they realise, too late, the folly of their dereliction.

Sad, but true. I couldn't have put it better myself.

My Compliments To You.

*JDR* said:
Is 24% a year, more importantly 2% a month compounded achievable?

I am getting a little ahead of myself as I need to work on my system/plan still, but if I wanted to achieve that sort of return can it be done?

Does the portfolio size matter ?

I will be position trading and will be working full time. Still possible or do i need to be full time to achieve good returns?

I am hoping to "retire" in 5 years and continue to trade for a living afterwards.

Please give examples of your realistic returns please.

Thanks.

What I have found in my own trading (swing index trading)
is that 26% per year is well possible, but I have months such as December
where I don't trade at all.
I don't treat it as a normal job , I don't necessarily have to trade
just because the market is in session, the market is affected by all sorts
of different time frame participants

I think being too much in the market is wrong, it's better once or twice
a day for 20minutes, definetely at the close.

I'd advise you not to think about the money when setting out your
trading plan

2% a month is most certainly possible, but to be achieving it consistently over the next 5 years, starting today as a relative newbie, is highly unlikely.

It takes a couple of years (minimum) to find a strategy that you can consistently execute (i.e. to find a strategy that matches your personality). And it probably takes another 1 to 2 years to become consistently profitable. And this is just for the MINORITY of traders who succeed (some people say the 5%).

Nevertheless, your opening post is refreshingly realistic for a change, relative to other newbies. It is somewhat irritating to see other newbies come here and spout highly unrealistic dreams, and at least you have not done that.