Sticky Introduce Yourself

It is 40 years or 4 years or 4 months the same questions are posed each day in the market. Yet experience is the only teacher and the best analyst. Rest all is lot of noise and interesting stuff.

I like most people thought initially that commodities or equities were just as easy as opening a text book. It was a harrowing experience but as a challenge I self taught and now I view stuff from many dimensions and when we see the same thing from various dimensions and it is the same image, we are done.

This harmony of views can only be reached by lot of losses and burning. Will continue.

Hello,

I've recently become interested in the world of trading. My knowledge on it was/is pretty much non-existent, so I've been on the hunt for information. All the jargon and complex aspects of it are pretty overwhelming I must say. Honestly I'm not sure where to look, because I feel like everyone and his dog are out to scam me. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two here from people who don't have an agenda.

Cheers.

Hi
I hesitate to offer advice as I've been trading for only 8 months and have yet to become successful at it. Perhaps though my growing pains are sufficiently recent for me to make some useful comments.
There are a lot of sources of information out there (and people who want your money) and the two main objectives I would have thought are (a) to keep your money for your trading account and (b) to find some structure in all of the information.
[I confess I spent quite a lot of money for a weekend's course with Knowledge to Action back in April. You will find a lot of people on these forums who would claim that makes me an idiot. Whilst they could be right, I would say I learnt a lot and for my money got 2 days of training, 90minutes of individual coaching and a CD-rom version of the course. The main thing was it got me started and gave me some basis on which to start to weed out wheat from chaff with the enormous amount of stuff available on line. I am NOT making a case for you to spend that amount of money. Make no mistake, the courses offer no magic strategies that guarantee success and are often, it seems, focussed on trending markets (remember those? perhaps they will return some day). If you talk to most people learning to trade the message is you need to work very hard at learning to be a trader and learning the reasons NOT to take a trade.

Start by understanding "account management": this essentially means always placing a stop loss so that you NEVER EVER lose more than 1% of your account and, painful though it would be, after 10 straight losses you still have 90% of your account. If the account dwindles, your 1% also dwindles so that in theory you can go on for years losing money!! If it was easy, the drop-out rate would not be so astronomically high - of the 8 people in my original "trading-buddy" group from the course, I am only aware of three who are still trading and I have heard figures of 80% drop-out in 9 months. Now I am not trying to put you off, just to say, don't expect it to be easy. I still find it truly fascinating and like most areas of learning, the more you know, the more you realise you don't know.

I'm getting a bit off target - you asked about where to learn. See if your local library has any books on the subject, my local one did - that's free. Also free are many "webinars" - these are of variable quality and varying start-times (US EST times mean very late nights) but again they are free and they do tend to reinforce certain basic sensible ideas (they often then try to sell you things vut it's easy to say No). If you open an account with someone (either a demo account or a real money one - and I won't get into that argument at the moment) then most trading platforms offer both charting software AND training programs. Finally, there are some basic learning articles with T2W - these are pretty good and are probably as good a starting point as anywhere. The forums here are a bit frightening in that they are so big and it isn't always easy, especially as a beginner, to find out straight-forward answers to basic questions. But it's always worth asking.

Hope that helps. No doubt others will have their own panacea for progressing from beginner to intermediate to master.........in which case I will avidly read these.
Happy trading
John

Hi, everyone, this is Eva from China. I am a sales representative about LED Lights. Nice to meet you. :)

Hi everyone,

My name is Gert. I've been in the financial services industry since 1997, in the Equity research, capital markets and IT departments.

I'm new to trading myself and hope to learn a lot and give some back.

Best Regards,
Gert

Andrea

My advice to anyone new to trading is:

Keep in mind the following at all times:
- What you think you see could possibly be an illusion.
- What people tell you with great authority and great graphics may also be an illusion.
- You have to decide what is real and what is not real.
- The doors of heaven and hell are adjacent and identical.
- Choose wisely and before following the last guy through, think: ‘Was he right?’

l have traded for close to 6 years.my email is [email protected].l do provide trading signals.

Attachments

• with God all is possible this is trailling.gif
    with God all is possible this is trailling.gif
    40.5 KB · Views: 189
  • DetailedStatement.htm
    13.7 KB · Views: 295
  • with god all things possible.gif
    with god all things possible.gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 216
Hi everyone. Full time emini (ES/TF) trader from the US east coast here. After years of trading solo, I'm looking to connect with successful seasoned traders. - Andy

Hello
I have traded Forex for a number of years and have used IG Index as my trading platform. I am about to start trading options and would be interested to know the experience of any 'veterans' in the Options market as to who they recommend as a good options broker.

It seems to me that you want competitive charging, decent spreads, and a good platform to trade on.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

Peter S

Andrea

My advice to anyone new to trading is:

Keep in mind the following at all times:
- What you think you see could possibly be an illusion.
- What people tell you with great authority and great graphics may also be an illusion.
- You have to decide what is real and what is not real.
- The doors of heaven and hell are adjacent and identical.
- Choose wisely and before following the last guy through, think: ‘Was he right?’

:clap:
Got to agree with all the above, no matter how good a system is for one person in my experience it rarely works in exactly the same form for another person. I see it in the same manner as a group of artists with their equipment painting the same scene or subject. Leave them alone with the same tools(averages stochastic etc) and view(market price movement etc) and the difference in opinion is beyond belief, although there will be similaries between all of them.
Oh and also some will work and some won't, however after time a blank canvas can be acquired!!!
Good luck to all.
(y)

While there are hundreds and perhaps thousands of different approaches to trading, each persons book recommendations may or may not be applicable to others. Regardless, I suggest the following books:

Market Wizards
The Elliott Wave Principle
Fooled by Randomness
Pit Bull
Dynamic Trading

The above are a good mix of 'textbook' and easy read/trading accolades.

Thats great suggestions,anybody here who pass the IMC Exam or CAIA exam,,what study and or course you learned to being :clap: expert trader

HI I am looking to buy CAIA study materials of SCHWESEIR or UPPERMARK ,and also any books of CFA study materials and or IMC unit 2 books,Please contact me.I am based in London and can collect thanks
My email: [email protected]

Hello, I am a small investor with alot to learn, does anyone know the best way to get a handle on a decent trading stradegy short of paying 10,000 to a proclaimed guru and their software?