IB for Forex?

ilia king

Does anyone know how good Interactive Brocker's is for Forex trading, espcially GBP, USD, EUR. Any reply is greatly appreciated.

Could anyone give a url if they (Interactive Brockers) have a faq or guide about it please, thanks very much

Ilia

Have traded the EUR/USD via IB, no probs, smaller spreads than fx and a decent liquid market.

Have looked at GBP but unconvinced that there was enough liquidity to provide a decent market

Thanks JT, will only trade EUR/USD, but why futures, because of the leverage?

Do use any charting package like Tradestation to give you results when to buy or sell, or some other trading system.

Does anyone use IB as a data feed for forex in Tradestation?

Futures have a spread of 1, they do not wobble like the Forex Brokers and are thus cheaper and better to trade.

Try viewing dailyfx chart alongside the future in real time...

The dailyfx quote often moves 3 or 4 pips for a 1 pip move in the futures...

JonnyT

Thanks Jonny - what brocker would you reccomend for forex futures. I am about to move from stocks to forex so it is a bit tricky.

Does anyone use IB as a data feed for forex in Tradestation?

I use IB data feed but in Sierra, not tradestation. Its fine and damn cheap (free, in fact)

But does anyone use tradestation, also does anyone know where i can get historical forex data so can backtest my system/

ilia king,

I know a lot of people who use Tradestation and I dont know of any who automate their trading into IB. The only owners who may do would be owners of TS2000i, for those with TS7 then they would more than likely use Tradestation to automate their trades.

There may be someone who does but I have yet to meet them.

Paul

Paul, yes I own tradestation 2000i. You say you haven't met anyone who does that - is it a bad idea then?

I think that tradestation 7 doesn't allow you to use the software with any other brocker or data feed. Correct me if I am wrong

Thanks rog how would I open that data in tradestation or metastock not excel would i have to export it to a metastock or ts format?

ilia king,

I think that the problem is not that using TS2000i with IB is a bad idea but that there is no software currently available to link the two together so it is not an option.

It would require someone to wirte an application that would allow order placement via TS2000i.

JonnyT has written his own software to automatically trade FX via IB and I would guess that it would take someone of his ability to do the same with TS.

Paul

Paul, earlier you recommended MetaServer, so I guess that that only transfers the data, however I would think that entering the orders manually through TSW instead of tradestation doing so automatically wouldn't be too hard. As for Jonny - words cant describe him