Best Thread How To Make Money Trading The Markets.

I can understand why the thread has been culled to remove the nonsense, but why then close the abbreviated thread and leave this version?
And why has this now lost its "best thread" rating and lost its stars?
Sorry if I'm being thick :)
Richard

Hi Richard,
Let me try and explain how this system works.
I can understand why the thread has been culled to remove the nonsense, but why then close the abbreviated thread and leave this version?
The [Best Thread] is a duplicate of the original which I then edit pretty ruthlessly to remove as many off-topic posts as possible. This results in a greatly slimmed down version which, hopefully, makes it less daunting for new subscribers to read. It's closed to ensure that new posts are all posted to the same thread and, as it's inevitable that there will be more off-topic posts in the future - it's best that these are kept in one placce and posted to the original thread.

And why has this now lost its "best thread" rating and lost its stars?
The [Best Thread] has retained its star rating, it's this version that's lost them for some reason. No idea why this happens - I guess it's a default in the software. If it's any consolation, the same thing has happened to all the other [Best Threads] that I've copied and edited - so you're in good company! The lean n clean version listed in the [Best Threads] Sticky has retained it's [Best Thread] prefix, it's only the original version thats lost it. If both threads had the prefix, it would be confusing, especially for new subscribers to it - reading it from scratch.

On a general note, some folks might ask why bother duplicating threads in this way - why not just edit the original thread? The answer is that anyone other than a Mod deleting posts (because they breach site guidelines) results in all sorts of accusations of censorship etc. So, I never do it with the exception of the FAQ forum which I housekeep on a rolling monthly basis. This gets around this issue, so no one can complain that their post has been deleted.

Lastly, it's confusing at the moment because I've only just started working on the [Best Thread] - so there's not much difference between that one and this one. When I'm done, there will be a big difference, and one which I hope you will approve! If you - or anyone else - has any further questions on about [Best Threads] - fire away - and I'll do my best to answer them.
Tim.

Thanks for the explanation, Tim.
I do think it's a pity this thread has lost its "best thread" status as I know some people, including new members, look at the latest threads and read the ones with "best thread" status as not only does that signify those that might be worth reading but saves them ploughing through the large number of lulz-ridden threads, something which I'm sure puts off new members who think such threads pre-dominate. Many do not return - not good for t2w. They then don't get to realise that maybe a third of threads are worth at least a look.
Starting off reading "best threads" creates the t2w addiction which generates more hits.
Like a lot of addicts, it's interesting that the few who over-indulge usually self-destruct.
Anyway, thanks for the explanation, timsk.
Richard

Thanks for the explanation, Tim.
I do think it's a pity this thread has lost its "best thread" status as I know some people, including new members, look at the latest threads and read the ones with "best thread" status as not only does that signify those that might be worth reading but saves them ploughing through the large number of lulz-ridden threads, something which I'm sure puts off new members who think such threads pre-dominate. Many do not return - not good for t2w. They then don't get to realise that maybe a third of threads are worth at least a look.
Starting off reading "best threads" creates the t2w addiction which generates more hits.
Like a lot of addicts, it's interesting that the few who over-indulge usually self-destruct.
Anyway, thanks for the explanation, timsk.
Richard

Hi Richard,
I sort of see what you're saying and, certainly, it's not a perfect system. Most [Best Threads] are inactive, so the issue you highlight doesn't often arise. Also, all new members receive an e-mail directing them to Stickies and FAQs - all of which have links and / or pointers to the [Best Threads]. Therefore, I'd be very surprised if newbies fail to find this - and other [Best Threads]. I think the title alone is enough to pique their interest when they see it listed under 'New Posts' - and then click on this thread. If you like, what I could do is to edit your OP in this thread with a link to the [Best Thread] version? This then alerts new subscribers to the thread's status and will, hopefully, encourage them to read it - knowing they don't have to wade through quagmires of off-topic clutter! Additionally, you could edit the link in your signature so that it's clear that it's the best thread, i.e.:

To see just one of the ways I trade for a living:
[Best Thread] How To Make Money Trading The Markets

These ideas may not address the issue you raise completely but, hopefully, they come close!
Cheers,
Tim.

Thanks for the reply, timsk.
No, it's ok, I can't be bothered altering the signature for that and there's no need to alter the OP, but thanks anyway.
Glad to see you're working and not watching the current TV flummery ;)
Richard

I used this method three times yesterday, resulting in one loser and two winners.

SU lost -7c per share

Attachments

• 030511SU.GIF
    030511SU.GIF
    20.1 KB · Views: 307
PCS and CSC were pre-market choices and SU was off a scanner.
The SU exit was on the chart rule.
The PCS and CSC exits were because L2 T&S looked as if they might be about to reverse. Had I used the chart exit rule on them I'd still have made very substantial profits.
Richard

Eleven trades today, five using this particular method.
Here are the five
UNH lost -6c

Attachments

• 090511UNH.GIF
    090511UNH.GIF
    20.7 KB · Views: 296