How many times do you trade in a month!

Tfadee

How many times do you guys trade within a month as a swing trader. I just converted into swing trading , I realized that swing trading takes a lot of paitience and it helps out with the psychological aspect. Went from trading about 200 positions in a month to like 40 in a month. I feel that 40 is still a little to much my losses does outweigh my wins atm. But I do see really greatest setups from time to time.
Also how much screen time do you guys spend on the charts each day checking for setups?
I'm not used to waiting out candles this long.

How many times do you guys trade within a month as a swing trader. I just converted into swing trading , I realized that swing trading takes a lot of paitience and it helps out with the psychological aspect. Went from trading about 200 positions in a month to like 40 in a month. I feel that 40 is still a little to much my losses does outweigh my wins atm. But I do see really greatest setups from time to time.
Also how much screen time do you guys spend on the charts each day checking for setups?

its a work in progress but somewhere between 10 and 20 average

i have about 10 instruments on watch at the moment and it could just take 5 to 10 mins to flick through them for potentials but setting orders, setting stops/limits or trailing stops, setting alerts, manual exits, etc etc makes it take longer

I might do this about twice a day - am and pm. I have a full-time job.

how long do you spend on screen?

Last edited:

About 1 trade every other day on average and I don't look at charts daily anymore when trading, everything is programmed into a system... Once a week I'll double check the logs to make sure everything is working properly...

About 1 trade every other day on average and I don't look at charts daily anymore when trading, everything is programmed into a system... Once a week I'll double check the logs to make sure everything is working properly...

im starting to think the OP is a one-post wonder :D

im trying to introduce more "mechanics" too e.g. screeners and then perhaps coding on MT4 or something, is that what you use?

Last edited:
im starting to think the OP is a one-post wonder :D

im trying to introduce more "mechanics" too e.g. screeners and then perhaps coding on MT4 or something, is that what you use?

Hey, yes that is how I started, I didn't have a master plan to write a killer trading robot and take over Wall Street :)

I am very lazy guy and couldn't find a scanner to use, so I did write my own, because I was fed up to do it manually every morning, after that I did automate the alerting on stocks to buy with the exact number of shares based on my risk / account size and after than the next logical step for me was to automate the trade... The last algo to complete the picture was the one monitoring my trades and exits...

All this is done on python with my broker's API and the reason is because I don't trust the companies providing trading automation... Maybe because of my job (leading a security/systems team), but I am yet to see an audited track record on how those companies are preventing their employees to look into their clients strategies...

No to mention some of them are directly financed by hedge funds, most of them are startups loosing money, which means the security is not the highest priority and if one day I decide the go to the dark side, they are going to be my first target and it is going to be the perfect crime: noting to steal or ransom, just copy the most successful trading strategies...

Hope this helps...

Hey, yes that is how I started, I didn't have a master plan to write a killer trading robot and take over Wall Street :)

I am very lazy guy and couldn't find a scanner to use, so I did write my own, because I was fed up to do it manually every morning, after that I did automate the alerting on stocks to buy with the exact number of shares based on my risk / account size and after than the next logical step for me was to automate the trade... The last algo to complete the picture was the one monitoring my trades and exits...

All this is done on python with my broker's API and the reason is because I don't trust the companies providing trading automation... Maybe because of my job (leading a security/systems team), but I am yet to see an audited track record on how those companies are preventing their employees to look into their clients strategies...

No to mention some of them are directly financed by hedge funds, most of them are startups loosing money, which means the security is not the highest priority and if one day I decide the go to the dark side, they are going to be my first target and it is going to be the perfect crime: noting to steal or ransom, just copy the most successful trading strategies...

Hope this helps...

Ah yes helpful thanks, you mentioned your python before but i'm not familiar with pythons or APIs I will cross that and the other bridges if i come to them. I'll do what you did and automate bits as i go. MT4 seems to be a good enough place to start as i will be using an MT4 account :)

Last edited:
Ah yes helpful thanks, you mentioned your python before but i'm not familiar with pythons or APIs I will cross that and the other bridges if i come to them. I'll do what you did and automate bits as i go. MT4 seems to be a good enough place to start as i will be using an MT4 account :)

Python is just a program language, I don't like it much (not that I am developer by any stretch of the imagination), but it is easy to learn and wildly used in finance, so it is worth the hassle, because programing is the 21st century literacy as I like to say...

Also it is great for back testing (you'll need to buy data tough), you can program whatever you like and let it run, easy to make changes and adjustments...

Once you know how to program, the next step is to take a look the API provided by your broker - essentially it is a set of functions you can use, the documentation often contains examples as well...

Here is the link to the IB API:

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=5041

Good luck!

Python is just a program language, I don't like it much (not that I am developer by any stretch of the imagination), but it is easy to learn and wildly used in finance, so it is worth the hassle, because programing is the 21st century literacy as I like to say...

Also it is great for back testing (you'll need to buy data tough), you can program whatever you like and let it run, easy to make changes and adjustments...

Once you know how to program, the next step is to take a look the API provided by your broker - essentially it is a set of functions you can use, the documentation often contains examples as well...

Here is the link to the IB API:

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=5041

Good luck!

thanks for clarifying, i can do some simple code in prorealtime and i use that at the moment to screen, so im confident i can do more automation in time... maybe one day ill do some "fishing in the cloud" like you (y)

thanks for clarifying, i can do some simple code in prorealtime and i use that at the moment to screen, so im confident i can do more automation in time... maybe one day ill do some "fishing in the cloud" like you (y)

Good plan! Speaking of fishing, with so many English lads here, is anyone carp fishing? I am about to go for a short 2 hours session...

Hello traders anybody on the forum trading swing trading the M6E and profitable? if so I would like to hear from you.

Thank You

Bill

i have scalped up to 2-300 times a day .....try to ease it back a lot now