How long should I demo before going live?

James turtle

24 2
hi guys,

Im a newbie to trading and was just wondering how long should I stay in demo before going live?

Just wanting to get ideas from more experienced traders thanks!
Yes you must. When i was new i traded on a demo account for months to learn the basics of trading. Even now years later, i go back to the demo account from time to time to test new strategies.

konstantinresto

11 1
Without a trading strategy and tactics, an understandable visualization of the market, as well as an understanding of pricing processes, it makes no sense to work on a demo, or on a real account.

Reactions: denys

Vellfx

17 2
i think demo should be done just for a month or so, then move to a micro account, that way one is able to learn more. go with a micro account with no leverage.

GMoore87

46 6
There are no time specifics for a demo account. Whenever you see yourself doing good, your strategies are working out and you can understand indicators, probably you can switch.

Reactions: denys

Anci_smith

11 0
Do demo trading, till the time you are not sure of your strategies and yourself as a successful trader.

Hudson Jack

16 1
There is no rush. That completely depends on an individual. This is your money and you need to make that right decision for yourself.

Smith2525

23 3
hi guys,

Im a newbie to trading and was just wondering how long should I stay in demo before going live?

Just wanting to get ideas from more experienced traders thanks!
Until you are comfortable with the features of the platform you are using. Then start off with a small account

NVP

Legendary member
37,104 1,918

hey Fib - man o man I love bruce lee ...i practiced martial arts in the 70's and early 80s .....and worshiped him...and I follow up with one of my own favourite quotes for scalping and business below that is kind of also what you are saying

N

Attachments

fibo_trader

Veteren member
4,200 82
hey Fib - man o man I love bruce lee ...i practiced martial arts in the 70's and early 80s .....and worshiped him...and I follow up with one of my own favourite quotes for scalping and business below that is kind of also what you are saying

N

hahahahahaha, as usual the only one who gets it at T2W is NVP. Like I said, if NVP decides to leave T2W it will become a Sepulcher within months

For the uninitiated and inexperienced and stultifying trading losers it means that as in Bruce Lee's "boards don't hit back" and Mike Tyson's "until they get hit" ..................... the deafening message is thru' a megaphone, "DEMO's don't hit back and worse, the power they pack is less than that of Mr. Market's softest fart"

Take that to the bank, lads.

Help them Father, they are all heading to DEATH playing with funnymoney.

Yippie kai yeh

Your court, McQueen

fibo_trader

Veteren member
4,200 82
You will probably get many contrary replies to what I'm about to say (possibly along the lines of you won't know what trading is until you try for real – and I'll be the 1st to agree with that) but I am of the firm belief that you should not go live until you have convincingly proved to yourself that your demo trading is reliably successful – and that may take some time to achieve and will likely test your perseverance and patience to the limit!

It's probably worth heeding what Mr Charts says. He is one of our long-most serving members and, I believe, has been trading for a living for about 20 years, so he should know a thing or 2 about trading live. I can recommend you to read all of his most helpful stuff but particularly his account of how he transferred from his previous occupation to trading. In that (if I recall correctly) he recommends at least 100 paper trades of a successful nature in order to ascertain reliability and competence.

My logic is: until you can papertrade successfully there is little point in risking real money. And even then you should still be prepared for disappointment. On the other hand, if you've got loads of spare dosh go ahead straightaway – you'll certainly learn lessons you won't forget in a hurry! But all that's only my opinion – others will tell you different.:)

Your Honor, pls add this gent to the list of T2W untouchables who achieved this lofty status by not trading live

Violet (counter-violent), malaguti, barjon, tomorten, timsk, Signalcalc, batsonar, Rufus_Leakey, postman, Atilla, Nowler, Dentalfloss, Pat494, new_trader, Dowser, postman

Since NVP brought up Mike Tyson, this is how a fight between any of these untouchables and Mike Tyson would go down. And here's the kicker: a fight between Mike Tyson and Mr. Financial Market would go down even faster with Tyson as the loser EVERY DAMN TIME

fibo_trader

Veteren member
4,200 82
Demo trader against the market is a sure shot loser 100% guaranteed. A one inch ant versus a 7 ft giant with daddy long legs and arms - just to reach his head with a kick one gots to be an acrobat

One or more things a DEMO trader never has to do is dig deep, I mean go deeeeeeep undercover and come out of the depts of his soul with a nugget that gives him the Edge needed

Behold Bruce showing the nuggets .....................

0:46
1:57
2:07
3:57

fibo_trader

Veteren member
4,200 82
At 3:02 = ultimate nugget = best and deepest EDGE known to Man

At 3:20 Bruce builds up the "coiling force of a 4th wave required for the rocket thrust out of the triangle in Wave 5" Of course he did all this without knowing Wave Theory. That be the domain of Fibo. :):):)

Pat494

Legendary member
14,062 1,447
Work on the demo until you re making money regularly. It is slightly different on a micro account but this is the next step until you are weekly positive. Only then onto the regular account and start small.
If you have little patience then you have an uphill battle within yourself that MUST be won.

Adoralmeena

45 2
A demo account is a great opportunity to practice, but many overestimate their positive impact. To begin with, the demo account doesn't allow you to penetrate the main thing - the psychology of trading. No, of course, your'e sorry to lose even virtual money, but we will be honest, they do not represent special value for you.

That's why, I always say that a demo account is not suitable for training strategies. The task of the demo account is different. It was created in order to help you begin to navigate how the market works and try the most basic things. Once you understand this and do + 20-25%, forget about the demo account.

Only your psychology matters, and the demo account gives a feeling of carelessness. So, trade on a demo account until you understand that you understand how the exchange works, and then proceed to trade with a small amount of money.