God Bless our Military

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe in universal values, not medieval islamo-values i.e. I believe in equal rights for females and homosexuals, not their victimisation by heinous peoples.

The civilised world has every right to ensure human rights and universal values, concepts which are missing from the vocabulary of the fanatics and terrorists.

Those who defy the requirement for universal values must face the full military wrath of the civilised world, if possible with the backing of the UN like we have in Libya.

The days of the terrorist Gaddafi are numbered. Soon he will be with his virgins in hell.

May our Lord protect our troops.

I have lived in 8 different countries and experienced many differing cultures and I am not so sure that the West is as civilised as it thinks it is.
Thought as much.

You can run, but you can't hide....Mr. Ackroyd, or, may I call you...

OSAMA BIN ACKROYD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was easier in the old days.

England ruled the world and anyone who didn’t agree with that had a gunboat shoved up their tributary.

On a serious note, I read recently of a theory that the effective global locus of power moves Westward every 50 years. The mid-1800s saw France at its Zenith. England’s gunboat days ended around the turn of the last century, Germany played their hand until the mid-1900s and the US seems to have found its peak in recent years. I’m guessing and going from a rapidly failing memory here so I’d appreciate anyone with a more solid grasp of history to correct any timeline errors.

But, if this theory does have any substance, that could explain the ascendance of the East European countries.

It was easier in the old days.

England ruled the world and anyone who didn’t agree with that had a gunboat shoved up their tributary.

On a serious note, I read recently of a theory that the effective global locus of power moves Westward every 50 years. The mid-1800s saw France at its Zenith. England’s gunboat days ended around the turn of the last century, Germany played their hand until the mid-1900s and the US seems to have found its peak in recent years. I’m guessing and going from a rapidly failing memory here so I’d appreciate anyone with a more solid grasp of history to correct any timeline errors.

But, if this theory does have any substance, that could explain the ascendance of the East European countries.

What goes around comes around init guv?

Not sure why I’m thinking Russia rather than China as China should be a more obvious choice for global locus of power. The problem with that scenario though is that once they’ve attained global domination, couple of hours later, they’ll want to do it all over again.

I believe in universal values, not medieval islamo-values i.e. I believe in equal rights for females and homosexuals, not their victimisation by heinous peoples.

The civilised world has every right to ensure human rights and universal values, concepts which are missing from the vocabulary of the fanatics and terrorists.

Those who defy the requirement for universal values must face the full military wrath of the civilised world, if possible with the backing of the UN like we have in Libya.

The days of the terrorist Gaddafi are numbered. Soon he will be with his virgins in hell.

May our Lord protect our troops.

Mugabe next then or the pirates in Somalia....aaah.....no oil !

Disdain? None of it sir.

With my limited experience in the forces as a retired Colonel in Her Majesty’s Lightly Armoured Mounted Parachute Corps I can assure you there are no conscripts in HM Armed Forces – they all volunteered. Their reasons for joining are varied of course, but none to my knowledge did so to ‘fight for freedom’ - theirs or anyone else’s.

That they go into battle and on occasion brick it good and proper is not disputed. Been there, done that. Neither is the fact that they do so under orders. This in no way detracts from the job they do and the price they, their friends, comrades and family sometimes also unfortunately pay. That extreme acts of bravery and heroism are witnessed on a daily basis is also a fact. (I well remember one Sgt. who lovingly cared for my critically injured steed after a particularly bad jump shielding him from fierce enemy fire and taking serious wounds himself in the process, ultimately in vain. But I digress.)

It is a canard to confuse military action in any sphere with ‘fighting for freedom’ as this is rarely the agenda set by those who give the orders to those who give the orders. And do not confuse the motives of those who join the forces with ‘fighting for freedom’ as this is, to my knowledge, never the reason for joining. A bit of a laugh, a family tradition, a chance to get a trade, no other option, to play with the latest and ultimate in big boys’ toys and for some, simply the macabre possibility that they will get to fight and kill are all in the mix.

If you were really that keen to protect your ‘freedoms’ you’d look to those who you believe limit whatever freedoms you suspect you no longer have or feel are being threatened and you’d kill them. Typically this is more likely to be your next door neighbour than a raghead tribesman a few thousand miles away.

I think you are talking out your ar$e and pretending you were in the army when you weren't.

Sir, you have obviously carried out deep research and established to your satisfaction that Her Majesty’s Lightly Armoured Mounted Parachute does not exist.

That’s exactly what the MoD want you to think.

I can assure you the men of the 303 were the most tightly knit bunch serving in the armed forces until they were disbanded at Rosslyn just after the Tonga Conflict of 1998.

That we will never again be able to witness the sight of an entire battalion disgorging fully battle ready in mounted order from a fleet of C-5s is something that saddens me still to this day.

Even though both soldier and horse were trained extensively, the skill and courage required to jettison one’s mount just before landing and then glide oneself back onto the saddle while one’s terrified steed tried to make off in random directions away from the thick of battle was for me, one of the greatest accomplishments my men could ever hope to attain and made engaging with the enemy a relative stroll in the park. Many a time it would take a minute or two to bring the unhappy steed under order and the sight of a Chevalier (lowest rank of the 303) in full gallop with canopy deployed was often sufficient in novelty value alone to diminish or even temporarily halt enemy action in that sector.

That you are and those like you are completely unaware of our existence let alone my valiant troops’ exploits which have directly enabled you to remain ignorantly comfortable in your and numb, cocaine induced fog of an existence is something for which I do not hold you accountable or for which I begrudge you. We did what we did for all.

“TUA MATER TAM ANTIQUIOR UT LINGUAM LATINE LOQUATUR”

lol

u know, if I were one of the ones that believed you, I would be embarrassed.

u know, if I were one of the ones that believed you, I would be embarrassed.
Well, baby, bath water and all that. You just don't know which bits are true and which are less than totally true.

On a totally separate note, does anyone know why all the US intelligence community (certainly those based in my neck of the woods) were all shipped home yesterday with less than 24 hours notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.