FTSE 100 October 2004

peterpr said:
I the world economy slipstreaming the US.

or rather wallowing in the mess once it (the US economy) hits that tidle-wave of foreign-owned Federal debt etc etc

peterpr[/B

Congratulations, four posts on the trot qualifies you as a serial ranter.
Like barjon and myself you had the pleasure of answering your own posts.

Unlike yourself I am not so sure the US reckoning will occur this year but would not be surprised to see an upsurge just before the 2nd November.

I hope all holds together when the stitches are removed.

Regards

bracke

barjon

pratbh says thank you for closing your long it paid for his short. He will be back to gloat later after completing his world tour.

peterpr says he was out of the market when his trusty steed proved not to be so trusty and he missed one fall but managed to find another. He is now dinning on horse steak.

bracke says he has been so confused about the markets that he is hiding in a cupboard until he sees the light but as he wont come out of the cupboard that is unlikely.

Regards

bracke ( a cupboard bear )

peter

glad you're on the mend. you'd better stay clear of the market for a bit in case an enormous profit makes you grin - shouldn't like you to suffer!!!

jon

bracke

you mean pratbh is in profit now? and i thought i'd ridden my long on his short :LOL:

jon

Bracke / Jon

Damn you both - practically bust my bloody stitches laughing at those posts - brought tears to the yes (correction - eyes)

The serial ranter..

barjon said:
bracke

you mean pratbh is in profit now? and i thought i'd ridden my long on his short :LOL:

jon

I think that you reference to riding is in poor taste. it is likely to bring back bad memories to our equestrian bear. Please remember the afflicted.

Regards

bracke

RogerM said:
Well, I guess it's "horses for courses".

Another unfortunate reference to solid-hoofed quadrupeds ( didn't want to use the 'h' word for fear of causing distress )

Is there any truth in the rumour that a new road sign is to be errected in part of Derbyshire

BEWARE OF FALLING BEARS

Regards

bracke

neigh lad! ;)

just bcoz he (obviously) doesnt sit on the fence ~ or the horse ;) ~ is no reason to trot out all these old chestnuts. Bear with us peter pls :)

OUCH- This is getting beyond a joke!

I MEAN it - it hurts to smile and every time I open this thread there are more howlers!!!

I'll post a picture if you're not careful - That should shut you all up.

Watching my AFX news feed sooths though - Not much for the serious bulls today - so far: ie US Trade gap widens; Jobless up; Dollar falls on news; Bernanke counselling floating X rates (No doubt with an eye on China); crude oil remains stubbornly up; Bleak UK Chambers of Commerce forecast etc.

Still staying out of it for the time being though

Hello alliance

How is the course progressing, are you coming to grips with TA ?

What if anything are you trading or are you waiting until you complete the course ?

Regards

bracke

peterpr said:
OUCH- This is getting beyond a joke!

I MEAN it - it hurts to smile and every time I open this thread there are more howlers!!!

I'll post a picture if you're not careful - That should shut you all up.

Watching my AFX news feed sooths though - Not much for the serious bulls today - so far: ie US Trade gap widens; Jobless up; Dollar falls on news; Bernanke counselling floating X rates (No doubt with an eye on China); crude oil remains stubbornly up; Bleak UK Chambers of Commerce forecast etc.

Still staying out of it for the time being though

peterpr

You describe a very bullish scenario but you remain out of the market.
Is this because you lack conviction in your assessment or you have lost you confidence after the recent rises which resulted in your fall - financial not the other.

Regards

bracke

bracke said:
peterpr
You describe a very bullish scenario but you remain out of the market.
Is this because you lack conviction in your assessment or you have lost you confidence after the recent rises which resulted in your fall - financial not the other.
bracke

Bracke

Think you mean bearish?

General confidence doesn't enter into it; also, only just getting the brain back into gear after nearly trashing it (New hard hat needed so it's a good thing I was wearing it!) . Just not got the right signals (confidence) that this is the start of the expected major downleg - yet. Frankly I expect some serious intra-day swings between now and whenever the market decides what the US election outcome will be (probably well before anyone casts a vote too!). Problem is, looking at the DOW right now and the latest upward reversal in gold - it may already have decided (on Kerry).

Dangerous times

Here's an interesting link on the possible market impact of the US election with reference to what happened in 2000.: http://www.safehaven.com/article-2070.htm

Last edited:
Interesting to view the bigger picture to see how the story is playing out for the FTSE…..

4700 ish was a significant support level back in 98/99 so it is no surprise that the index has backed off that level as resistance now, but from previous experience with ‘tops', I'm inclined to suspect that some retests are almost inevitable, and a breakout could lead quite quickly to a test of 5000…..

It’s not all over for the bulls yet imho….

Attachments

• 14-10-04.gif
    14-10-04.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 210
tradesmart said:
Interesting to view the bigger picture to see how the story is playing out for the FTSE…..

4700 ish was a significant support level back in 98/99 so it is no surprise that the index has backed off that level as resistance now, but from previous experience with ‘tops', I'm inclined to suspect that some retests are almost inevitable, and a breakout could lead quite quickly to a test of 5000…..

That's a solid exposition of why I'm just watching still - with the odd little intra-day minor move flutter.

Aside from the technicals which can still be viewed as supporting at least a bullish month or two , if the macro-outlook continues to deteriorate, then my guess is that the technicals will morph into consensus bearish mode - The US election is still a major complicating factor though.

Hope you bulls have closed your longs now :)
I seriously need your money.

Rebound next week?

tradesmart said:

just filled in some lines - 4450 in a couple of days?

Attachments

• ftse.gif
    ftse.gif
    30.1 KB · Views: 223