FTSE 100 Intraday - December

I suspect we will , in due time, overcome that resistance (Eyes Left ?) and of course it could happen now.

Nothing in sight yet which says we wont reach it and maybe 5000 as well.

Trends always go further than you think ?
So think big !
:LOL:

Bonsai,
I also think people forget that FTSE has yet to regain 38% of the 2002-2003 bear market (4680), let alone its 50% level (5110). Given FTSE's very,very low tech weighting this suggests, to me anyway, that being overly bearish may be a frustrating experience. I have no idea where the FTSE is going, but I am aware its performance, to-date, has been nothing to write home about. Now if only those Oil companies could get interesting....

Morning ,

and dont forget we have a gap to 4450 from last year to fill:)

The rising 1 day SMA has repelled the FTSE 100. So that is a positive development. However, the bounce appears to be capped by the falling 1 hour SMA.

confusing old world isn't it

of the ftse fourteen 4 opened higher and now trade lower than
open. 8 opened lower of which 6 now trade higher than open.

at least volume suggests there's a bit of a contest today

seem to have a fib at 4388
so that gives a reasonable amount of headroom for profit.

that changes things.

Ok, whilst it's in limbo, a quick question. I was having a chat with someone last night and we were debating whether the indivdual stocks move the index which move the FUtures or whether it's the futures doing the leading. Although we couldnt agree we did come to the same question,; ignoring the debate of who leads who, how is it possible that, with the amount of money traded on an index with 100 stocks and in future contracts , that the two can track each other so closely? With the amount of exchanges in stocks and contracts and time delays of orders, fills, and information flow surely one would explect more fluctuation between the two than there is.? So why isnt there? Is it because the same people are playing both games?

In general terms it's all rather more sophisticated than it used to be.
Once they created FTSE100, it all changed.
Everybody is watching everything, computers create almost
instantaneous fills and Option traders hedge with futures etc etc.

So it is all interwoven like 'string' theory ?

It all happens too fast to give a simple explanation of who is leading who.

It's a global market these days.

Whatever you do, don't blink !
lol

unless perhaps if you go OTC.

that was my answer during the debate that its all interdependent, but I still find it quite amazing how similar the futs and cash charts look like at the end of the day. I guess its a Market mystery for someone alot birghter than me to understand:)

Arbitrage is the answer. Having worked in the smoke I can tell you that it is a significant occupation trading the minute differences between the cash and futures. The big houses have very, very powerful mainframes marking to market constantly. It is the analysis of fair value. When it the futures moves away from it a trade is initiated. (remember these traders have no costs- stamp duty or commission and can deal within the quote)

and in theory anyway, electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light. (its a pity some programs arent that efficient- lol)

so how many transactions do you think can be processed
in a minute ?
how fast is your own computer ? (ignoring BT)
100 mips is nothing these days.

Despite the oscillations of the FTSE100 around both the hour and day SMA, the 1 day SMA is still rising (if slowing) so remain +ve.

thanks Mully, but that seesm to suggest that the Futures follow/react to the cash rather than any other inter relationship

Last edited:
Who is Molly?????

I do not think you can come to any conclusion.
The process is dynamic.
Each product reacts to each other.
It is the similar to the addage: "Which came first ? The chicken or the egg?

City types have only one interest: making money.

Sorry, I will edit the typo. Ok so as you say each product reacts to each other...and thus you wouldnt you expect more randomness between the two?; but there isnt so thus there must be some natural order to it all

who said anything was random ?
but its something else to say there is a natural order to things that we are able to perceive.

they are not opposites, surely.

why couldnt there be a whole series of overlapping 'cycles'
some are in phase, so we may recognise them and others out of phase which we call 'noise' .

I suspect the only thing about the market that is random is when
Aunt Agatha buys 2000 shares in Gidgets plc ?

I think we have just seen a gap down through my fib
now is that a random event ?
I doubt it.

and the Dax broke its trendline at the same time !