FTSE 100 August 2004

bracke.. those pivots you are referring too.

are they daily or weekly levels? as 9864 is the genesis target, derived in a completely different manner...

this is the 2nd time targets coincide with standard pivots...reverse engineering should be able to nail a top/bottom and close at this rate...

:)

alliance said:
Good Morning,

That's all!

(oops...well done barjon..nice one)!

What do you mean thats all ! Get back here and put some work in.

By the way I think barjon's success should be disallowed as it appears he uses certain substances to aid his trading.

Regards

bracke

FetteredChinos said:
bracke.. those pivots you are referring too.

are they daily or weekly levels? as 9864 is the genesis target, derived in a completely different manner...

this is the 2nd time targets coincide with standard pivots...reverse engineering should be able to nail a top/bottom and close at this rate...

Daily Pivots

Regards

bracke

DOW PIVOTS FOR 17/08

Pivot=9916
R1=10006 S1=9864
R2=10057 S2=9774
R3=10148 S3=9722

FTSE PIVOTS FOR 17/08

Pivot=4329
R1=4374 S1=4304
R2=4399 S2=4259
R3=4444 S3=4234

Regards

bracke

My TA gleaned from my sources(!) is similar to urs bracke..but not identical. So just 4 the hell of it..here is wot I have:

DOW

Pivot=9912
R1=9993 S1=9858
R2=10046 S2=9777

The only key diff there is R1..in terms of above or below the pyschological 10k

FTSE PIVOTS FOR 17/08

Pivot=4332
R1=4380 S1=4306
R2=4406 S2=4258

Here R2 ....above or below the pyschological 4k

Ok, bracke,enuff work 4 2day ;)

alliance said:
My TA gleaned from my sources(!) is similar to urs bracke..but not identical. So just 4 the hell of it..here is wot I have:

DOW

Pivot=9912
R1=9993 S1=9858
R2=10046 S2=9777

The only key diff there is R1..in terms of above or below the pyschological 10k

FTSE PIVOTS FOR 17/08

Pivot=4332
R1=4380 S1=4306
R2=4406 S2=4258

Here R2 ....above or below the pyschological 4k

Ok, bracke,enuff work 4 2day ;)

Not so fast.

Where did you get the information from ?

Regards

bracke

bracke said:
Good Morning Fellow Posters

The dow gained 130 points yesterday and ftse is somewhat sniffy about it and refuses to join in the fun. Perhaps it is waiting to see if there are another 130 before following.

bracke

The ftse actually moved up more than the DOW in percentage terms yesterday - 1.26 - v 1.12% - granted the bulk of the move followed the DOW which surged up from its open right up to the London close - then stayed pretty flat.

Must admit that I'm tempted to pile in with a short. Don't think we're going to see a dramatic decline today so will probably wait for the US CPI and Industrial production figures.

my money is on crap news from the US, or surprisingly good news, such that it would re-ignite the fears of further rising interest rates.

either way, i reckon south is on the cards...

peterpr said:
The ftse actually moved up more than the DOW in percentage terms yesterday - 1.26 - v 1.12% - granted the bulk of the move followed the DOW which surged up from its open right up to the London close - then stayed pretty flat.

Must admit that I'm tempted to pile in with a short. Don't think we're going to see a dramatic decline today so will probably wait for the US CPI and Industrial production figures.

Peter

I am somewhat confused I have the % changes as

dow - friday close 9825, monday close 9955 = +130 = 1.32%

ftse - friday close 4302, monday close 4350 = +48 = 1.12%

The above are to the nearest whole figure.

I was trying to make the point that the dow continued to rise after the ftse closed but It was not reflected in the ftse at the time I typed the post but I think it may have now changed its mind.

On the data front the chronic balance of payment figures last week did not appear to get much airing probably due to the focus on oil.

Regards

bracke

Where did you get the information from ?

Sorry Bracke, I cannot reveal my sources....I would have to kill u afterwards ;)
Seriously tho, I get them as part (small part) of some analysis that I subscribe to.

Seems that if 1.30 +2.15 news are both good..we couldf flyyyyyyy (famous last words) :cheesy:

FC:
No journal entry thus far 2day for Genesis....from my reading of y'day's..u would be short right now...correct?

alliance said:
Sorry Bracke, I cannot reveal my sources....I would have to kill u afterwards ;)
Seriously tho, I get them as part (small part) of some analysis that I subscribe to.

Seems that if 1.30 +2.15 news are both good..we couldf flyyyyyyy (famous last words) :cheesy:

I would have thought that you had more than enough sauce to reveal your source.

Perhaps you should ask your source what formula they use to derive the figures as it appears to be different from the stelaronline site I gave you last week.

Does yor last paragraph indicate that you have a long trade in place or are looking to place one ? I suspect that it will have to be very good news to move the focus away from oil.

Regards

bracke

Does yor last paragraph indicate that you have a long trade in place or are looking to place one ?[/QUOTE

I took a long last nt from 9928 (IG) May close quickly depending on news! I think oil has moved into shadows..FOR NOW!edit: That was Dow obviously..no Ftse trade on.

:cheesy: @ 1.30 news effect!!!

yup im still short. not looking good after the 1.30 data......

stop is at 10034 though. still looking for some downside....

alliance said:
Does yor last paragraph indicate that you have a long trade in place or are looking to place one ?[/QUOTE

I took a long last nt from 9928 (IG) May close quickly depending on news! I think oil has moved into shadows..FOR NOW!

Interesting, we are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I went short yesterday at 9920 ( yes, a mite too early )

Was your trade based on TA ( silly question but I have to ask ) or is gut feel back in favour again.

Why do you use IG their spreads are a wider than Capital Spreads ?

Regards

bracke

Hi bracke:
Interesting that u went short @9920, as I viewed that very figure as proving to be very good support in late trading y'day, and it was a key factor in my going long! I guess it was a combo of both TA and Fundamentals. Apparently all sectors (US) bounced back y'day (excl food)..so the breadth of the buyers coming in was a good sign in my book, as it showed buying interest right across the board. Oil worries and therefore prices subsided a lil. A safe Olympic opening weekend thank the lord! The Dow's ability to maintain 9000+ easily and without much threat. All of the above contributed to my decision.

I use IG coz that's who I started with! Tho I like all I hear about Capital Spreads ..they don't operate 24hrs...and I prefer that option even if I dont use it much!

alliance said:
Hi bracke:
Interesting that u went short @9920, as I viewed that very figure as proving to be very good support in late trading y'day, and it was a key factor in my going long! I guess it was a combo of both TA and Fundamentals. Apparently all sectors (US) bounced back y'day (excl food)..so the breadth of the buyers coming in was a good sign in my book, as it showed buying interest right across the board. Oil worries and therefore prices subsided a lil. A safe Olympic opening weekend thank the lord! The Dow's ability to maintain 9000+ easily and without much threat. All of the above contributed to my decision.

I use IG coz that's who I started with! Tho I like all I hear about Capital Spreads ..they don't operate 24hrs...and I prefer that option even if I dont use it much!

Your reading of the situation was better than mine.

I went short because it had reached R3, the ma was levelling and volume had dropped of but all to no avail.

I will hold the short until stoploss is hit but it will be interesting to see if it is going to make a significant break above 10,000.

Regards

bracke

It appears to be different from the stelaronline site I gave you last week.

I should perhaps(!) have highlighted that the figs were for sept ftse + cash dow!