Fibonacci-Trader Discussion Board

sbullimore said:
Maybe, but I have been trying to measure from as many pivot points as possible, therefore getting areas of confluence. When you do this over a number of charts, it becomes very time consuming. I also like to include Price Projections and Expansions, which aren't included in the calculator.

Also, for projections, you are retacing from "C", rather than "B" (from the notes, as I don't want to reveal the course contents) so the Fib calculator works in the same manner. I can totally understand from your time consuming statement, but I love spending time on charts. I guess individuals differ. Have you had much success, sbullimore ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Trading Forex with Fibonacci

In the Forex markets, price reacts to Fib lines with uncanny accuracy. Mojo had some things to say about Joe DiNapoli's methods which I have observed as well and find are mostly right on.

The idea is to find support and resistance lines from several different Fib studies and where there is a confluence of lines at a price level that will determine a zone of high probability. High probability that the price will react when it goes into the zone. Usually a bounce in the opposite direction. We are not looking for pinpoint accuracy here.... in Forex a few points one way or another is ok. On numerous occasions I have have plotted Fib lines at Friday's close and seen the price hit them and react when the dealing desks open again on Sunday afternoon or later into Monday. This type of reacting off of fib lines has happened with any number of currencies and over all kinds of time frames. It is not coincidence, nor is it that there are 'so many lines that some of them will eventually be hit'.

The goal is to take the 50/50 chance of up or down price direction and make that ratio a higher probability in your favor. Confirmation of the fib lines with MAs and studies like the Stochastic, MACD, and the TRSI of Neil Hughes, make the probability even better. Then there are chart patterns and trend lines that can be drawn to stack the odds even more in your favor. If you want to add studies by Gann or others, go for it. The more factors that come from DIFFERENT types of calculations or indicators .. that all coverge giving you the same info about price action, the better. The key is to have different signals (not calculated in the same manner or from the exact same data) giving you the same conclusion. That is confluence.

All of the information above is a skill. The art involved is what to do with the information. Am I going to take the bounce off of the fib level when it gets to the confluence zone? Or, am I going to jump in the trade now and ride price to the confluence zone and get out because of the high probability of a reversal? What about points of resistance and support at higher time frames, am I going to run into problems with my chosen direction because I am not noticing the larger picture?

As for using fib calculators... I have yet to see a charting package... free or for a price ... that does not have a fib tool that puts lines directly on the chart, thus giving retracements, extensions and expansions. Projections are a different animal. Only the newest download from GFT and Joe DiNapoli's trading package has these, which are a Joe DiNapoli invention. But there is a calculator for free that can be used. It just doesnt put the info on the screen so you have to draw your own lines.

I am still learning all of this, getting more comfortable trusting the fib zones, making some trades both real and on paper. And, gathering information and practicing, practicing practicing so that I have more 'Aha's' and can begin to use the skills to develop the art.

LouietheToad

Tuesday - 4/19/05 - ENTRY LEVELS

Fibvortex.Com - Entry Levels for Tuesday, April 19, 2005.

Attachments

• aapl14-921x654.jpg
    aapl14-921x654.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 340
  • rimm14-920x645.jpg
    rimm14-920x645.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 300
  • klac14-924x647.png
    klac14-924x647.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 342
  • ebay14-922x657.png
    ebay14-922x657.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,297
  • mxim14-924x632.png
    mxim14-924x632.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 255
The pattern is well know..

But Wave59 is the first software to chart one if I remember correctly..

Re the 'good old' wave 59 vortex......

Not the Holy Grail then...

If there is a Holy Grail, it would be free, you know.
It would also be deceptively obvious ... as in, "why didnt I notice that before?"
And it would not work for just anyone. ;)

-oo0(GoldTrader) said:
Hybrid Thread

What the hell is the Fibonacci series?

Why is it everyone always misses the first two members of the fib sequence ? Maybe Im being pedantic but the sequence starts 0, 1, 1, 2, 3.... not 1, 2, 3 ;)

Last edited:
tant

Hybrid Thread

Leonardo Pisano Fibonacci
pisa1.gif

He didn’t have anything to do with that leaning tower by any chance?
Joules MM1 said:
As a gold bug I suggest you investigate it further.

Leonardo Pisano Fibonacci has made a lot of traders very wealthy and his study takes practice to utilise to its fullest extent.

23 38.2 (50) 61.8 78 (square root of 61.8) 161.8 etc as percentages

0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 (complete sequence for some cycles) to progress simply add the previous number (89+144 etc).
The above was the name of a little Web presentation. I learned about Fibonacci in "Technical analysis for new technicians," long ago.
Thanks

I have been trading for about a year now using a very basic MA cross sequence for scalping on Forex. A friend put me onto Fib retracement, explaining how accurate it is. I agree entirely.

The problem I have is knowing just where to plot the retracement from, something that I think Chartman touched on in an early part of this thread. I use high/low points but what I have been doing is starting from the top of the highest bull candle to the bottom of the lowest bear candle. However I noticed on some of the example charts that the high point could be the top of a bear candle if that was higher than any bull candles and the low point could be the bottom of a bull candle if that was lower than any bear candles................Stange :rolleyes: Is that where I'm going wrong? I noticed that where the support/resistance levels occured didn't always quite line up with my Fib levels.

Also, what chart do I plot my Fib on. Being as I normally use 1 min, 5 min and 15 min charts for scalping I tried plotting on these with mixed results, however that may be down to me using the wrong candles maybe?. A friend said he plots on a 1 hr chart, but trades on a 15 min chart.

Thanks in anticipation.

Demag - no longer use candles myself, but might be able to help.

Bull Candle, Bear Candle? Is your Bull candle one that closes higher than the previous one or one that closes higher than it opened? (Ditto, in reverse for Bear candle).

And your top/bottom of your candles. Are you talking body or shadow (wick)?

I find taking the lowest low point and highest high point, regardless of chart type yields the quickest/easiest results. And you can only get 'so' exact with this stuff so why spend more time than you need to.

Regarding timeframes, you need absolutely to be constructing the Fibs on the chart timeframe you are trading. However, it is a lot more 'interesting' :cool: if you get confirmation of your retracement levels in other timefreames as well at round about the same levels.

HTH

demag said:
I have been trading for about a year now using a very basic MA cross sequence for scalping on Forex. A friend put me onto Fib retracement, explaining how accurate it is. I agree entirely.

The problem I have is knowing just where to plot the retracement from, something that I think Chartman touched on in an early part of this thread. I use high/low points but what I have been doing is starting from the top of the highest bull candle to the bottom of the lowest bear candle. However I noticed on some of the example charts that the high point could be the top of a bear candle if that was higher than any bull candles and the low point could be the bottom of a bull candle if that was lower than any bear candles................Stange :rolleyes: Is that where I'm going wrong? I noticed that where the support/resistance levels occured didn't always quite line up with my Fib levels.

Also, what chart do I plot my Fib on. Being as I normally use 1 min, 5 min and 15 min charts for scalping I tried plotting on these with mixed results, however that may be down to me using the wrong candles maybe?. A friend said he plots on a 1 hr chart, but trades on a 15 min chart.

Thanks in anticipation.

Fibonacci retracements are good, but, if improperly placed, it can give you bad entry levels and it is very difficult to determine the appropriate placement points. I have been consistently successful using Fibonacci Spirals, maybe you should look into it.

Sorry for the delay,

Yes Bramble, Bull candle closes higher than opened. Bear candle closes lower than opened.

Top/bottom of candles I am talking wick (shadows). Now that all you good people have cleared a few points up I have been having a play over the last day or two and going on that info my support/resistance levels are looking a lot more accurate.

fibvortex, you've got me there mate, I've heard of retracements, arcs etc but not spirals. What are they then? Sounds interesting. You also mentioned about bad entry and exit. Well my exits haven't been too bad but I have struggled on the entry at times (as the actress said to the bishop!) This is probably all tied in to my support/resistance levels being out due to using the wrong candles to plot from. I've hesitated and on a few occasions the markets moved opposite to my thinking.

Thanks for all the help.

For a better understanding you can google, fibonacci vortex. This should help you understand and learn how to trade with the golden spirals.

Hope this satisifies your question.

Just to put a cat amongst the pigeons here....

I seem to have come up with something that suggests that everyone is looking at Fibonacci the wrong way. What I do is consistent across timeframes, currency pairs and history - and it's all based on Fibonacci. If you are interested, read on....

Take a step back from your trading for a minute. How long have you been looking for answers, the perfect technique, the best system, the best mentor? When you first started trading, you probably thought it would be a good way to make money, to free up spare time for other things and to generate wealth while you slept. Is that what happened? If not, do you know why, or are you still looking for the special technique that’s going to make it all come true?

Most traders face this dilemma at some point—for good reason. We are all driven by our subconscious programming, and much of it is negative. At an early age, we take on certain beliefs about ourselves and about the way the world works, and these beliefs have a huge impact on how we live our lives. We come to certain subconscious conclusions about how worthy or deserving we are and we literally create circumstances that confirm these negative beliefs. Because this dynamic is largely subconscious, we don’t realize it’s happening, nor do we realize the impact it has on our ability to generate wealth, success or happiness. We may spend time researching techniques, reading books, saying positive affirmations and posting checklists on our monitors but, ironically, this can make matters worse, increasing the internal conflict between our subconscious programming and the way we know things really should be. And because we are unable to step outside ourselves to see what is really going on, we end up going around in circles, losing money, getting increasingly frustrated and gradually losing faith in our ability to ever create the kind of life we envisioned.

Triggering many of these issues is the fundamental problem of accurately determining where the currencies are going and how far they will move. The world of Forex is full of theories, techniques, ideas and systems, with everyone looking for a sure-fire, consistent way of getting it right. But no matter how good a system might be, and no matter how many other traders might be having success with a particular system, you cannot win at trading simply by doing what others are doing. If you do not address your particular subconscious issues, you will end up sabotaging your efforts at every turn.

Finding a good trading technique AND resolving your internal issues requires an understanding of underlying forces and patterns. There is an inherent rhythm to currency movement, just as there are certain patterns within us that keep repeating. I realized this essential truth when I discovered the Absolute Fibonacci framework—a revolutionary new way of trading that remains consistently valid, no matter how long you use it.

We know that the candlesticks move to patterns, so the patterns must exist before the candlesticks reach the points they reach. It therefore makes more sense to search for the pattern on the charts, rather than in the resulting currency movements. And this is what the Absolute Fibonacci Framework© shows. It is a framework that can be applied to charts permanently, revealing the fractal patterns by which all currencies move. It can be used in conjunction with any trading system and does not require special software. Those who use the framework discover that any successful systems that they have been using yield information that is consistent with, and confirmed by, the framework. That isn’t surprising, since most systems are striving to interpret the movement of candlesticks, rather than understanding that their destinations are pre-determined by an inherent pattern, which is conveyed by the framework. Elliott waves, for instance, are simply waves that form as a result of currencies meeting points of resistance on the framework, as can be seem in this example of the recent moves on the USD/CHF pair.

The Absolute Fibonacci Framework is completely consistent on any timeframe and any currency pair, and it offers advantages to novice and experienced traders alike. Novice traders can grow with their experience and stay reasonably within their comfort zone. Experienced traders can use the framework to plan position trades. Intermediate traders can establish the likely travel of, for instance, the GBP/USD on a Non Farm Payroll move – to the pip! :idea:

Attachments

• chf sample 3.jpg
    chf sample 3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 240
niceguy777 said:
I seem to have come up with something that suggests that everyone is looking at Fibonacci the wrong way. What I do is consistent across timeframes, currency pairs and history - and it's all based on Fibonacci. If you are interested, read on....

Take a step back from your trading for a minute. How long have you been looking for answers, the perfect technique, the best system, the best mentor? When you first started trading, you probably thought it would be a good way to make money, to free up spare time for other things and to generate wealth while you slept. Is that what happened? If not, do you know why, or are you still looking for the special technique that’s going to make it all come true?

Most traders face this dilemma at some point—for good reason. We are all driven by our subconscious programming, and much of it is negative. At an early age, we take on certain beliefs about ourselves and about the way the world works, and these beliefs have a huge impact on how we live our lives. We come to certain subconscious conclusions about how worthy or deserving we are and we literally create circumstances that confirm these negative beliefs. Because this dynamic is largely subconscious, we don’t realize it’s happening, nor do we realize the impact it has on our ability to generate wealth, success or happiness. We may spend time researching techniques, reading books, saying positive affirmations and posting checklists on our monitors but, ironically, this can make matters worse, increasing the internal conflict between our subconscious programming and the way we know things really should be. And because we are unable to step outside ourselves to see what is really going on, we end up going around in circles, losing money, getting increasingly frustrated and gradually losing faith in our ability to ever create the kind of life we envisioned.

Triggering many of these issues is the fundamental problem of accurately determining where the currencies are going and how far they will move. The world of Forex is full of theories, techniques, ideas and systems, with everyone looking for a sure-fire, consistent way of getting it right. But no matter how good a system might be, and no matter how many other traders might be having success with a particular system, you cannot win at trading simply by doing what others are doing. If you do not address your particular subconscious issues, you will end up sabotaging your efforts at every turn.

Finding a good trading technique AND resolving your internal issues requires an understanding of underlying forces and patterns. There is an inherent rhythm to currency movement, just as there are certain patterns within us that keep repeating. I realized this essential truth when I discovered the Absolute Fibonacci framework—a revolutionary new way of trading that remains consistently valid, no matter how long you use it.

We know that the candlesticks move to patterns, so the patterns must exist before the candlesticks reach the points they reach. It therefore makes more sense to search for the pattern on the charts, rather than in the resulting currency movements. And this is what the Absolute Fibonacci Framework© shows. It is a framework that can be applied to charts permanently, revealing the fractal patterns by which all currencies move. It can be used in conjunction with any trading system and does not require special software. Those who use the framework discover that any successful systems that they have been using yield information that is consistent with, and confirmed by, the framework. That isn’t surprising, since most systems are striving to interpret the movement of candlesticks, rather than understanding that their destinations are pre-determined by an inherent pattern, which is conveyed by the framework. Elliott waves, for instance, are simply waves that form as a result of currencies meeting points of resistance on the framework, as can be seem in this example of the recent moves on the USD/CHF pair.

The Absolute Fibonacci Framework is completely consistent on any timeframe and any currency pair, and it offers advantages to novice and experienced traders alike. Novice traders can grow with their experience and stay reasonably within their comfort zone. Experienced traders can use the framework to plan position trades. Intermediate traders can establish the likely travel of, for instance, the GBP/USD on a Non Farm Payroll move – to the pip! :idea:
So what are you selling the concept of fibonacci or your system??
and should you not have a pretty little tag that says VENDOR??