Proving that Fibonacci retracements have an edge...

Whilst I think fibs are to some extent and possibly even to a large extent self fulfilling

They can only be self fulfilling if people use them. In stocks I know that traders pay attention to R pivots. In FX, out of a) those that are in the market for speculative purposes b) those that can move the market, who uses a fib for their trades? Until I get an answer for that (and I'm not saying there isn't one) it's all just cloud patterns to me and the fib is a retrospective curve fitted representation of natural market interaction.

It may well be retrospective and curve fitted to you - but for those that use them in realtime they are a useful tool and for eg I for one went long earlier today as a result of the confluence of that 61.8% 6077 (average of 6074 and 6080 swings) - 6300, Daily S1 and the previous 4hr/1hr swing lo zone and the set-up that developed there.

I guess there is no emperical absolute to suggest how useful they are one way or the other and hence participants retain polarised views about them..

G/L

They can only be self fulfilling if people use them. In stocks I know that traders pay attention to R pivots. In FX, out of a) those that are in the market for speculative purposes b) those that can move the market, who uses a fib for their trades? Until I get an answer for that (and I'm not saying there isn't one) it's all just cloud patterns to me and the fib is a retrospective curve fitted representation of natural market interaction.

Last edited:
I guess there is no emperical absolute to suggest how useful they are one way or the other and hence participants retain polarised views about them..

G/L

Yeh TBF you trade and I'm a student :)

Still, out of those that can move the market, who uses a fib?

Fibonacci retracement levels are consistent. The issue is that most people have not developed the skill as to how to interpret what it is they are observing and/or, how to even use the tools correctly. Not a slam against anyone - just a fact.

Anyone who has taken the time to backtest will see that there are consistencies between Fib retracements/extensions and the size/length of a wave. Yes, there are market aberrations, but the consistency of levels reached is there.

Fibonacci patterns are not just some "made up" methodology. The entire universe is based upon the Golden Mean ratio of 618 in the cycle of formation and movement of matter. The formation of market waves as a response to repeatedly confirmed human emotional response patterns has been well established and proven. Elliott wave theory is also based on this principle.

However, again, most people do not understand how to identify wave formations and account for aberrations that occur (even the aberrations themselves follow Fibonacci and Elliott principles. (One can observe these aberrations in nature in what are referred to as "deformities")

Experienced and skilled traders understand that any indicator is simply a means to confirm what is being observed. Fibonacci retracement and extention targets used in conjunction with candle formations and Elliott wave rules and perhaps a calibrated oscillator will increase the potential of making a winning trade decision.

Some traders say they don't bother with using Fibonacci tools. But that is only because they have, by whatever means, developed an "eye" to spot the natural Fibonacci retracement levels and Wave patterns without using them.

A book that explains it well is "Fibonacci Ratios and Pattern Recognition" by: Larry Pesavento there might be a free PDF around if you look.

Look sometimes they work, sometimes they don't

If you are looking at Fib ratios, then it would make sense looking at other geometrical levels - such as the SQUARE, CUBE, GOLDEN RECTANGLES etc all of which can be derived from the mathematics of the Great Pyramid

By doing this you then have a lot of lines on your chart - but you'll never know which one is going to stop a retracement - sometimes you'll get an exact hit and sometimes it will slightly miss - I've spent 1000's of hours researching over the past 15 years!

The same applies with TIME levels too

There is absolutely no doubt the markets MOVE and WORK to GEOMETRICAL ratio's and if you do the basics with a profit to risk ratio of 3:1 then over time trading those levels should prove profitably

So "IF" the markets are BUILDING or WORKING out to some GEOMETRICAL form, how do you KNOW where you are in the structure? The answer is you simply do not

BUT................................................

Sometimes you can make some pretty outstanding calls

This is the SP500 Index up to 2022 - I was calling for a TOP (I don't publish my work so you'll have to accept the date of the charts and reasoning)

Prediction RED BOX for BOTH TIME & PRICE levels - YELLOW box on chart top left = prediction date I published the chart to a friend

676.JPG

The above was based on the following - details in/on the charts

756.JPG

781.JPG

920.JPG

The LOW PRICE turned into TIME

945.JPG

Backing up this theory we also had the DJIA PRICE LOW in 2009 converting into FIBONACCI TIME multiplications of the low price!

841.JPG

We also had alternative time cycle (far left of the pic) suggesting a top/high from STATIC time cycles

1211.JPG

There was also Gann angles suggesting a top

720 is a geometrical number being 2 x 360 degrees of the circle - Gann often talked about 360 degrees and its multiples

1121.JPG

Oh be in no doubt that those Gann Angle lines are actually PLANETARY lines - Gann disguised the true meaning of his angles (which is why you can't get his angles to work properly on your charts) - Remember we are an Insignificant part of the Universe, it ain't there for fun or no reason

1119.JPG

Anyway - 1902% / 190.2% / 19.02% / 1.902% etc is the GEOMETRICAL RATIO of a GOLDEN RECTANGLE (which is why we sometimes get Fibonacci ratios seen)

2828% / 282.8% / 28.28% / 2.828% etc is the GEOMETRICAL RATIO of the SQUARE (which is why you often see 50% ratio levels)

I can understand if you get overwhelmed by all this - It has taken me years to understand it all and I am still learning!

Look at the SP500 2009 LOW PRICE of 666.79 points

WHY did it stop there?

Well from the 2007 high it fell 57.69% - prove it to yourself

57.7% is a ratio of the CUBE - it is also Tan30 which is the TANGENT of a circle @ 30 degrees

GEOMETRY GEOMETRY GEOMETRY

and if you are not mesmerised by the fact that in 1962 the SP500 KNEW to grow @ 6.666 pts per month, which would YEARS later transpire into a high of the market and the price of 666 pts would be hit by a geometrical angle off the 6.666pts per month of 1962 then nothing will

So to answer this question - that is why sometimes Fib levels show up and sometimes why they don't - it ALL depends upon what GEOMETRICAL STRUCTURE is being built by the market