ES EMINI Trading - The gap and others

I've done a bit of research and gaps occur:-

On S&P 500 EOD 24 times in the last 300 trading days - 19 up and 5 down
On S&P 500 hourly in the last 300 trading hours ( hours of little or no movement not included) = only 5, 2 up and 3 down

I'm not sure of these calcs...When you look at the sp500 emini data it will really depend on what the open is defined as and what the close is defined as. In general, in my opinion, its best to look at the open as 930 am eastern us, that's when nyse opens, and the close for the futures is at 415 pm eastern us time, 15 minutes after nyse closes. the es futures close for 15 minutes then they the "reopen" at 430 eastern us time...it really depends on what actual time the open and close data you are using is derived from...if you use nyse trading hours, then the open/close gaps in the futures occur alot more than your calculations...

chris

staying out of the trade when there is significant news sounds good..so you look for a congested, trading range bound market, with flat 20ma on whatever time scale u use and then exit at yesterday close...do u look for a certain minimum gap size to play and what kind of stop do u use..if u dont mind my asking...

chris

The essence of the gap mechanism was look for a 1-4pt range for the gap, not constrained by what looks like institutional buying/selling/positioning and no significant news prior to open. Avoid quarterly option expiration Friday's and for a period I avoided monday's but then ignored that 3 months in.

The 20day MA is Pat's idea which I will adopt when I start to incorporate the strategy into my trading again. Right now, gap is on hold until I think things look suitable again.

I'm not sure of these calcs...When you look at the sp500 emini data it will really depend on what the open is defined as and what the close is defined as. In general, in my opinion, its best to look at the open as 930 am eastern us, that's when nyse opens, and the close for the futures is at 415 pm eastern us time, 15 minutes after nyse closes. the es futures close for 15 minutes then they the "reopen" at 430 eastern us time...it really depends on what actual time the open and close data you are using is derived from...if you use nyse trading hours, then the open/close gaps in the futures occur alot more than your calculations...

chris

I am using Yahoo's free data for EOD, which is the S&P actual figure.
True the future figures are different and can swing quicker between up & down

Have any of you tried trading gaps above/below the prior day high or low...this is larry williams oops trade..if so...any success with it?

I have never heard of the oops trade...

The oops trade was popularized by Larry Williams, essentially the trade tries to capitalize on a gap opening above yesterdays high or below yesterdays low. from what i understand of it, yesterdays high or low is not the globex high low but rather the high low established during nyse hours, when i looked at it I used the high low from 930-415 pm est...

The essence of the gap mechanism was look for a 1-4pt range for the gap, not constrained by what looks like institutional buying/selling/positioning and no significant news prior to open. Avoid quarterly option expiration Friday's and for a period I avoided monday's but then ignored that 3 months in.

The 20day MA is Pat's idea which I will adopt when I start to incorporate the strategy into my trading again. Right now, gap is on hold until I think things look suitable again.

have you considered or already use some kind of trending indicator like adx...perhaps low adx situations may be better to play this kind of trade?

I am trading emini future s&p500,but i am really confused about the tax on that .i have account with interactive brokers and my money is in pound ,however my profit is in dollar.i really appreciate if anyone you help me on this matter.

I am trading emini future s&p500,but i am really confused about the tax on that .i have account with interactive brokers and my money is in pound ,however my profit is in dollar.i really appreciate if anyone you help me on this matter.

Probably depends on which country you live in

Hi,My name is mana.i am trading ES as well and use TICK,VIX,MACD and volume and RIS.I am wondering if you would like to exchange our skills on EStrading.My email address is, [email protected].
Best Wishes,
Mana

Hi,could you please explain to me how do you predict price movement after the gap.Ireally appreciate your help.
mana

Initially the plan was to share my entries as soon as I get a fill but the the open is too hectic for me and I can't find a piece of mind to do so. My apologies for that.

PRE Market showed a "top" but due to my PRE Market's experience(book manipulation) I decided to stay out and wait for the open. My initial order was short @1020.75... no fill on this one.damn... I was thinking to myself and was expecting the price to head south without me and guess what? it started...as if I am watching ticks running away but... NO CHASING!You know what? you win some, you lose some and you miss some. face it, it's part of this business.
Though the price started heading south, the GAP wasn't closed. I placed another sell order @1120.25, got filled around 10am for a quick profit of 2points.
Could you share with me what you look for premarket that might keep you out of a gap trade? I read that "high premarket volume" is a warning, but what is "high premarket volume" in the ES? Also, do you know where I can get educated on how to use T&S?
Thanks

First and foremost, I use the gap as a gauge and do not always follow it.
Premarket may show a beginning, end or an in between cycle mode. A graphical representation of a commodity can be interpreted in different ways. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. T&S helps me shape the graph.

I trade when the market is open and (reach my profit or reached my loss or feeling beaten). In any case, high/low premarket volume isn't a factor for me.

I would recommend using SIM mode.

So how are you guys doing? How is trading coming along?

I'm doing great! Working on getting set targets and stops. I like the idea of taking small risks, but have tried researching if bigger stops could mean more winners. I'm also trying to figure out how to enter using time and sales. A lot of gappers just enter at the open, but I think it is probably more efficient to time entry within the first few minutes. How long have you been gap trading? Do you have any resources or advice to those of us fairly new at this?

Thanks--I like your posts!

I apologize for the delayed response. I wouldn't consider myself as a gapper but I do use the previous close as a price mark on my charts.

I don't want to go making a thread about this, but can anyone please answer my questions below:

With emini futures such as the emini s&p 500 is the current price also known as the index point. For instance if you look at the S&P 500 on google finance it's right now trading at 1078.75, is that figure the point or $ price?

I read that the points go up in 0.25 point increments known as a tick, so the .75 in the 1078.75 is 3 ticks, right?

I read that to trade on the emini s&p 500 the contracts are valued at $50 x the futures price. So knowing that would it be $50 x 1078.75?

If it's $50 x 1078.75 then that comes to = $53,937.50 can a day trader get a margin account to cover the cost to purchase that 1 contract with say $500 deposited?

Sorry for all the questions

Any help much appreciated

Many thanks in advance

to sopodo

May I suggest you use a spread better if you want to keep costs to a minimum. About
$500 deposit and $1 a point to bet ( £200 and £1 ). They do stops, charts etc.

Last edited: