Edward Tate

More bad news to depress myself/fellow NMM investors with? According to the New Millenium website, their auditor is one Steven Durland of Palm Beach, Florida. A quick search of google for Steven Durland Auditor throws up the March 2002 Activity Review of the North Carolina State Board of Certified Public Accountant Examiners (www.cpaboard.state.nc.us/newsletters/4-2002.pdf) which contains, under the worryingly titled section 'Disciplinary Actions' the following statement. I am not sure I understand the most of it, but the general tone does not sound too reassuring.

Stephen H. Durland #17631
Palm Beach, FL 03/22/02
THIS CAUSE, coming before the Board
at its offices at 1101 Oberlin Road, Raleigh,
Wake County, North Carolina,
with a quorum present. Pursuant to
NCGS 150B-41 and 150B-22, the Board
and Respondent stipulate the following
Findings:
1. Respondent is the holder of North
Carolina certificate number 17631 as a
Certified Public Accountant.
2. Respondent, as the owner and responsible
party in charge, failed to have
employee payroll taxes paid on behalf
of his firm for the period covering March
31, 1996, through September 30, 1998,
totaling $235,529.97.
3. In February of 2001, the Internal
Revenue Service (IRS) placed a lien
against Respondent’s firm in the amount
of $295,520.00.
4. As of August 30, 2001, Respondent’s
firm has paid $98,121.96 to the IRS
against the lien.
5. Respondent wishes to resolve this
matter by consent and agrees that the
Board staff and counsel may discuss
this Order with the Board ex parte,
whether or not the Board accepts this
Order as written.
BASED UPON THE FOREGOING, the
Board makes the following Conclusions
of Law:
1. Respondent is subject to the provisions
of Chapter 93 of the North Carolina
General Statutes (NCGS) and
Title 21, Chapter 8 of the North Carolina
Administrative Code (NCAC), including
the Rules of Professional Ethics and
Conduct promulgated and adopted
therein by the Board.
2. Respondent’s actions as set out above
constitute violations of NCGS 93-12(9)e
and 21 NCAC 8N .0201, .0203(b)(1),
.0204(c), .0207, and .0208(b).
BASED ON THE FOREGOING and in
lieu of further proceedings under
21 NCAC Chapter 8C, the Board and
Respondent agree to the following Order:
1. Respondent is censured.
2. Respondent’s certificate is suspended
for at least three (3) years and until
Respondent causes the tax lien placed
by the IRS against Respondent’s firm to
be satisfied.

The North Carolina judgement posted by ndbennet means (i) Durland has had a judgment debt (UK equivalent = CCJ) of $235K entered against him, which he had not satisfied by Aug. 2002, (ii) Durland was barred from practising as a Certified Accountant in North Carolina for at least three years from 22nd March 2002. His solution : move to Florida (one disadvantage of the Federal system is that you can be licensed to practise in one State even if barred in another : in the UK he wouldn't be able to practise anywhere).

Resolution

I too am probably a mug but would like to address the situatkion with a proper investigation and then to decide on appropriate action.
Please let me know if you would like to meet me and discuss.

Jayemel. (Harrow)

resolutions said:
I have parted with money on a quest oil deal. i was contacted by edward tate an paid the funds direct to the quest oil bank account in the US. 3 weeks and no share certificates. Quest are an over the counter NASDAQ stock and I can track the price OK.

i wonder if i have been a mug? i think so, although this is my first trade with them i reserve judgement.

They now want to sell me new millenium medical - an IPO which they claim will happen in April?

Anyone wiser than I?

Thanks

Would anybody care to get together to discuss possible means of retrieving money spent, albeit foolishly(with hindsight!) ? OR are we mistaken and relatively safe?
Jayemel.

ndbennett said:
More bad news to depress myself/fellow NMM investors with? According to the New Millenium website, their auditor is one Steven Durland of Palm Beach, Florida. A quick search of google for Steven Durland Auditor throws up the March 2002 Activity Review of the North Carolina State Board of Certified Public Accountant Examiners (www.cpaboard.state.nc.us/newsletters/4-2002.pdf) which contains, under the worryingly titled section 'Disciplinary Actions' the following statement. I am not sure I understand the most of it, but the general tone does not sound too reassuring.

Stephen H. Durland #17631
Palm Beach, FL 03/22/02
THIS CAUSE, coming before the Board
at its offices at 1101 Oberlin Road, Raleigh,
Wake County, North Carolina,
with a quorum present. Pursuant to
NCGS 150B-41 and 150B-22, the Board
and Respondent stipulate the following
Findings:
1. Respondent is the holder of North
Carolina certificate number 17631 as a
Certified Public Accountant.
2. Respondent, as the owner and responsible
party in charge, failed to have
employee payroll taxes paid on behalf
of his firm for the period covering March
31, 1996, through September 30, 1998,
totaling $235,529.97.
3. In February of 2001, the Internal
Revenue Service (IRS) placed a lien
against Respondent’s firm in the amount
of $295,520.00.
4. As of August 30, 2001, Respondent’s
firm has paid $98,121.96 to the IRS
against the lien.
5. Respondent wishes to resolve this
matter by consent and agrees that the
Board staff and counsel may discuss
this Order with the Board ex parte,
whether or not the Board accepts this
Order as written.
BASED UPON THE FOREGOING, the
Board makes the following Conclusions
of Law:
1. Respondent is subject to the provisions
of Chapter 93 of the North Carolina
General Statutes (NCGS) and
Title 21, Chapter 8 of the North Carolina
Administrative Code (NCAC), including
the Rules of Professional Ethics and
Conduct promulgated and adopted
therein by the Board.
2. Respondent’s actions as set out above
constitute violations of NCGS 93-12(9)e
and 21 NCAC 8N .0201, .0203(b)(1),
.0204(c), .0207, and .0208(b).
BASED ON THE FOREGOING and in
lieu of further proceedings under
21 NCAC Chapter 8C, the Board and
Respondent agree to the following Order:
1. Respondent is censured.
2. Respondent’s certificate is suspended
for at least three (3) years and until
Respondent causes the tax lien placed
by the IRS against Respondent’s firm to
be satisfied.

and a search for their lawyers - a one Donald Mintmire of Palm Beach, brings up this......

FLORIDA
Scam-linked lawyer could face new charge . . Federal prosecutors said Friday they will ask a grand jury next month to charge a Palm Beach lawyer who represented a controversial Stuart-based citrus export business with a new count of obstruction of justice. . . . A federal grand jury indicted Donald Mintmire, 59, in April on a charge of obstructing an investigation into the sale of stock of Clements Golden Phoenix Enterprises, a Treasure Coast company that created a buzz in 1998 with its promise to export fresh Florida citrus to China . . . Investors say they lost thousands when the plan never took shape. . . . During a brief court hearing Friday, Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark Johnson said he plans to seek a new grand jury indictment in early July for an additional charge of obstruction against Mintmire

A little more light on New Millenium Medical. Today I was contacted by a Paul Donnerty (I think) an American working for a firm called Advantage. He is offering me 5,000 share lots at $5.50 per share in NMM. Apparently the IPO is planned for April 2005. I also bought share in Quest Oil from Advantage and as yet have not received a share certificate.

Has anybody else been contacted by Advantage?

have you received your share certificate.i eventually had one sent but the broker i use doesn`t deal in this market.do you know if they are genuine certificates or have i just burnt 2.5k

advantage

Guba said:
A little more light on New Millenium Medical. Today I was contacted by a Paul Donnerty (I think) an American working for a firm called Advantage. He is offering me 5,000 share lots at $5.50 per share in NMM. Apparently the IPO is planned for April 2005. I also bought share in Quest Oil from Advantage and as yet have not received a share certificate.

Has anybody else been contacted by Advantage?

I was contacted on Thursday 7th Jan by someone from Advantage who said he was calling fron Geneva, I was v busy at the time and cut him off, but he was trying to push a floatation.
Doug.

New Millenium

alibee said:
have you received your share certificate.i eventually had one sent but the broker i use doesn`t deal in this market.do you know if they are genuine certificates or have i just burnt 2.5k

Yes, I did receive Share Certificate but I remain very uneasy. I would welcome the chance to meet with you anywhere London or Harrow area so that we can update and discuss any possible action. Jayemel.

I was contacted last Friday by Advantage who were very pushy about the NMM IPO. I basically told them that I reckoned they were running a scam, especially as NMM has been offered as an IPO a few times in the past and that from an initial date of April they were planning on buying shares on Friday?!

The guy told me I'd come to my senses as he hung up. Later that afternoon the customer relations/compliance dept of Advantage called me. I repeated by claim and said that I reckon the Quest oil money was lost. They said I'd receive my certificate by the end of the month (I'm ot waiting with baited breath) and would no longer have to deal with Advantage.

So, I think by reading this thread I've stopped being duped into buying NMM shares.

As to what can be done? Not sure but certainly makong sure that informations is published should help others to avoid these situations.

brian leighton

warregui said:
Has anyone any experience of dealing with Edward Tate? They are ostensibly based in Luxembourg.
I have boug shares in new millenium medical from them.

Brian (from glasgow Scotland).

Brian Leighton

jayemel said:
I too am probably a mug but would like to address the situatkion with a proper investigation and then to decide on appropriate action.
Please let me know if you would like to meet me and discuss.

Jayemel. (Harrow)

Hi
I also have bought shares in new millenium medical from edward tait I would also appreciat e
Any information you had on them I did get a share certificate from edward tait.
But i do not know when i will be able to trade them.
My email address is [email protected]
i would appreciate your help in this matter.
thanks Brian.

Definitely a scam! Check out the following link - Edward Tate and New Millenium Medical both listed.

http://www.evid.com.au/current.html

"WARNING: Recently there has been an increase in small New York brokerage firms, who were previously active NASD registered firms, being bought by offshore concerns to perpetrate similar sales scheme as those firms mentioned below. The new approach is for unlicensed brokerage firms to steal the identity and license numbers of legitimate brokerage firms but provide a fake website or fake contact address to lure unsuspecting people. The pitch is that they need no money upfront. However, they usually come back later to ask for a fee to lift the restriction off your shares, an escrow security deposit, or even a bond supposedly required by the SEC. They are attempting to lure out several more thousand dollars from victims."

I have also been contacted about New Millenium Medical in this case it was from a guy named Kieron Walsh from Advantage. He said he was based in Germany and gave a phone number 0870 712 0555. I was suspicious but he has called back a couple of times hoping to get me to part with $5,500.00.
His calls were followed up by an alleged accountant of theirs named Alistair Buchanan. The final beneficiary bank was given as SKNA national bank Ltd.Basseterre. St. Kitts.
Credit final beneficiary account in name of Amgrove Finance Ltd. no140002.
As far as i am concerned this is a classic scam , i am keeping well away from it.

I was called by Kieron Walsh again today - for the last time!
I asked him about Stephen Durland - NMM's auditor whose certificate was suspended for 3 years in March 2002 in North Carolina. I asked him about Donald Mintmire - NMM's agent/legal adviser who was indicted by a federal court for obstruction of justice. He 'claimed' to know nothing about them.
New Millenium Medical changed their name in October 2003 from New Millenium Packaging - so it would seem that they have no expertise in the medical field and if they have a product at all it's probably one you can buy for next to nothing in any chemist. Their website is evidently just a front for an enormous scam.
I asked Kieron Walsh for his financial services reference number (which he must have to practice legally) and he said he didn't have it to hand. I told him that I didn't expect that he would - he then said 'I think we both know where this conversation is going' and hung up.
I have reported Advantage to the FSA - hopefully they can bring some pressure to bear but I'm not sure what powers they have over people that operate from outside the UK. The most important thing is to inform the public of the nature of these scams - TV's Watchdog perhaps.
My advice - keep well away from anyone contacting with an offer to buy shares in something that sounds too good to be true. If you want to buy shares choose a well known and respectable broker - one that you can trade with by phone or an online sharedealing organisation like the one I use www.iii.co.uk, or just deal through your bank. Most of all - DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH - don't trust anyone else with your money and don't buy shares at all with money that you can't afford to lose.

Hi, does anyone have any prospectus or NMM official documents available?

The reason I ask is that, in a fit of desperation, I contacted some Florida newspapers regarding Mintmire and Durland. I have since been contacted by a reporter who promised to take an objective look at the situation with NMM and Mintmire, whose ongoing case regarding Golden Phoenix he is also looking at due to the proceedings having begun.

The reporter has asked if I have any NMM issued information other than what was available on the website and, to my embaressment, I have nothing. Can anyone else supply anything?

I will keep the board notified if anything turns up from the reporter.

Cheers,
ndb.

One of the reasons the whole NMM thing looks like a scam is that they are unwilling or unable to provide any information. I was offered some accounts in French, but when I said fine, I'm fluent in French, the guy said he wasn't sure he could get them after all!

There is no prospectus, there are no accounts, the Florida State webiste says NMM is in administration, the lawyers and accountants are bent - glad I said no.

OK - if no-one has any information on NMM, what about any successful outcomes from transactions with any of the brokers in question, Kensington Price, Edward Tate etc?

Look again at what I posted once before - I think it highly unlikely, I'm sorry to say, that anyone will gain a successful outcome if they've invested in shares through Kensington Price, Edward Tate, Advantage or any other of these unlicensed brokers. They will be extremely difficult to bring to justice since they operate outside of the UK - and if they get the slightest whiff of any authorities being onto them they'll move on and set up somewhere else under a different name. It's a scam they can work from anywhere. I'm afraid it's very much a case of caveat emptor - let the buyer beware.

http://www.evid.com.au/current.html

"WARNING: Recently there has been an increase in small New York brokerage firms, who were previously active NASD registered firms, being bought by offshore concerns to perpetrate similar sales scheme as those firms mentioned below. The new approach is for unlicensed brokerage firms to steal the identity and license numbers of legitimate brokerage firms but provide a fake website or fake contact address to lure unsuspecting people. The pitch is that they need no money upfront. However, they usually come back later to ask for a fee to lift the restriction off your shares, an escrow security deposit, or even a bond supposedly required by the SEC. They are attempting to lure out several more thousand dollars from victims."