Driver Error

FTSE Beater

Experienced member
Hi All

I've got a problem with one of the drivers on my computer. I don't know which one as the Microsoft error report can't pin point it.
I can't use the system restore because I needed to turn it off to get rid of the Mysearch virus.

Any idea how I can find the culprit, as the computer crashes at random points - whether their is a program running or not.
blueScreen_D.gif

While I'm at it, I've just got the latest MS updates, and one of them brings me to the windows log-in screen. It never used to happen, as I'm the only one to use this computer, and I'm the only one with a user account. Any idea how to automatically log me in. :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated

To see your drivers Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager, Go to the top View/Show Hidden Devices. The ones you're looking for have a red x next to them.

write down the error number when you get the BSOD and we can look it up

FTSE Beater said:
While I'm at it, I've just got the latest MS updates, and one of them brings me to the windows log-in screen. It never used to happen, as I'm the only one to use this computer, and I'm the only one with a user account. Any idea how to automatically log me in.
Control Panel/User Account/Change the way users log in/un-check 'Welcome Screen'

oatman said:
write down the error number when you get the BSOD and we can look it up
Hi Oatman

I've got the list up of non-plug and play drivers and there is no Red x. The only one with anything is a yellow "!" - This one is called ASPI32. Under the settings though, it says it has stopped, so maybe it jumps in to life to kill :confused:

---------------------------------------

Hi GirlPower

That's better, but it still asks me for a password, that I've never had to do before. :cry:

FTSE Beater said:
That's better, but it still asks me for a password, that I've never had to do before.
Control Panel/User Accounts/Change an Account/Delete password

Hi Oatman

That hasn't got it I'm afraid. I've updated the driver as microsoft suggested, the correct version has been installed, and it still throws a wobbler
angryfire.gif

Any other thoughts would be much appricated.

---------------------------------

Hi GirlPower

I haven't got a delete password option. I have a create password option, which probably means it's supposed to do what it is. ah well Win some, lose some, draw the rest :rolleyes:

Mark,

Try the following:

1) Select Control panel and select "User Accounts"

2) Then select "Change an Account"

3) Select the "Administrator Account"

4) Click on the account to change

You should get a screen as shown which should allow you to have the option to remove the password.

I am not sure how to solve your other problem

Let me know how you get on.

Paul

Attachments

• Users.gif
    Users.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 414
Hi All

Ok, things have moved on, solving one problem and creating another. It seems the computer was crashing because Norton AntiVirus was running in the background. How I don't know.
To find this out though, I had to re-install windows XP. This has created a number of problems:

My display driver / multi-monitor has gone up the wall: I can't work out which card is in there - I remember it being a SiS315/315E, but when I load the driver for that I get the yellow exclamation mark in device manager. I've tried updating the driver, but that doesn't fix it - it says I already have the latest one :rolleyes:
How would I figure out what card I'm running? (I should then be able to figure out which driver to install). I've run a diagnostics report and got the attached file, and I've taken the card out of the computer, and that is of no help at all. Maybe I need to update the BIOS - does anyone know what that means?

Also, my Internet explorer has slowed down when scrolling down pages. Very very annoying, but it seems to be the only program effected.

Any help would be much appreciated on this.

-------------------------------------------

Hi Paul

Unfortunately I haven't got that option, only create an account but thanks for the attachment :cool:

Attachments

• 020804.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 371
Have you got Norton firewall as well as the anti-virus? The firewall has caused problems on two of my computers and it took me ages to find out that was the source of the problem.

Hi FTSEBeater,

Does this help: http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/sis315.html

RU running on Dell, by any chance? The reason I'm asking you about this is because they normally whitelable the MB and so you don't really know what MB you've actually got in your machine? You'll need to know this information to get the updates to the BIOS.

IMO and separately: you should always install recovery console because this will mostly allow you to sort these issues out - I'm sure I posted something along these lines on another thread over the w/e?

Happy for you to PM me if you want more info or stuff? :)

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

Hi Racer

I did have norton firewall running - that could well have been the problem. Fancy an antivirus company creating a bug :mad:

-------------------------

Hi Mayfly

My computer was custom built for me by Chartman, over 2 years ago. CM - any ideas what card you put in it ;)
I do normally run System restore on the computer, but to sort out my old problem, I had to have it switched off, hence the major problems. To top it off, it cleared my old restore points when I re-installed it :rolleyes:

That link you've given me is the driver I've tried to install and it comes up and says "the system cannot detect the device, please confirm that the device is configured properly and then restart the setup program" - my thinking is I can't configure it until it runs that program, catch 22

FTSE Beater, I have had to create a new user on each computer to get my settings sorted out when the firewall caused a problem and had to do all the checking with using that new one. Even had to go to DOS at one stage!
I will never use Norton again!

Hi FTSEBeater,

Recovery console has nothing to do with restore or restore points. It’s basically a utility program that let you “use basic commands to identify and locate problem drivers and files. In addition, you must be an administrator to use the Recovery Console.”

I have it installed as a start option on my machines and here’s the link to a post I made about similar problem (well, maybe?) over the weekend: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?p=119839#post119839

A couple of ideas for you to try:

Have you tried uninstalling the driver via Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Display Adapters/Properties/etc.? Did CM give you a CD with the drivers on originally?

Have you tried windows update to look for a new driver – it’s always worth a scout?

Belarc Advisor will tell you what you got installed on your machine. You can get it here: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

PS. I'm amazed that CM didn't flog you a collect and return warranty? :)

FTSE Beater, if you have had a virus then that may have caused a problem with norton firewall..

When or if you can log in that is, is ccApp.exe running and on 99% PC usage?

Hi Mayfly

Ah ha. Recovery console. I've run that and it is all fine :cool:
I'm sure CM did give me the driver CD, but I can't for the life of me find it :eek:

Belarc advisor did come up with some interesting things. Under display it has "none detected" This worries me. :confused:
Also there are a lot of MS hotfixs for me to install

----------------------------------

Hi Racer

Nothing was draining the CPU, normally at 2-3%.

You should install your critical updates before trying anything else.
It will probably solve a lot of problems.

Hi FTSE Beater

OK, I suggest that you print out the audit and remove all the Hotfixes that failed on verification and then run through Windows Update again – making sure that you're fully up-to-date and that all the “new” hotfixs have passed verification before you go on to do anything else? :)

Next, go here: http://download.sis.com/ and run the utility on the top right hand side of the page that’s supposed to identify your product: what this means is that it should identify the chipset that you’re running on your machine/card. Hopefully, this will be successful and you’ll be able to identify the driver(s) you need to download from the link I’ve given you. If not, you’ll have to use the feedback form, which you’ll find just under the “identify your product” form – basically, all the stuff you need is all on the same page - or at least, it should be?

Otherwise, if this doesn’t do the business for you, I suggest you buy a new graphics card. It'll be cheaper in the long run than spending any more of your time on trying to resolve this issue, IMO?

HTH :)

Cheers

Mayfly

Just seen this..... The SIS 315 dual head will not work with windows drivers- there's a bug!!!!! I tried it once and had to do a system restore. Yes I did give you the CD..... Unfortunately SIS web site will not provide drivers as they are a chip manufacturer only. I'll see if I've still got a CD for it. I did keep a big stock CD's when I sold the shop.
Also check that the card has not come out of its slot i.e. it's pushed fully home ( side off the case job).
There is a useful utility to identify all chipset stuff in a PC It's called PCI Tree- do a search on google...........

http://www.pcitree.de/

for the lazy....