Driver Error

Hi All

Thanks to all those who have offered help on this issue. It seems I'm finally putting the issue to bed. TOUCH WOOD

What did it was clearing the Norton Antivirus off, + re-installing windows updates with the hotfix's and now CM seems to have cleared up the dual monitor mystery.

Thanks again peeps.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi CM

ah ha. That explains everything. I know you gave me the disk, but I've turned the study upside-down and I still can't find it. :mad:
If you have a copy of the driver, that would put the final piece in the jigsaw :cool:

Out of interest, it wouldn't be the CD with SoftDriverInstallation 3D graphics accelerator on it would it? If it is I could be in more trouble as that driver says "The VGA device does not exist" :confused:

do you get this in device manager, showing sis315? If so, that CD is the right one. Check the cd has the following directories:-
ATI
DirectX
Sis315
Trident

If so, then you have the right CD. This is what is on my machine.
The driver version is 5.1.2001.0 DONT UPGRADE IT

Try this one

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/sis315.html

or here, half way down the page NOT the one at the top - AGP315

http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/companies/4/955.htm

or here

http://drivers.soft32.com/driver/download-Inno_3D_SiS_315_315E-23745.html

Attachments

• Image1.gif
    Image1.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 271
LOL Oatman

I've got everything every written :cheesy:
It didn't help much, it just confirmed it was a SiS in there.

Hi CM

I get the following screen.

DeviceMan.PNG

No display adaptor there :confused:
When I run the first link you gave me, it says: "The system cannot detect the device. Please confirm that the device is configured properly and then restart the program"

The 2nd link creates a folder with the following files SiS740.bin, sisgl.dll, sisgr.cat, sisgr.inf, sisgrp.sys, sisgrv.dll. No idea what to do with that lot :eek:

The 3rd link says "No VGA devices exist"

Perhaps you have a built in onboard display adapter ? i.e. its built into the motherboard, rather than fits into a pci slot, comprendo, if not don't worry at least somethings working , you can try (control panel,admin tools) computer management, click on action and then again on scan for hardware changes?, see if that has any effect, you certainly have some interesting / challenging pc problems........

Hi Oatman

That is the view with hidden devices.

Hi CM

I don't know :eek:

Hi Wheezergeezer

I don't think it's built in. When everything was running properly, Display Adapter was showing up on the list.
I've tried scanning for new hardware but nothing comes up :eek:

Run PCI Tree. This will tell you every PCI device you have, including the MB chipset... and it includes AGP devices ( the display adapter)

Installation:
make sure that the following files are in the same directory as pcitree.exe:
gbhlp.dll
hlp.vxd
(pcidevs.txt) if present VIDs and DIDs are taken from this list
Win NT/2000 : hlp.sys must be copied to \WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS directory.
Windows XP: hlp.sys must be copied to \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS directory

Attachments

• pcitree.zip
    274.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Image1.gif
    Image1.gif
    155 KB · Views: 239
Hiya CM

Now things get even more bizarre. If I'm reading the report right, I have a SiS 325 chip in there. Everything else so far has told me it's a 315 :confused:
Have I read it right?

Attachments

• Report.txt
    16.6 KB · Views: 452
Yes u read it right. It is a dual head, isn't it? Maybe the chipset was the next version on, but they still called the drivers 315..... do a google search for sis 325... or tell me what the 6 digit code is on the Video card - on the little white sticker I put on...

Hiya CM

Yes, It's a dual head.
I did a google search and it came up with nothing useful. The 6 digit code is 315B2C

Hope this means something to you ;)

Auto Logon

FTSE Beater

You mentioned that you had a 'logon' screen and wanted to logon automatically.

Try this, it should do the trick:

Obtain and install this: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/software/xppowertoys.
Open TweakUI (it's in Start -> Programs -> Powertoys for Windows XP).
Expand the Logon branch, and click Autologon.
Turn on the Log on automatically at system startup option, type your username and password, and click Ok.

Hope this helps.

BOL

Hi CM

That zipped file brings up the following files, which I don't know what to do with :eek:

SiS740.bin,
sisgl.dll,
sisgr.cat,
sisgr.inf,
sisgrp.sys,
sisgrv.dll

Hi Starspacer

THAT'S THE PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!! :p

FTSE Beater said:
Hi CM

That zipped file brings up the following files, which I don't know what to do with :eek:

SiS740.bin,
sisgl.dll,
sisgr.cat,
sisgr.inf,
sisgrp.sys,
sisgrv.dll

Normally, you would select the display adapter, select "update driver" and point to this folder.
Trouble is, your control panel doesn't show a display adapter.... this is going nowhere...