Dow Intraday charts 02/09 - 05/09

ChartMan

Legendary member
Mmmmmm. Nice breakout from the channel. You should have seen it coming when the dips failed to make channel support and forming a support slope change . I think there is a message here.

Attachments

• dow 02-09-03 10.gif
    dow 02-09-03 10.gif
    31.9 KB · Views: 591
What can I say? Short, long, short, long loadsa points. It's late so no time to look at much tonight. Tricky dip at 19:00 and Inv H&S to save the day.

Attachments

• dow 02-09-03 1.gif
    dow 02-09-03 1.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 593
The channel resistance support lines have now been re-drawn. It's not that the revious ones were wrong- they were a best guess. Now these new lines are a 'better' guess. They are bettter because they they now form much closer parallel lines and they have the same depth as the previous trend. This emphasises that the current move is a continuation.The channel has already broken and will either continue to find support at the old resistance line. OR it will be a false breakout. Either way this line is the defining line for support.It's doubly important as the breakout was on the previous horizontal resistance and the upslope resistance line intersection at 9500.

Attachments

• dow 03-09-03 10.gif
    dow 03-09-03 10.gif
    29.3 KB · Views: 558
A tricky day to trade with multiple nd tops to confuse the issue. Basically a sideways day and full of potential whipsaws for the unwary.... Looking at the 2 min charts. it has the distinct look of a rolling top.... so is this another top? 9532 short 9600 long it is.

Attachments

• dow 03-09-03 1.gif
    dow 03-09-03 1.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 553
CM, given your comment about the tricky-ness of the day ( and I lost out, shorting on what I thought was a H&S, only to see the price bounce right off the 100MA and take out my stop....doh :rolleyes: ), is my analysis wrong here? I thought the flags traded pretty much to targets? The cash chart normally shows things a bit clearer, but this appears a bit clearer today (this isnt the whole day, of course)

Attachments

• analysis.gif
    analysis.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
That futs. chart is quite clear for a change.! Bull flag 2 failed target by 7 points ( 9590) , Bull flag 3 failed totally...... It WAS a strange day for TA.

A rolling top is one of the classic DOW formations at a top. ( one of many) It resembles the shape of the top of an umbrella and you can track it on the 10 min charts and predict the drop off point where it goes into free fall or not, as the case may be. Lets's see what tonight turns up....

Looks like the rolling top failed at around 17:00 ish and has now turned into a triangle. This could be a nice 100 point break or drop. I favour the drop .As the horizontal resistance and up slope support meet, there's a big move in the offering as the price gets to that point. Stong buying vol on ES at the close makes me think up.....

Attachments

• dow 04-09-03 10.gif
    dow 04-09-03 10.gif
    27.6 KB · Views: 426
Another tricky day, being range bound by the 50 point band 9550 to 9600. Those with courage should have taken the short entry on the double top that failed to break 9600, closing at the double bottom on support. That early double bottom on uptrend support signalled a good long as well, with a close on the ND top at the first 9600 touch. This was follwed by another one. Very strange, but at least you got two shots at an out at 9600, in fact, three, in all, for those of you that are greed driven! :cheesy: A leisurely 80 - 100 odd points....
Two days of narrow range and a triangle in the offering should give us a nice range break tomorrow, and maybe something to shout about.

Attachments

• dow 04-09-03 1.gif
    dow 04-09-03 1.gif
    19.9 KB · Views: 420
"Those with courage should have taken the short entry on the double top that failed to break 9600"

Those who had been out (again) the night before and with very very slow brains went long ......

Ah well, at least I closed when id started heading down - lost 28 points, but went short and had enough brain cells left to close at the dbl bottom. Made up some of those points at least.

Sigh !

Just cos it broke 9600 is no reason alone to jump on board.... Wait for a bounce to confirm.

Now why didn't I spot that divergence. Still we got the 100 point drop ... helped by some not too good figures. Clear cut double channel break . Double trouble. Nice call Skim. Spot on!

Attachments

• dow 05-09-03 10.gif
    dow 05-09-03 10.gif
    28.5 KB · Views: 312
110 the drop but no chance to take it as the news came out in pre market. Still, the Bear flag offered an opportunity, with a farly slow dropout to get onboard . And note the H&S at the end of the flag... Where to get out ? divergent bottom on ES as well as dow and the Vol divergence on ES confirms. Good guess for the close for me this week, only a few points out at 9489. Makes a change.

Attachments

• dow 05-09-03 1.gif
    dow 05-09-03 1.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 328
Chartman.

Could the double bottom about 19.15pm, also bouncing off the magic '64' have any significance with regard to an exit strategy?

Zebra.

I don't know about significance, but 32 and 64 are common support /resistance points, regardless of other support/resistance values. Note the peak at 16:26 @ 9568- close enough to 64.... and the opening low at 9530 and 9529....