Dow 2007

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2006/11/19271933_chart_.html

1. "We will not have any more crashes in our time."
- John Maynard Keynes in 1927

2. "I cannot help but raise a dissenting voice to statements that we are living in a fool's paradise, and that prosperity in this country must necessarily diminish and recede in the near future."
- E. H. H. Simmons, President, New York Stock Exchange, January 12, 1928

"There will be no interruption of our permanent prosperity."
- Myron E. Forbes, President, Pierce Arrow Motor Car Co., January 12, 1928

3. "No Congress of the United States ever assembled, on surveying the state of the Union, has met with a more pleasing prospect than that which appears at the present time. In the domestic field there is tranquility and contentment...and the highest record of years of prosperity. In the foreign field there is peace, the goodwill which comes from mutual understanding."
- Calvin Coolidge December 4, 1928

4. "There may be a recession in stock prices, but not anything in the nature of a crash."
- Irving Fisher, leading U.S. economist , New York Times, Sept. 5, 1929

5. "Stock prices have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau. I do not feel there will be soon if ever a 50 or 60 point break from present levels, such as (bears) have predicted. I expect to see the stock market a good deal higher within a few months."
- Irving Fisher, Ph.D. in economics, Oct. 17, 1929

"This crash is not going to have much effect on business."
- Arthur Reynolds, Chairman of Continental Illinois Bank of Chicago, October 24, 1929

"There will be no repetition of the break of yesterday... I have no fear of another comparable decline."
- Arthur W. Loasby (President of the Equitable Trust Company), quoted in NYT, Friday, October 25, 1929

"We feel that fundamentally Wall Street is sound, and that for people who can afford to pay for them outright, good stocks are cheap at these prices."
- Goodbody and Company market-letter quoted in The New York Times, Friday, October 25, 1929

6. "This is the time to buy stocks. This is the time to recall the words of the late J. P. Morgan... that any man who is bearish on America will go broke. Within a few days there is likely to be a bear panic rather than a bull panic. Many of the low prices as a result of this hysterical selling are not likely to be reached again in many years."
- R. W. McNeel, market analyst, as quoted in the New York Herald Tribune, October 30, 1929

"Buying of sound, seasoned issues now will not be regretted"
- E. A. Pearce market letter quoted in the New York Herald Tribune, October 30, 1929

"Some pretty intelligent people are now buying stocks... Unless we are to have a panic -- which no one seriously believes, stocks have hit bottom."
- R. W. McNeal, financial analyst in October 1929

7. "The decline is in paper values, not in tangible goods and services...America is now in the eighth year of prosperity as commercially defined. The former great periods of prosperity in America averaged eleven years. On this basis we now have three more years to go before the tailspin."
- Stuart Chase (American economist and author), NY Herald Tribune, November 1, 1929

"Hysteria has now disappeared from Wall Street."
- The Times of London, November 2, 1929

"The Wall Street crash doesn't mean that there will be any general or serious business depression... For six years American business has been diverting a substantial part of its attention, its energies and its resources on the speculative game... Now that irrelevant, alien and hazardous adventure is over. Business has come home again, back to its job, providentially unscathed, sound in wind and limb, financially stronger than ever before."
- Business Week, November 2, 1929

"...despite its severity, we believe that the slump in stock prices will prove an intermediate movement and not the precursor of a business depression such as would entail prolonged further liquidation..."
- Harvard Economic Society (HES), November 2, 1929

8. "... a serious depression seems improbable; [we expect] recovery of business next spring, with further improvement in the fall."
- HES, November 10, 1929

"The end of the decline of the Stock Market will probably not be long, only a few more days at most."
- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics at Yale University, November 14, 1929

"In most of the cities and towns of this country, this Wall Street panic will have no effect."
- Paul Block (President of the Block newspaper chain), editorial, November 15, 1929

"Financial storm definitely passed."
- Bernard Baruch, cablegram to Winston Churchill, November 15, 1929

9. "I see nothing in the present situation that is either menacing or warrants pessimism... I have every confidence that there will be a revival of activity in the spring, and that during this coming year the country will make steady progress."
- Andrew W. Mellon, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury December 31, 1929

"I am convinced that through these measures we have reestablished confidence."
- Herbert Hoover, December 1929

"[1930 will be] a splendid employment year."
- U.S. Dept. of Labor, New Year's Forecast, December 1929

10. "For the immediate future, at least, the outlook (stocks) is bright."
- Irving Fisher, Ph.D. in Economics, in early 1930

11. "...there are indications that the severest phase of the recession is over..."
- Harvard Economic Society (HES) Jan 18, 1930

12. "There is nothing in the situation to be disturbed about."
- Secretary of the Treasury Andrew Mellon, Feb 1930

13. "The spring of 1930 marks the end of a period of grave concern...American business is steadily coming back to a normal level of prosperity."
- Julius Barnes, head of Hoover's National Business Survey Conference, Mar 16, 1930

"... the outlook continues favorable..."
- HES Mar 29, 1930

14. "... the outlook is favorable..."
- HES Apr 19, 1930

15. "While the crash only took place six months ago, I am convinced we have now passed through the worst -- and with continued unity of effort we shall rapidly recover. There has been no significant bank or industrial failure. That danger, too, is safely behind us."
- Herbert Hoover, President of the United States, May 1, 1930

"...by May or June the spring recovery forecast in our letters of last December and November should clearly be apparent..."
- HES May 17, 1930

"Gentleman, you have come sixty days too late. The depression is over."
- Herbert Hoover, responding to a delegation requesting a public works program to help speed the recovery, June 1930

16. "... irregular and conflicting movements of business should soon give way to a sustained recovery..."
- HES June 28, 1930

17. "... the present depression has about spent its force..."
- HES, Aug 30, 1930

18. "We are now near the end of the declining phase of the depression."
- HES Nov 15, 1930

19. "Stabilization at [present] levels is clearly possible."
- HES Oct 31, 1931

20. "All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S."
- President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933

"Theres is nothing new in stock speculation. What has happened in the past wll happen again, again and again. This is because human emotion does not change and it is human emotion that gets in the way of human intelligence" - Jesse Livermore

>

Right, here we are.....new high...of course we have to be on guard at all times...just common sense really.

So, the vested interests were happy enough with a correction....and it's important to distinguish between a crash and a correction....we are still in a rampant bull market....no jobs are being lost...nobody is feeling a squeeze....the conditions if you like for a depression are not there.....it's simply not correct to be looking to short this market ( practical trading day to day )and especially with all markets correlating upside....

I hear talk of waiting and not taking longs....what is it with all this waiting......waiting for it to go 400 points higher .....and then call it a top ?...it's just plain nonsense and it is not personal ....what we need to be doing is taking long plays....and exiting on exhaustions.....probabilities of more successful trades with a built in long edge....

I seem to remember having this same scenario 6/8 months ago......just quit trying to pick the top......it's pointless :rolleyes: Zoom out and always check the higher time frames...higher time frames tell the true story...base lower time frame trades on the big picture generally.

The shape of the price action tells us what to do....who's for 2500 point higher...ok ok ...just kidding :LOL: ...but.....theres more chance of that happening than a 2500 point decline.

I'm taking a break for a while....certain aspects of/on T2W are getting on my tits...but never mind...such is life...

cv

Right, here we are.....new high...of course we have to be on guard at all times...just common sense really.

So, the vested interests were happy enough with a correction....and it's important to distinguish between a crash and a correction....we are still in a rampant bull market....no jobs are being lost...nobody is feeling a squeeze....the conditions if you like for a depression are not there.....it's simply not correct to be looking to short this market ( practical trading day to day )and especially with all markets correlating upside....

I hear talk of waiting and not taking longs....what is it with all this waiting......waiting for it to go 400 points higher .....and then call it a top ?...it's just plain nonsense and it is not personal ....what we need to be doing is taking long plays....and exiting on exhaustions.....probabilities of more successful trades with a built in long edge....

I seem to remember having this same scenario 6/8 months ago......just quit trying to pick the top......it's pointless :rolleyes: Zoom out and always check the higher time frames...higher time frames tell the true story...base lower time frame trades on the big picture generally.

The shape of the price action tells us what to do....who's for 2500 point higher...ok ok ...just kidding :LOL: ...but.....theres more chance of that happening than a 2500 point decline.

I'm taking a break for a while....certain aspects of/on T2W are getting on my tits...but never mind...such is life...

cv

Nice post by Catracho and your good self CV.

I think I'm in denial because if I ask my self at what point I will go long, I'm merely saying at what point do I close my shorts.

I'm sure you are right but do I have the nerve to go long in this market. No I don't. It's purely my personal DNA.

It's good to have you on here to balance the boat from tipping. Are you sure you want to be sorrounded by yes men?

cv

Which is one of the reasons I've been mainly sidelined from T2W since I came back. Last week we were bouncing between support and resistance in a relatively small range on the YM. I can see no other setups than longs really. The breakout yesterday signaled a very nice long entry. The exit was more tricky, however the ES and NQ attained their daily ranges within 10% which would've made for a near-perfect exit catching 90% of the move. The YM travelled a whole lot further, but then again it's not about squeezing everything out of the market, just as much as possible :)

cv is totally right however... why anybody would like to go against the market and stand in front of a passing train I don't know. It does seem that the majority of T2W is a good contrary indicator :cheesy:

Well, I took my first "position" stock index long today. I checked the markets at 8:10 and I left in a buy order for the FTSE (cash) at 6540 and went out for the morning. I return to find the index in a downtrend, despite the YM holding gains and the Dax trending up and breaking out. My stops at 6500 haven't been hit yet, and I am looking to hold the position into the US open. I don't have much of a reason for this, and I did anticipate a shorter term trade, however my stop or target is yet to be hit, and inertia isn't a compelling reason to take a loss. For once I'm hoping the markets become irrational and the FTSE returns to near highs.

Not much of an opening gap, pretty low momentum. Anyones guess for the open. Last chance to pull in my FTSE long, but I'm not doing it. Stoploss gives a risk of 50 pips.

Not a particularly strong opening, however it seems the FTSE is moving ahead and TradIndex have a slow loading web platform today (much to my annoyance). What are the chances of a BoE rate cut on Thursday? Not priced in I wouldn't expect, but we mustn't rule it out.

Would anyone with experience or knowledge of trading TED spreads care to weigh in here on the UKUS Interest Rate situation?

And just as we are celebrating the return of the bull market, and trying to trade with a long bias, the market gives us another shaft. 15 minutes in and we have not made a higher high on the day, and appear to be forming a succession of lower highs (and higher lows). Not too sure which way the breakout will be, but I note the FTSE is yet to cross through resistance. I am quite tempted to exit that trade now, but it would be for the wrong reasons. I'll stay in for now.

FTSE moving higher despite pullback on Wall Street. Perhaps a little lag here. I'm still thinking that now the worst of the banking crisis is over, we may just see a return to highs on the FTSE within the month. I might convert this into a "buy and hold" "investment" if we close high today. I could roll this into December FTSE and hold it. I'll see how we look ahead of the London close.

Dow doesn't seem to be doing anything in the way of direction or volume compared with yesterday. FTSE threatening to breach resistance at 6540(6550) and head north. Thoughts?

Perhaps the PPT at work, or effective demand of traders. Very rapid. Unforunately London took that pretty hard and hasn't bounced back as quickly. Just as I was considering liquidating that for -5......

I almost sold the bottom in that Dow plunge too!

I'm marvelling at how the Dow can cause the FTSE to fall but not to rise. There was a delay, and a faster finger could have covered in the 15 second gap between the Dow breaking and the FTSE following. Unfortunately, the Dow has come back up and that appears to make no difference. The FTSE has been looking decidedly weak all day. I'll stop short of carrying this one overnight, but it looks like I'll have to wait under MOC for an exit (unless I am actually stopped out, which I don't think is too likely - as long as the Dow stays above 14150).

Stopped out. I should have covered for -5 when I had that chance (FTSE was beginning to show some strength independently of the states though). I'm out -47. In total, I'm down 253 on the week! Looks like this might be my first losing week in three months. Not looking forward to it. I know it will be a losing week because I cannot bring myself to trade after such mismanagement. I'm also annoyed at being suckered in to a phoney bull market.

US blue chips are probably benefiting hugely from money looking to get exposure to global sales revenue and away from small/midcaps that will be more reliant on the home market. Remember those foreign sales put back on the balance sheets in $ look better and better particularly if domestic sales are weakening.....FTSE has swung neutral because of the counterplay between the Financial and mining sectors primarily and it won't be likely to make headway until both get in synch.

Stopped out. I should have covered for -5 when I had that chance (FTSE was beginning to show some strength independently of the states though). I'm out -47. In total, I'm down 253 on the week! Looks like this might be my first losing week in three months. Not looking forward to it. I know it will be a losing week because I cannot bring myself to trade after such mismanagement. I'm also annoyed at being suckered in to a phoney bull market.

Just got out of shower and a no more experienced trader as commented on your post, Ian must be off line or I am sure he would have posted ~

I refer you to Ians post yesterday,

I would remind you to lose you opinion or lose your money.

I would like to be able to grasp some of the information you obviously understand but am unable due to gene dificiency. I think you could perhaps reflect on how to use it to best effect.

I was told that the reaction to the news or information is more important than the News its self :?:

Congratulations on your 3 month winning run. How did you do it :?: impressed

Sorry a more experienced trader did not post , would have let me off hook, just a bit concerned thats all .

If I am off the mark Feel free to dish me, itll do me good :LOL: and past caring anyway.

Thanks for that Neil. I'll confess to feeling quite sore about my FTSE trade. My reasons for putting it on weren't solid enough to justify my wide stop and fairly large size. I don't really trade that market much any more, and I think I was just feeling I had to trade. Down 250 on the week in 2 days - I think I'll stop here and return for the aftermath of the employment number (not enough balls to take a position going in - not too sure which way it will go).

not sure whats phoney about this bull market looks to me like one big 5 year up move that has seen the index double

Oh, brilliant. more posts. The winning streak came about after a year of trying and losing. Lose your opinion or your money - that is a good one. I didn't have a good enough reason for taking that trade in retrospect, and why I forced myself to stick to an ill formed "plan" I'll never know. Back to old (losing) attitudes I think.

That is my reckless speculation done for this week. Future trades will be properly placed or not done. Chump, you make an interesting point about foreign sales/earnings.

My problem is I am becoming downright depressed at all the opportunities I have missed to put on trades recently. Mostly this has been due to fear or hesitation. I made a trade plan to buy wheat at 810, and sat and watched it go limit up three consecutive days, each time too scared to take a long after such movement up. Ditto gold at 650. The day the Fed cut the discount rate 50bps should have given me a long signal on Monday, but I didn't take it. Even at 1pp, some of those trades on front month contracts would have had very high risk reward and made a lot of sense.

I don't know why I am wrestling with intra-day trading again. That is the way to the poor house, especially in the bucket shops. I am also back to trading too large. Not wise. I've lost in 2 days what it usually takes me a week to make.

I think I'll just have to move to defining setups on daily charts and making every trade count due to the wide stops required on such a time frame.

I'm lost. Again. I think I'm going to take a break from actual trades until later in the week, and see how I get on then.

never a bad idea to slow down when its not working out. or trading tiny till it gets better

True. I have the employment number on Friday, so I don't think I should trade until then. I doubt I will be able to breakeven on the week, but a loss had to come sooner rather than later. I'm just annoyed that the loss came for the wrong reasons.