Article Does The Bible Oppose Trading?

B

Black Swan

0 0
I knew when this article was being put together that it would get the reaction it did and from the same people who always have strong views on anything on this site. However, there is sufficient interest and especially from US traders in the subject of trading and religion to warrant it being published and that is why it has been. To not publish it just because there are a number of strong anti-religious views would be giving way to a form of censorship.

Paul

and if you were to find T2W for the very first time today and saw that article on the home page what kind of 'message' d'ya reckon it sends out...:whistling

stefitch

17 1
Just wondering, Who works for a site called TRADE 2 WIN yet feels the need to have a theological discussion on the ramifications of the bibles teachings in relation to profit gained from the stock market. I would never dream of suggesting that one should or should not hold a certain belief, but there must be more appropriate forums on the web for this discussion than here.

Trader333

8,655 981
and if you were to find T2W for the very first time today and saw that article on the home page what kind of 'message' d'ya reckon it sends out...

That would depend on who you are. There are any number of threads that could also give any number of different messages about this site.

Paul

Trader333

8,655 981
And I thought we'd had enough of that stuff with fcta........now it's on the front page !

The message being given by fcta is very different to this article. The article is about the morals of trading where fcta is about a supposed methodology of trading that has come from God.

Paul

CTC7

10 2
Wow! Quite a response.

As the author of this article, my intention was to shed some light on a topic that is important to many.

There is a large subset of traders for whom religion and faith is not limited to a 60 minute Sunday church service, but extends into every area of life, including trading. Just because you might be unaware of this does not diminish its reality. With over 2,300 verses that relate to money, for them (and me) the Bible is a source of instruction that we can apply to trading.

But it’s not just the verses about money that are relevant. There are verses that speak about particular characteristics that, as traders, we need to develop to be successful.

For example, “Mr. Charts”, A Legendary member of Trade2Win with nearly 4,000 posts says the following:

“Above all you need self-control and the humility to realise you are not the master of the markets..”

I could not agree more! These are two very important characteristics of a successful trader. And the Bible speaks directly about humility and self-control.

“Above all you need self-control” – Mr. Charts
“But the fruit of the Spirit is …self control” Galatians 5:23

“…and the humility to realize you are not master of the markets…” – Mr. Charts
“Do not think of yourselves more highly than you ought…” Romans 12:3

I say all of this not to try win you over to my camp, but to hopefully shed some light on how the Bible and trading intersect, and to speak to those traders for whom this is important.

I always enjoy a good, respectful dialogue and thank those members who responded constructively. To those who choose to be more abrasive: I spent 15 years trading on the floor of the CME. I’ve got thick skin.

Bill Provenzano

Reactions: shadowninja

Mr. Charts

Legendary member
7,370 1,194
The message being given by fcta is very different to this article. The article is about the morals of trading where fcta is about a supposed methodology of trading that has come from God.

Paul

Yes, indeed, Paul, I understand that.
In my personal view, politics and religion should be confined on a trading site to specific threads where people can choose to read, comment or ignore.
I don't think it should be so up front on the title page of a site like this. But, hey, that's just a personal opinion, I'm not saying I'm "right", it's just an opinion.
Richard

Mr. Charts

Legendary member
7,370 1,194
Wow! Quite a response.

As the author of this article, my intention was to shed some light on a topic that is important to many.

There is a large subset of traders for whom religion and faith is not limited to a 60 minute Sunday church service, but extends into every area of life, including trading. Just because you might be unaware of this does not diminish its reality. With over 2,300 verses that relate to money, for them (and me) the Bible is a source of instruction that we can apply to trading.

But it’s not just the verses about money that are relevant. There are verses that speak about particular characteristics that, as traders, we need to develop to be successful.

For example, “Mr. Charts”, A Legendary member of Trade2Win with nearly 4,000 posts says the following:

“Above all you need self-control and the humility to realise you are not the master of the markets..”

I could not agree more! These are two very important characteristics of a successful trader. And the Bible speaks directly about humility and self-control.

I say all of this not to try win you over to my camp, but to hopefully shed some light on how the Bible and trading intersect, and to speak to those traders for whom this is important.

I always enjoy a good, respectful dialogue and thank those members who responded constructively. To those who choose to be more abrasive: I spent 15 years trading on the floor of the CME. I’ve got thick skin.

Bill Provenzano

I'm flattered you read some of my posts. I'll respond later, back to trading now.
Richard

gooseman

Experienced member
1,776 219
Wow! Quite a response.

Bill Provenzano

How would you respond if I said these things (self-control and humility) were present in the human make-up and had nothing to do with religion?

dcraig1

Experienced member
1,604 243

Fundamentalism, pure and simple.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock