Article Does The Bible Oppose Trading?

CTC7

10 2
How would you respond if I said these things (self-control and humility) were present in the human make-up and had nothing to do with religion?

I would say that, while humility and self-control are present in our make-up, we can develope and deepen these traits.

For the purpose of this conversation, I'll limit the subjest to trading, but we can easily extend into family life, work life, etc. I'll ask you: are you as patient as you would like to be/need to be when you trade? Do you exercise enough self-control?

For those who answer "no", then clearly there needs to be some mechanism to develope these traits. And again, for those of us who look to the Bible and our faith, it seems quite impossible to say that these traits have nothing to do with religion. The Bible instructs us to be patient, humble and self controlled, but it doesn't stop there. It gives instruction on how to be patient, humble and self-controlled.

Thank you for the dialogue.

gooseman

Experienced member
1,776 219
having a good old [email protected] teaches me self-control and patience (apologies for bringing the tone down a bit) but for me religion does not do this. i am sceptical about religion but am aware that many people draw inspiration from very different sources. i guess what i'm trying to say is religion is not for me and applying it to trading is like comparing apples and pears. you're abviously not an idiot having been on the merc for 15 years so fair play-if it works, it works.

B

Black Swan

0 0
Wow! Quite a response.

As the author of this article, my intention was to shed some light on a topic that is important to many.

There is a large subset of traders for whom religion and faith is not limited to a 60 minute Sunday church service, but extends into every area of life, including trading. Just because you might be unaware of this does not diminish its reality. With over 2,300 verses that relate to money, for them (and me) the Bible is a source of instruction that we can apply to trading.

But it’s not just the verses about money that are relevant. There are verses that speak about particular characteristics that, as traders, we need to develop to be successful.

For example, “Mr. Charts”, A Legendary member of Trade2Win with nearly 4,000 posts says the following:

“Above all you need self-control and the humility to realise you are not the master of the markets..”

I could not agree more! These are two very important characteristics of a successful trader. And the Bible speaks directly about humility and self-control.

“Above all you need self-control” – Mr. Charts
“But the fruit of the Spirit is …self control” Galatians 5:23

“…and the humility to realize you are not master of the markets…” – Mr. Charts
“Do not think of yourselves more highly than you ought…” Romans 12:3

I say all of this not to try win you over to my camp, but to hopefully shed some light on how the Bible and trading intersect, and to speak to those traders for whom this is important.

I always enjoy a good, respectful dialogue and thank those members who responded constructively. To those who choose to be more abrasive: I spent 15 years trading on the floor of the CME. I’ve got thick skin.

Bill Provenzano

respect Jules :D
Jules: There's a passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

jules.jpg

CTC7

10 2
respect Jules :D
Jules: There's a passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

jules.jpg

GREAT Movie!!

B

Black Swan

0 0
Okaly-dokily

anyone else think that a picture of the immortal Flanders should have accompanied the article? What would Ned have thought of trading? Withcraft I reckon, look what he did to Harry Potter :-0

Ned: [reading] Harry Potter, and all his wizard friends, went straight to Hell for practicing witchcraft.
Todd:Yay! [Ned throws the book into the burning fireplace]

Although curiously he does appear to have a soft spot for scalpers :D

Todd: Daddy, what are taxes paying for?
Ned: Ohoho... everything! Policemen, trees, sunshine, and let's not forget the folks who just don't feel like working, God bless 'em

user3148_1167257175.jpg

mb325

473 87
With over 30,000 verses I'm not surprised humility/self-control is mentioned a few times!

dcraig1

Experienced member
1,604 243
For example, “Mr. Charts”, A Legendary member of Trade2Win with nearly 4,000 posts says the following:

“Above all you need self-control and the humility to realise you are not the master of the markets..”

I could not agree more! These are two very important characteristics of a successful trader. And the Bible speaks directly about humility and self-control.

“Above all you need self-control” – Mr. Charts
“But the fruit of the Spirit is …self control” Galatians 5:23

“…and the humility to realize you are not master of the markets…” – Mr. Charts
“Do not think of yourselves more highly than you ought…” Romans 12:3

You think that if you scoured Shakespeare's plays, you would not come up with a rather similar set of aphorisms? Indeed, I think you will find the themes of hubris and humility throughout literature and certainly predating the bible. They are the stuff of tragedy. The bible is nothing special in that respect. They also make for a good read, which was no doubt a consideration for those who penned the bible.

The end game for you fundamentalists is to compress human experience into some ancient book from which emanates all the truth one really needs. And that demonstrates an extraordinary lack of humility.

spy74

118 12
taking financial risk to try and earn a buck is a legitimate and honest way to make a living, - why would the bible be opposed to that?

Last edited:

Splitlink

Legendary member
10,850 1,234
Think for yourselves and use the sense God gave you. Christ kicked over the table thousands of years ago. I'd like to have been there to get the facts right. For one thing, these people were in the temple area where they should not have been. Any rabi, worth his salt, should have done something similar, surely? Does that make Him anti-gambling or trading?

Last edited:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock