Do you think futures are easier than options?

TheLord

I think that trading futures is way easier than trading options. I know this does not apply to everyone, but I feel that futures, specifically emini sp 500 contracts are incredibly profitable. I basicly scalp all day and pull in about $850 a day. Whats your guys take on this?

If you trade futures everyday then you won't be making $850 a day for long.. Futures has a way of humbling you just when the going gets good. To each is own when it comes to which is better but the ES is usually far more liquid so it moves more quicker then options..

Trading

Hi there,

May I ask how long you have been trading?
6 years ago when I started trading I started out by doing a 15-day winning streak. This is the worst thing that could happen to a newbie trader.
The keyword is euphoria.

Ive been trading futures for about 2 momths.
Hi there,

May I ask how long you have been trading?
6 years ago when I started trading I started out by doing a 15-day winning streak. This is the worst thing that could happen to a newbie trader.
The keyword is euphoria.

Out of 5 days of the week I probably have 1-2 losing days and 2 losing days is rare for me in 1 week. I never hold a position for more than 15 mins which is why I think I don't have many losing days. If I have a losing trade I cut the position and will usually come back above. How do you trade futures?
Ok.
Now please tell me the % of losing days and % of winning days. Also if there's a discrepancy in the average money made on winning and losing days.

This kind of reminds me of the euphoria problem inherent in newer traders.
If you are the 5% exception then it's good for you.
If you cut losers early, this means you have a high percentage of losing trades. Do you ever double up?

I have traded the YM for the last 6 years with the same strategy.

Out of 5 days of the week I probably have 1-2 losing days and 2 losing days is rare for me in 1 week. I never hold a position for more than 15 mins which is why I think I don't have many losing days. If I have a losing trade I cut the position and will usually come back above. How do you trade futures?

I try not to double up because I know I am trying to discipline myself and limit risk.
This kind of reminds me of the euphoria problem inherent in newer traders.
If you are the 5% exception then it's good for you.
If you cut losers early, this means you have a high percentage of losing trades. Do you ever double up?

I have traded the YM for the last 6 years with the same strategy.

I think that trading futures is way easier than trading options. I know this does not apply to everyone, but I feel that futures, specifically emini sp 500 contracts are incredibly profitable. I basicly scalp all day and pull in about $850 a day. Whats your guys take on this?

Options are completely different, and I certainly wouldn't use them to day trade. Stick with what is working.

What you mean by easier ? yes its easier you just buy or sell unlike options but are you going to make money trading futures ? Doubt that . Options trading isn't easy you should know exactly what are you looking for , that being said options is the way to go its much more profitable than trading outright futures ...

What do you mean by wasting assets by trading options?

Understand how the greeks works with premium like theta, delta, volatility, etc.... Just make sure you understand how price or premium(up/down) is affected by the greeks

Maybe its just me, but I have found options extremely difficult. You have to be right on the money. With futures, I love the leverage and the liquidity

Maybe its just me, but I have found options extremely difficult. You have to be right on the money. With futures, I love the leverage and the liquidity

Yes, at first it can be difficult but as time goes you will understand how premium changes from cheap to expensive or expensive to cheap. For the experienced trader, options have a slightly greater chance of success than futures.

Futures have a constant delta and no theta...just make sure you have tight stops and stay small

. With futures, I love the leverage and the liquidity

Options are more leveraged than futures , and the liquidity you see in options is just for a single strike at a specific expiry for a single instrument , you have many strikes , expires , and instruments to trade ...

Last edited:
An edge in trading is an exploitable statistical advantage based on market behavior that is likely to repeat in the future. No matter what you do you have to have long term positive expectations. Somehow if you can matmematically quantify what you are doing the better. It should be repeatable. The more you wing it the greater chance of blow up.

Forgot blew up twice trading futures, now I am a seller of options. Limited upside and unlimited downside there is a reason this is all most know about the sell side. It was enough to keep me away from the sell side for over twenty years. I believe buying options is a good choice for hedging and gambling if you ain't hedging your gambling. The last thing you want to be is on the other sides of my trade. The probabilities are so stacked against the buyers that few ever make money long term. Taleb buys out money puts and calls. Hits big sometime losses small a lot. Futures are no harder or easier than options, you got to have a working model to trade anything, and a hedge