Do you lose your trading skills if you don't trade for months ??

Attila the trader

Hi,
i haven't made a proper trade since feb , due to the economic crisis in my country , neither do i keep track of the economy as i used to do. i wonder whether id lose the skills ; not the theory which i can reread and get it refreshed , but things like stress management , quick decision making , emotional control etc. that's required when trading actively .

I imagine there would be some ring rust to an extent, maybe confidence in execution maybe but I would think it's not something you totally lose after being away. Well not if you were doing it well before hand

Trading IS NOT about "skills". Its not like playing basketball or skateboarding. Thats where you need skills lol.. Trading is all about having access to the right information, not who can jump through a hoop the best.. There are no skills to trading, only the correct knowledge, patience and discipline. And, it doesnt take skill to do either of those. It doesnt take skill to see that there are more aggressive buyers to sellers. It doesnt take skill to see there is buy or sell imbalances. It just takes the right information and knowledge and then the balls to make the trade. This is what separates traders..

I'm more in the park of it's like riding a "mountain" bike. You'll always know what to do but you can get rusty in execution. You're speeds/confidence is slightly dull and the market conditions are different. I don't think it should take to long getting back in the swing of things though.

Longest I've taken off was about 9 days in 2 years of trading my main current strategy.

Trading IS NOT about "skills". Its not like playing basketball or skateboarding. Thats where you need skills lol.. Trading is all about having access to the right information, not who can jump through a hoop the best.. There are no skills to trading, only the correct knowledge, patience and discipline. And, it doesnt take skill to do either of those. It doesnt take skill to see that there are more aggressive buyers to sellers. It doesnt take skill to see there is buy or sell imbalances. It just takes the right information and knowledge and then the balls to make the trade. This is what separates traders..
I disagree I think there is a skill in bringing that information together, having your psychology in check and then executing a trade well.

Hi,
i haven't made a proper trade since feb , due to the economic crisis in my country , neither do i keep track of the economy as i used to do. i wonder whether id lose the skills ; not the theory which i can reread and get it refreshed , but things like stress management , quick decision making , emotional control etc. that's required when trading actively .
Your mind will remember these skills as survival instincts if you are really experienced in trading. Only a very long break and a change of environment, as well as habits, can affect your skills, in fact, because you will already be another person.
Anyway, if there is an economic crisis in your country, then you will still encounter psychological barriers, due to which your trading may become too cautious. This is just an opinion, I'm not a psychologist, maybe I'm wrong.

Trading is like a practice thing, such as playing cricket. If you don’t step into the field for a while, you lose the right mind to do it. The same goes for trading. You need to be consistent with it if you want to be successful.

You might have difficulty initially in adjusting with the market. But as you'll update and then trade you'll find it is easy.

We might lose concentration and focus with time so we need to upgrade our skills from time to time by learning. If I don’t trade for months I feel less focused.

If you don’t trade for long your skills might remain intact but due to change in time there is a high possibility that your skills would need upgrading to cope up with the present style of trading.

It depends on what you do in between. Studying sciences can enhance your mental abilities and lead to a better trading.