Do you admit to being a Trader?

Interesting Post,

I just cant get my head wrapped around some of the views on this thread.. they are alien to me....

Why oh why would some of you be so obsessed with what other people think about you in the context of trading?? After 5 minutes everyone is worried about themselves... get over it... Dont you guys (ok thats a bit general sorry) know the only reason for anyone disagreeing with the notion of a trader is ignorance ( and from the other side an overly sesnitive regard for other peoples sensibilities about you imo...pure and simple...

I would be compelled to stand tall with that statement secure in the intellectual & psychological challenge represented in mastering the markets. To me it is on a par with the best opportunities available for work and certainly not boringly mechanical as some have suggested elsewhere... once you master things the next step is to scale up and compound that success.. how can that be boring? Man.. is it me?....... I am proud to know that I want to trade full time and I know what it is like not to have very much money... living off biscuits and unable to afford cigarettes as a heavy smoker ( gee that was so painful.. I cried.... but it did eventually lead to my escape from that evil weed)..& anyone who has ever been broke will understand fully the need never ever to go back to that state again.... I also know what it is like to work for other people and I am flummoxed that anyone would deny what they actually do... Where is the pride?

I dont know of many other professions where the earning potential is unlimited provided you master the correct strategies and money management.... most jobs are charades for the uninitiated who learn after a lifetime of service that teamwork and career progression are tools of oppression created to stifle ambition and bring workers into line for the benefit of shareholders savvy enough to recognize the bigger picture... and most PAYE clones do not get it, have the inclination or the balls to take such measured risk....Governments would collapse without us, economies would falter quickly and PLCs would have almost no chance of growth without us.... Traders are the Gods of capitalism doing Adam Smiths good work to be a Trader is to ride on the glory of that intellectual powerhouse called Economics, to tame the beast upon which we dare ride bearback..... "errr.. what do you do?" I TRADE STOCKS FUTURES OPTIONS AND CURRENCY PAIRS IN VARIOUS FINANCIAL MARKETS... I AM A TRADER..... Wow.. how much more prestigious could you make it?... and some of you wish to hide from that? no way stuff em... I was contemplating a Harvard MBA just for the fun of it then realized huge % go straight into V enture Capaitalism/Investment Analysis/ Trading/Private equity and then I thought I already have a dammed Masters and Im bright but not much brighter than your average trader or indeed lovely people that frequent these boards... my point? Believe in yourself, dont be swayed by others who know less, earn less and dont posses the force of nature your already blessed with..

What is of more benefit to society a reasonably successful trader who makes a donation of £100K after 10 yrs in the markets or a person who spends thier time working in a regular job even for a charity earning 25K a year?????? Dont be fooled, its mostly about money!!! not always a shoulder to cry on.. for that religion has its place and proper medical or psychological assistance through Hospitals is the support solution.... but do we get better services by working for charities? Just because joe bloggs has a vision of how one should contribute and that voice in society is loud.. is it necessarily the correct one? .... Do me a favor.. The greatest gift (outside of ones immediate family) one can provide in my view is philanthropy but in order to excersize that gift you must acquire wealth... when we trade we provide liquidity to that machine so others also accelerate themselves to that ultimate goal.... We acquire in order to spend, and there is no greater gift to oneself than to give

Doctors, nurses, Politicians or agents of support and change do not efficiently supply thier services to society for free... this is a silly idealistic notion, although we do acknowledge the huge inequalities between countries that still allow huge contribution from individuals like students and Doctors that take some personal time out to assist on a micro-economic scale. I think on a macro-economic scale, some people need to reassess the whole notion of contribution and what it means with perhaps a broader understanding of the world and how it works from an economic veiw first in order to break those habits of learned thought drummed into us about contribution methods from an early age by a society which frankly has advanced into a completely different world since then..

People who tend to look down on Trading are the same idealists heard realing off comments like "Money cant by me love".... yeah right... try telling that to Robert Tchenguiz Anna Nicole-Smith .. its not an absolute but it sure helps to make everything go around... its the means by which society measures value.
Just my 2cents

Paul TRADER... and proud of it!

Top post Paul:LOL: especially like this paragraph : most jobs are charades for the uninitiated who learn after a lifetime of service that teamwork and career progression are tools of oppression created to stifle ambition and bring workers into line for the benefit of shareholders savvy enough to recognize the bigger picture... and most PAYE clones do not get it, have the inclination or the balls to take such measured risk....Governments would collapse without us, economies would falter quickly and PLCs would have almost no chance of growth without us.... Traders are the Gods of capitalism doing Adam Smiths good work to be a Trader is to ride on the glory of that intellectual powerhouse called Economics, to tame the beast upon which we dare ride bearback.....

How very true!!

I'd find it very hard to explain the hours in front of a PC in my spare room at night if I didn't admit to trading!!! :cheesy:

Im proud to tell people that im a forex trader/tutor ;)
always include that when i introduce myself in my class or to friends and most of them are amazed because im just 21 and already have 2 years of experience and giving lectures to newbies (i started early in this field :cheesy: :cheesy: )

I'd find it very hard to explain the hours in front of a PC in my spare room at night if I didn't admit to trading!!! :cheesy:

LOL!

Bit of a loaded question.

Makes trading sound as if it is some kind of affliction aka admitting you've got crabs or like wearing ladies clothes.

I find that there are many perceptions about traders from non traders and most are plain wrong.

I'll "admit" it when it covers my living expenses. Right now I see no value in advertising the fact I am attempting to speculate on futures. I'm most certainly not ashamed of it, I just don't wish to advertise the fact.

If I can support myself by trading 6 months down the line, or at least make enough of a profit EOD trading alongside a full time job (sigh), I may mention it if it comes up. Until then, the fact I have lost £1700 learning how to trade is something I'll admit on T2W only.

I've been a little more open about it recently, and haven't received too many negative responses (although that may have something to do with the markets being on the front page of most rags 3/5 days of the week recently). I'm also doing quite well at it now, and have covered all of my earlier losses, so I am feeling quite good about trading in general.

I agree that most wage slaves would be resentful of the freedom that trading provides, and to that end it is generally best to keep it to family and close friends only- not something for responding to the "and what do you do" gambit down the pub. I know of at least one (salaried) relative who would like nothing better than for me to fall on my face, and one or two "friends", but responses have been more encouraging in general. There is always the odd bit of green cheese after all.

Do You Admit To Being A Trader?

I most recently say that i buy & sell things, and leave it at that.
If the person probes further, i explain properly.

DO YOU ADMIT tO BEING A TRADER ?

Yes I do, when asked.

I must say that I'm proud I've just about mastered this game (still have the occasional losing day, but now quite rare) so I explain I'm a trader on the futures markets. Most people don't really understand what that entails and usually go wittering on about some British Gas shares their mother's uncle's great Dane once had, but lost money on...

My close friends have always known what I do as most have been in my study at some time or another, watching the charts/platforms with me. (Not during the day, thankfully)

I explain I'm a trader on the futures markets. Most people don't really understand what that entails and usually go wittering on about some British Gas shares their mother's uncle's great Dane once had, but lost money on...

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I know that feeling

UTB

Yes, I tell everyone that I am a successful trader, whether they ask or not. I trade fewchairs (I think that’s how you say it). I am making millions (never a losing day). With so many good strategies freely posted in this forum I can’t see why more people aren’t making millions trading fewchairs.

Of course being a highly profitable successful trader is a lot easier to admit to than being a less successful trader.

Of course being a highly profitable successful trader is a lot easier to admit to than being a less successful trader.

But if you are not very successful then all you need to do is ask someone in this forum for a fix to the problem and someone will gladly give their edge! You know, the one that has taken them years of painstaking effort to develop and refine. They will just give it to you, free! :eek:

But if you are not very successful then all you need to do is ask someone in this forum for a fix to the problem and someone will gladly give their edge! You know, the one that has taken them years of painstaking effort to develop and refine. They will just give it to you, free! :eek:

with the price of crops soaring, that chip next to your ear is likely to significantly rise in value in the near future. Keep hold for a few more months, then sell.

There you go, another free system.

;)

UTB

I'll "admit" it when it covers my living expenses. Right now I see no value in advertising the fact I am attempting to speculate on futures. I'm most certainly not ashamed of it, I just don't wish to advertise the fact.

If I can support myself by trading 6 months down the line, or at least make enough of a profit EOD trading alongside a full time job (sigh), I may mention it if it comes up. Until then, the fact I have lost £1700 learning how to trade is something I'll admit on T2W only.

I'll admit to it now thanks. I'll admit to my impatience, lack of discipline, and covering too soon as well. I still have issues, but I think I am steadily improving (as is my equity curve). I'm also happy to acknowledge my progress over the year, and take pride in how I have learned, developed, and improved.

It isn't something I'd mention to any Tom, Dick, or Harry, but I don't keep it to myself and it is always a good talking point if economics / finance / gov't policy / NRK comes up in conversation.

I've also made a profit for my first year, and have found a strategy which works for me.

I don't mind telling people; I think most people are fascinated by it and would happily listen to whatever you tell them (obviously, if you go on about stochastics and so on, they will walk away).

I find that in many situations (especially in the area in which I live) it leads to a series of uncomfortable questions, especially if i say Commodity Trading Advisor. In many cases I try to blow off the question without being rude. One of my favorite tactics is to use a joke like "You know those signs you see posted on telephone poles that say 'Make a six figure income from home!!!'? I hang those signs."

jj

I tell the ones, I care for :) The others are being told: I'm a busdriver :lol that keeps them wishing being one themselves :)

This reminds me of a story on another forum. The poster didn't want to tell girls in clubs he was an accountant as that usually got an "Oh." so he decided to tell girls he was a biscuit designer. One day someone replied with, "Wow! Really? I work for Jacobs. What are you working on now?"

This reminds me of a story on another forum. The poster didn't want to tell girls in clubs he was an accountant as that usually got an "Oh." so he decided to tell girls he was a biscuit designer. One day someone replied with, "Wow! Really? I work for Jacobs. What are you working on now?"

Happened to me :) but as I can drive a bus, no real hurt :D