Disapprove feedback function

Should Members be able to Approve and Disapprove Posts? (Anonymous Poll)

• Approve and Disapprove

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Approve Only

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters
The updated system works as follows.

1 Dark Green Dot = 150 rep points (max 5)
1 Light Green Dot = 250 rep points (max 5)
1 Gold Dot = 800 rep points (max 10)
Once you max the dots out you get a big gold star and the dots start again, and so forth, for as many stars and dots as you can acquire.

So DBP, we can work out your rep is at least (5x150 + 5x250 + 1x800 = 750 + 1250 + 800 = 2800), but not yet 3600 (otherwise you'd have an extra gold dot).

Not that I question your skills at maths Sharky, but unless the above is wrong, I've got myself a golden star for free :cheesy:

I believe you get one dark green dot, the minute you gain any reputation points. Than it increases per 150. So if you have 749 points you've got 5 dark green dots. If you have 750, you earn your first light green dot. If you have 1999 points, you'll have 5 darks & 5 light ones and if you cross 2000 you'll get a gold one. In case I'm mistaken, you'll have to take away my golden dot because I don't have 2800 reputation points yet (2394).

I agree with the above statement. Personally, I've never used the "disapprove post" function. I prefer to discuss things in public as the moderators will have seen me cause trouble from time to time :p

I think we should keep the "report bad post" option, as that's a tool for letting moderators know the thread is getting derailed by insults, flames, or any other behaviour that's not according to the T2W guidelines.

I have used disapprove about 10 times - all for fairly good valid reasons.
I am now in favour of scrapping it due to its mis-use.
I regularly use approve - inparticular for rewarding quality posts with useful info to threads that i have opened.

Last edited:
Personally I think:

1) We only have positive approvals
2) We list the names of the users, like a thank you, next to each post that recieves them
3) When you rollover their rep you get the members actual rep score AND their rep giving power.
4) We update the FAQ with a detailed description of how the system works.

This will enable users to see any "pip buddy" partnerships that are in existence.

This will enable users to see any "pip buddy" partnerships that are in existence.

I have no problem with that. Just compared the last 10 rep points I received with those I've spread around and only 1 name is the same. Looks like I don't have any pip buddies after all :help:

Yeah - I think we can see genuine thank you's and if someone is just trying to orchestrate increasing their rep on poor posts, it will be evident. From the results of the poll and feedback on my proposal I think that's a green light as to how to proceed, so I'll set about making all these changes live, should take a day or two. Thanks for everyone who contributed to the poll and for all your comments on this thread, unless anyone has anything else to add - I'll close this thread.

Yeah - I think we can see genuine thank you's and if someone is just trying to orchestrate increasing their rep on poor posts, it will be evident. From the results of the poll and feedback on my proposal I think that's a green light as to how to proceed, so I'll set about making all these changes live, should take a day or two. Thanks for everyone who contributed to the poll and for all your comments on this thread, unless anyone has anything else to add - I'll close this thread.

Before you do that, could you shed some clarity on how the points are calculated (see my post #62)?

Ahhh yeah, sorry firewalker, meant to reply to that. You were right and I was wrong, so basically you get one dot up to 150 rep points, then the next and so on. Sorry for confusion!

Frugis post is still up somewhere on the boards with the full formula, if that's still the model we use, sorry I've lost where it is so can't give link :(

Formula above is still correct, just one less dot, because you get the first one not at 150, but 0-150.

So for you, you've got ((5 * 150 = 750) + (3 * 250 = 750)) = 1500 (so you have 1250 to 1500) - does that make sense?

I wouldn't dream of it :innocent:.

(Maybe this calls for some serious boot-licking :idea:.)

.....Paul/Sharky really gives me the impression of being an impeccable human being. Clever, creative, innovative, strong work ethic, yet seemingly so modest & humble. Perhaps we could all learn somethign from him.
:p;):LOL:

I'd recommend cillit bang for the tip of your tongue after that blast.:)

UTB

Okay, quick update:

1) We only have positive approvals (DONE!)
2) We list the names of the users, like a thank you, next to each post that recieves them (DONE!)

This is effective immediately. For 2) I've added a line underneath the post that got positive rep and described it as "The following members wish to thank xxx for this great post: yyyy, zzzzz". If you think something like "The following member positively approved of this post" then let me know, in some ways its more accurate, but it sure is boring! :sleep:

Okay, quick update:

1) We only have positive approvals (DONE!)
2) We list the names of the users, like a thank you, next to each post that recieves them (DONE!)

This is effective immediately. For 2) I've added a line underneath the post that got positive rep and described it as "The following members wish to thank xxx for this great post: yyyy, zzzzz". If you think something like "The following member positively approved of this post" then let me know, in some ways its more accurate, but it sure is boring! :sleep:

Given that not all recommended posts are "great", why not just "Recommended by:"?

Also, have you given any more thought to listing the most recommended posts of the day or week somewhere so that those who are not reading that particular thread will know about them? (Ditto Most Viewed Threads of the day or week)

Last edited:
Given that not all recommended posts are "great", why not just "Recommended by:"?

I agree with this as it is impartial and allows the reader to decide their own view.

Paul

I agree with this as it is impartial and allows the reader to decide their own view.

Paul

Agree with db and Paul. Otherwise the reader gets the impression that the T2W-team thinks the post is great with a couple of members emphasizing this by giving positive reps.

I'm with db on this and think a neutral "recommended by" is short and to the point.

Okay thanks for the feedback - I'll update it to "Recommended by" now.

As for those other suggestions DB, I'll see what I can do.

I'm guessing that your working on this one Sharky, but i've just checked a post that i disapproved of and it says -
The following members wish to thank __ for this great post: JTrader

Okay thanks for the feedback - I'll update it to "Recommended by" now.

As for those other suggestions DB, I'll see what I can do.

Its a good system this now, as you can possibly see who are the bitches and who are peoples pip buddies :cool:;).