Disapprove feedback function

Should Members be able to Approve and Disapprove Posts? (Anonymous Poll)

• Approve and Disapprove

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Approve Only

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters

JTrader

I have used this function when i have seen it as necessary, if a member has annoyed me, and IMO been clearly offensive or in the wrong, with the aim of being constructive in the feedback at the end of the day.

I have also been the recipient of disapprove feedback comments.

It seems to go like this - you leave a member a disapprove comment, and they give you one back.

I have received some disapprove comments that really surprised me, such as for one of my posts that was clearly aimed at educating & helping the member, and they turned round & accused me of trying to confuse :eek:. Another one was for a friendly, innocuous jovial comment that was hugely misinterpreted by the member it was aimed towards.

For an unwarranted (IMO) disapprove feedback comment that i get/got, i too have left a justifiable one for that member, in some ways to "even the score".

It seems some members are not happy to have the score evened, and will always seek to have the last say in a game of one-up-mans-ship :rolleyes:.

Whats your experience of the Disapprove feedback function been like?

Cheers.

Last edited:
I have used this function when i have seen it as necessary, if a member has annoyed me, and IMO been clearly offensive or in the wrong, with the aim of being constructive in the feedback at the end of the day.

I have also been the recipient of disapprove feedback comments.

It seems to go like this - you leave a member a disapprove comment, and they give you one back.

I have received some disapprove comments that really surprised me, such as for one of my posts that was clearly aimed at educating & helping the member, and they turned round & accused me of trying to confuse :eek:. Another one was for a friendly, innocuous jovial comment that was hugely misinterpreted by the member it was aimed towards.

For an unwarranted (IMO) disapprove feedback comment that i get/got, i too have left a justifiable one for that member, to "even the score".

It seems some members are not happy to have the score evened, and will always seek to have the last say in a game of one-up-mans-ship :rolleyes:.

Whats your experience of the Disapprove feedback function been like?

Cheers.

We're only trying to help...

http://www.ericberne.com/games/games_people_play_kickme.htm

have never used the disapprove option. I only give "good rep" to posters that I find helpful or funny.
we all have a personal opinion in how we interpret something. so giving bad-rep is dependent on your personal threshold of offence.

if I find something offensive, I will alert a mod, but only if I feel the post has breached T2W guidelines (objective), not my personal threshold (subjective).
If I feel a poster has been offensive, I will have a lower opinion of his future posts. And thus, the poster devalues his own persona at T2W.

Disapprove feedback is unlikely to ever be well received.

We all love criticism and when the critic can fine us as well ... well, revenge must come to many minds.

I'd suggest a PM if constructive criticism is genuinely being offered.

I only use the approve. If I had a problem with something someone's posted, I'd PM them about it. Still, if you want a conversation via the approve/disapprove feedback function, then that's up to you but the field length is quite short so you can't have a good rant. :D

It wasn't that long ago that this function was removed and you could only give positive reps and it changed when the site moved to the new look. I suppose if you get a bad one then it is very difficult not to respond with the same. At one time you could get bad reps and not know who had given it which is unfair in my view.

Personally I would like to see the bad rep option removed as I don't think it adds any real value.

Paul

Personally I would like to see the bad rep option removed as I don't think it adds any real value.

Paul

Agreed. The only time I've received one was from a poster I'd never previously had anything to do with, and they didn't leave a comment so I was none the wiser what the problem with my post was. Needless to say, I gave one back, which was rather petty but made me feel better :LOL: But Paul's right - just get rid of them I'd say.

It's nice to give or receive good rep, but the heart-warming effect is brief and fleeting.

On the other hand, If I were to receive bad rep, I would harbour bad-feeling and resentment towards the bad-repper til the end of my days. I'm not sure how anybody could live with the guilt of giving bad rep. They would probably start a thread to try to explain and excuse their evil deeds. Boo hiss. ;)

Paul

I agree.

It only serves to give Little Miss Moffat something else to complain about.

I'm not really bothered about my green dots going up & down- if i was, like most, i'd never user the disapprove function, as most times the recipient usually gives it back etc. I don't mind receiving disaprove rep either, as long as it is justifiable and well explained.

When i give disapprove comments, for the majority of the members involved, since that 1st disapprove comment i gave, i have given that member more approve comments to cancel out the red, and add extra green points.

I use the red sparingly, probably about 8 times in all, and some of these are a result of them having given me the bad rep first.
There are a fair few more posts that i have felt like giving red to, but chose not to.

I’ve only ever had bad reps from one member.

Didn’t stop me going for immediate revenge though….and it seems that would be the response from most based on the replies so far on this thread. Most of whom are from actual traders. Which is interesting. And perhaps to the point.

What made my spirit-sapping ordeal almost unbearably too awful to live through without massive emotional scarring though was their obviously deeply held belief in their own sagacity and intelligence; as unstinting as it was totally misplaced in assuming what they had to say was going to be of genuine worth or even of interest to the ‘lucky’ recipient of their vapid, uneducated, inexperienced, disopinionated and infantile musings.

If ego in love with its own intelligence in an intellectual (as opposed to an intellect) what is ego without any discernable shred of intelligence in love with its own ego?

But there’s a glimmer of hope in that it appears, for the moment anyway, genuine consideration has been given to positively intended advice and that a turning point might be near. Of course, as with all turning points, they don’t always necessarily indicate anything other than the old, well worn route is to be re-established, A pity if that’s the case, but I’ve done my best.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you try to give bad-rep to the same person too soon, do you get a message saying:

"You must spread some ill-will around before giving XXXX the finger again." ? :LOL: :LOL:

if you try to give bad-rep to the same person too soon, do you get a message saying:

"You must spread some ill-will around before giving XXXX the finger again." ? :LOL: :LOL:

Now there's an idea :). Fair's fair, after all.

I've suggested several times that, rather than deduct "good points", there be two distinct lines, a green one as at present, and a red one for whatever "bad points" one might receive. Deducting "good" points makes little if any sense.

All in all, though, giving "bad rep" is ineffective, resulting mostly in feuds, particularly if one knows where it came from. If anyone has a problem with a post, they ought to post something about it in public. That serves not only to bring the situation into the open but to provide an opportunity to clarify any misunderstandings that there might be.

I liked the old Motley Fool system. Posts were given rep points individually, and tallies were made and reported daily and weekly of the best posts of the day/week. Good posts thus received the attention they deserved. Most Valuable Member points were awarded in a similar way.

Db

Dear laptop1,

You have received an infraction at Trade2Win Boards.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?p=360631

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
-------
do not derail this thread again. This infraction is worth 10 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

This is what I posted, there was no name atached to the post.

The quote
Let no one deceive himself: if any one thinks himself to be wise among you in this world, let him become foolish, that he may be wise.....Corinthians 3:18

If anyone is upset because they've been given bad rep they can pass some bad rep on to me if it makes them feel any better. I promise not to return any.

dd

A previous short lived dissapprove rep "war" ;) has been pleasingly resolved peacfully and amicably.

Now it seems that another member is wanting to give me more disapprove rep than i give him, have the last say and maintain the upper hand........the score is currently 2-1 to him.......I'm going to let him have the last say and the last laugh because his negative rep only knocks 2 points off my score, whereas mine knocks off about 30 points.

Amazingly, when he first gave me the negative rep, the post in question was aimed at educating him and fellow members. He then accused me of trying to "confuse the reader"in his disapprove comment. It's morons like this that give internet communities a bad rep :rolleyes: .

Why bother trying to help when idiots can turn round and be so dum. If only i'd known in advance - i'd give such members a wide berth.

Perhaps the solution should be a pschometric personality test of some sort B4 T2W membership is granted. Sort the irregular folk from the normal folk :idea:. Those who fair badly in the test do not get membership :idea:

Last edited:
You Sank My Membership !!!!

hmm you could be onto some there JT, like battleships, you sink a persons rep take it down to zero for the sinking ?

Up periscopes.

You Sank My Membership !!!! :p

hmm you could be onto some there JT, like battleships, you sink a persons rep take it down to zero for the sinking ?

Up periscopes.

You Sank My Membership !!!! :p

It is possible, if you have a big enough hammer (green squares). But what a sad waste of time & effort. Also, you need to spread rep to 4 (i think) other people, b4 giving it to the same person again - which adds to the slow process.

A first ship of the line firing a broadside at a flubber dinghy armed with a peashooter just isn't cricket JT.

Your neg rep appears to be a retaliatory hit, can you point me to the thread in question please...thanks :)

Lightning

Shed2Win

It is possible, if you have a big enough hammer (green squares). But what a sad waste of time & effort. Also, you need to spread rep to 4 (i think) other people, b4 giving it to the same person again - which adds to the slow process.

hmmm, how about members start with say 10,000 and they get knocked off for good posts, until they become a zero ?? would this help change a people for the better ?

Shed2WIN

shed hate
shed anger
shed emotion
shed hope
shed points.

Like Lose2Win and what rols suggested with his "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" slogan, vital isnt it..... ?