Member Reputation System

Lightning McQueen

Has the reputation system changed in any way?, it appears we can now disapprove of posts, are points deducted for posts that are disproved of?

it states in the faq.

"It is not possible to show disapproval of a post as we feel this could lead to abuse of the system and bad feelings in the community."

As you have removed the star rating system which by the way was the primary method of previous guerrilla assassinations between factions and rivals, I am wondering if you have unwittingly opened a can of worms for future unrest and bitterness.

Can someone clarify the situation please.

Thanks in advance.

We've left the system the way it's set up by default (which means it's changed from before - and the FAQ needs updating). It's true that you can now disapprove a post, as well as approve, a post. The advantage of this is that members who start misbehaving can be penalised by the members. The disadvantage is that members could gang up on one another to reduce each other rankings. I'm happy to go with whatever most members feel comfortable with. Personally I like the idea that reputation can fluctatue up and down, and it's not just one way. But others might feel differently...

Agreed it will add an interesting dimension to things.

Im not convinced that its going to run smoothly though,debate may be stifled by the mere fact of fear of retribution on the rep points.

Imagine if you will the valiant new poster, who has just got up to bronze status squaring up to a legendary member with years of membership, sporting a fistful of bright green sceptics who has just spouted nonsense, lets just say it wont be pretty thats for sure.

Its david and goliath where david has no chance whatsoever. even if david had some mates, goliath will squish the lot of em if he gets upset.

I can see it now, weary troops returning from the battle field getting their rep points pumped before returning to the fray......it was going on with the star system I kid you not! its may happen with this one too...well lets hope not.

Agreed it will add an interesting dimension to things.

Im not convinced that its going to run smoothly though,debate may be stifled by the mere fact of fear of retribution on the rep points.

Imagine if you will the valiant new poster, who has just got up to bronze status squaring up to a legendary member with years of membership, sporting a fistful of bright green sceptics who has just spouted nonsense, lets just say it wont be pretty thats for sure.

Its david and goliath where david has no chance whatsoever. even if david had some mates, goliath will squish the lot of em if he gets upset.

I can see it now, weary troops returning from the battle field getting their rep points pumped before returning to the fray......it was going on with the star system I kid you not! its may happen with this one too...well lets hope not.

You think too much :rolleyes: :LOL: :cheesy: :!: ;)

What has been before will likely happen again. stick your head in the sand if you like.

I like this site, I dont wish it to degenerate into farce.

Ignorance is bliss as they say.....

.....I've not been on the receiving end of any T2W turf wars, and haven't really paid any attention to any pasts feuds/stand offs, so don't know the extent of how these things go.

Ignorance is bliss as they say.....

.....I've not been on the receiving end of any T2W turf wars, and haven't really paid any attention to any pasts feuds/stand offs, so don't know the extent of how these things go.

These things affect us all JT, if not directly, these troubles are what cause good members to leave or stop posting, that is not a good situation and affects the overall quality of the site which is not in all our interests I believe.

These things affect us all JT, if not directly, these troubles are what cause good members to leave or stop posting, that is not a good situation and affects the overall quality of the site which is not in all our interests I believe.

Hi LM

I can see that, and I'm not knocking your comments.

But surely members come to T2W primarily to share and seek info.

Therefore who cares at the end of the day, if they have 0,1,4 or 6 green squares at the side of their name?

This system is open to abuse as it is already. No doubt many "arrangements" already exist to post good post comments about ones circle of "friends". Therefore this indicator is of limited value anyway.

It took me a long time to even notice the good post system, let alone to start using it.

At the end of the day, having 6 green squares, plus three gold bonus squares at the side of your name isn't going to make you any money, which has got to be everyones primary reason for A) trading, and B) coming to websites like T2W to help achieve A.

Sure, it is better to have a full green belt, sixth dan and and all your gold tags, but if you don't have any green squares, is it really the end of the world?

As i understand it, in order to give a negative rating to a post, you need to leave a reason, whereas to post a good post comment, you don't need to post a comment. So this already makes it more difficult to abuse the negative post comment.

If it really means that much to a person, perhaps they could appeal to the T2W board, and have the negative post repealed, if they think it was injust.

I am more than happy to receive bad post comments. It certainly will be interesting. I am also happy to post bad post comments if need be, but i haven't done this yet.

I can foresee this system being abused in that if person A posts a justifiable bad post comment against person B. Person B is then likely to post a non-justified bad post comment against person A.

But so what. If someone is posting bad posts, they have everything to learn through the feedback they will receive from bad post comments. Therefore if used correctly, bad post comments should benefit the recipient.

The trick is, not to take it personally.

Last edited:
I don't care how many squares I've got, really, although I'm grateful to those who have seen fit to support me on certain issues. What I fail to understand is how those squares, donated by members many months ago, perhaps, can be removed for a recent disagreement of something entirely different.

That said, the loss of these squares is unlikely to make me hold back on some point that I feel strongly about. Now, if there was a pension plan attached to them......

Sharky, I've got an idea.........;)

Split

vanity, vanity, all is vanity.....

I think the only reason someone should use the "bad rep" button, is if the post was offensive, defamatory or a personal attack, or a spam/sales post.

Otherwise, we run the risk of people getting bad-rep for having the audacity to have differing ways to view the market. (case in point; the response to Rob Griggsons thread on a non-TA way of trading FX. One reply was unambiguously provocative.
observe: the recent spat between grey1 and Mr.Charts about methods of trading. personally, this is a shame as they are both highly respected traders.)

we need to have the breadth to allow new concepts and ideas to flourish, even if they challenge our existing views. (these tend to be the most entertaining, and mind-expanding.)

personally, I couldnt care less about my green-dots, as most of them were gained more for my humour (CYOF, etc) and non-trading topics than anything constructive. :eek: :eek:

having to give a reason is useful, as it would stop knee-jerk reactions.

What I fail to understand is how those squares, donated by members many months ago, perhaps, can be removed for a recent disagreement of something entirely different..............

Split

If you think of the saying, your only as good as your last game (or in this case post), the bad post comment is good IMO.

A member may have been really good and useful in the past, but this does not mean that they are as valuable 2 years later.
Therefore the potential for the removal of reputation points should help ensure that members try & maintain quality, not offend others etc.

A member could get a potive post comment and a negative post comment for the same post from 2 different members, so again, don't take it too seriously.

...The advantage of this is that members who start misbehaving can be penalised by the members. The disadvantage is that members could gang up on one another to reduce each other rankings...

Yes, I thought it was about misbehaving...

I think the only reason someone should use the "bad rep" button, is if the post was offensive, defamatory or a personal attack, or a spam/sales post.

So can anybody tell me what part of my post #34 in the "3 Questions For You Lot!" thread was either offensive, defamatory or personal attacking? http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showpost.php?p=329171&postcount=34

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the remarks made to me in a rep have been similar to this " A good point, Split"
Nothing more, but it refers to a specific post which is noted alongwith the rep.

Why should that poster's opinion be eliminated a few years later? It does not seem logical to me. Green squares and red squares, perhaps?

Some of the remarks made to me in a rep have been similar to this " A good point, Split"
Nothing more, but it refers to a specific post which is noted alongwith the rep.

Why should that poster's opinion be eliminated a few years later? It does not seem logical to me. Green squares and red squares, perhaps?

What do you mean by eliminated?

As i understand, the list only displays the 15 or so most recent comments. Points earned from earlier good posts remain, just the comments are no longer displayed.

If i give someone a good post comment, sometimes i don't make a comment, nor do people with ones i receive. Other than saying nice one, well put, good one, etc. it can e difficult to put into a short sentence why it is a good post. You know its a good post, but you can't pin-point why.

Last edited:
What do you mean by eliminated?

As i understand, the list only displays the 15 or so most recent comments. Points earned from earlier good posts remain, just the comments are no longer displayed.

Right. I stand corrected on that point.

Split

I doubt that anyone believes that the green-dot-reputation system has much to do with the quality of posts. Just as often -- or more often -- it's a convenient means for various pep squads and booster clubs to vote for one or another of their favorites. Surely no one believes that those who consistently violate the rules care a fig about their green dots.

This and other problems addressed over the past year+ were to have been dealt with the "launch" of the new site. I hope that they eventually will be. Otherwise, it's pretty, and it's fast, but . . .

sorry i wasn't about to stop this escalating for the second time - rectified matters now i hope.