User Reputation System

frugi

Many of you have asked about the reputation system and how it works.
Now that the system has been upgraded and somewhat overhauled, there is an explanation in the General Forum Usage section of the FAQ.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_user_rep

A member can give reputation by means of the new "Good Post" button at the bottom of each post. This button has superseded the tick/cross icon that used to be below a member's post count.

If anything is unclear or if you have a comment to make on the system, then please post it here.

We would like to warmly encourage members to make use of the system as, if used sensibly, it should be to the benefit of everyone.

It is worth pointing out that an individual's reputation score (see FAQ) is likely to increase rather slowly to start with, but momentum should gather as more members use the system.

"The number of reputation points a member gives to a particular post then increases with:

1. the member’s post count.
2. the member’s length of membership.
3. the member’s current reputation score."

So if you have posted quite a few times and have been around more or less since the beginning of T2W how many would that be that such a person could give?
:cheesy:

For every 6 months of membership, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
For every 200 posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

... but these may be changed, which is why they're not in the FAQ any why I will probably delete this post shortly. :)

And if anyone would like to suggest "mouse-over" reputation comments from 1-10000 (I think there's 17 in all) then please feel free as I'm all out of sensible creativity. Obviously the lavishness of the praise should increase with the numbers and perhaps some form of theme is in order, but nothing too cheesy or ludicrous, please. :)

If I take the mouse cusror over the green dot, it says 'doodah has at least one admirer'. What's that mean?

It means you have a reputation score of between 1 and 9. I admit that the text comments are not perfect hence the above post.

If it really says "doodah" then I'm in trouble. :)

frugi said:
For every 6 months of membership, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
For every 200 posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

... but these may be changed, which is why they're not in the FAQ any why I will probably delete this post shortly. :)

The power... the power.. and are you going to delete me ;) uh, I mean this post too? :)

Go ahead, I won't mind....

;)

The trouble with this system is that it only takes one other person who doesnt like you to rate you down .... and the 5 stars based on contributions disappears. Worse if they have multiple identities.

Frugi ... you might want to remove my illustrative rating from Racer's rating. Apologies Racer, I just wanted to illustrate the point.

Another interesting point is that ET have recently removed "post numbers", "legendary member etc" and "signatures." I think they may have made a mistake removing signatures although some were very long but the post numbers and legendary member status's just encouraged excessively noisy posters. They seem to do the same here. Seems to boost their egos. Some of these posters are now on this board, using their original names or new ones, and clocking up legendary numbers of posts without improving the quality or quantity of information much.

Last edited:
The star rating system is totally separate from the reputation system. The star system is, as you say, somewhat flawed and open to abuse. I also agree that post counts and the subsequent "xxxx member" status can encourage post-whoring, although members that are sad enough to bother posting purely to increase their count/ranking are few and far between and easily spotted.

Still, these are two reasons why we are trying to invigorate the new reputation system as it rewards quality not quantity and boasts a sensible, more complex element of weighting than the star system.

The reputation system does not allow negative ratings at all, by the way.

Then we will both be pleased that I was able to restore (or maybe improve) Racer's ratings by rerating her to 5. Seems to have replaced my prior rating.

It will be interesting to see how the reputation system works out. Hopefully well.

Thanks for doing that Kiwi. Your point is a fair one and may result in a greater revision of the entire ratings/count/rank etc. system in time.

I agree with Kiwi that it is probably time that you do away with members' status and the number of posts that they have made. At the very least it should be modified as it serves no purpose. There are some people that tend to make 3 or 4 posts in a row which is ridiculous to say the least

Kiwi said:
Then we will both be pleased that I was able to restore (or maybe improve) Racer's ratings by rerating her to 5. Seems to have replaced my prior rating.

It will be interesting to see how the reputation system works out. Hopefully well.

Someone nicking my stars again, huh.... I am feeling bit attacked here.... wot have I dun? Honest guv it wasn't me..............

:)

Ooops should I have put that with the previous post? Don't want it to look like I am trying to post too many in one go.... oh dear, my stars are going to get nicked again........

So we have stars and also reputation....it's all too unnecessarily complicated. Why do we need two systems?

The stars system may be phased out but not until the reputation system gets off the ground and has been tested for a while. So roll up folks, please keep rating good posts if/when you see fit! Thanks. :)

Now that the reputation rating has taken over from the stars, and, the stars are optional, there seems to be no way of showing your disagreement with someones abilities.

For example, if i removed my stars from display you would only have the 'green dot' message. This dots status can only go one way so it only takes a few members to rate this person up, whilst many members may believe they should be opposingly rated or disagree, but have no way of reflecting this opinion to show all members as a whole.

I'm not singling any out here in particular but at least with the starts you can be rated up or down but with the dots its one way only and I believe, at times, this can be misleading and bad for new and current members.

Just a thought....

chrisw said:
Now that the reputation rating has taken over from the stars, and, the stars are optional, there seems to be no way of showing your disagreement with someones abilities.

For example, if i removed my stars from display you would only have the 'green dot' message. This dots status can only go one way so it only takes a few members to rate this person up, whilst many members may believe they should be opposingly rated or disagree, but have no way of reflecting this opinion to show all members as a whole.

I'm not singling any out here in particular but at least with the starts you can be rated up or down but with the dots its one way only and I believe, at times, this can be misleading and bad for new and current members.

Just a thought....
You know, I do not have opinions, as opinions are tainted by emotions.

Emotions are a virus that no trader can afford to become contaminated with.

Therefore, I restrict myself to only having and expressing views.

This is because views are untainted by emotions or emotional bias but instead are arrived at by cold reasoning and logical deduction.

You talk about showing disagreement with someone's abilities.

But abilities are an abstract concept., not a tangible reality, unless they are specifically demonstrated . A bulletin board is not the ideal medium to do this, because a bulletin board exists in cyberspace, is in addition anonymous, and abstract, not tangible like for example meeting someone face to face is a tangible reality, is it now ?

What you probably mean is disagreeing with an opinion someone may have.

This is a different matter altogether, and in this respect you would be quite right, provided it is an opinion that is being challenged., for wahtever reason.

With regard to the green dot or dots, again I hold the view different to yours.

This is because trading is by its nature a very lonely profession, then because people are not accustomed to this they try to carry into trading habits acquired elswhere, which in the world of trading do not and cannot work effectively.

One of these habits is that of sharing.

Very commendable and honourable it is, but it does not work in trading.

Therefore there really isn't any point in sharing collective opinions for everyone to participate in, because, as I explain above, trading is not about sharing, it is about competing, in fact competing ferociously.

Neither do I agree wih your posture with regard to newcomers. It is up to newcomers to come to terms with what the world of trading is really like in advance of entering a domain subject to traders protocols and then expectng nannying.

In the same way as the world of trading that takes no prisoners, so the world that traders inhabit in parallel has similar criteria. It is for the new and current members to do their own nannying if needed.

You will never experience really experienced and battle hardened pro's expecting spoonfeeding. Then anyone who expects spoonfeeding and nannying cannot be a pro., it is that simple.

It is only rank amateurs who expect cotton wool treatment, and often get it, because one has to concede that no one is born knowing, we all have to start somewhere and learn.

I expect this will clarify your misconceptions about all this.