Current events

In fact, Trump, for better or worse, hasn't done anything significant yet - unless you count talking endlessly about doing something significant. With little political support and very low popularity ratings, he's only got bluster right now.

The irony is that the US is trying to isolate various countries for various reasons and is itself becoming isolated ! Plus Trump deliberately goes out of his way to insult and annoy even the US's friends, neighbours and trading partners too.
Is that sensible ? More like insane imho. Making home made TVs etc. at twice the price. Is that sensible, rather than compete ?

For the US's sake he should step down. The nutty businessman approach will be disastrous for the US and it's allies.

I don't think that he is insane. I just think that he is not, and never has been, president material.

He is not going to step down. Hell, he's achieved his lifelong ambition. I believe that those who elected him should be removed, as well as him.

I say "be removed" because we know, only too well over here, that they will never go away by themselves.

They can't beat us at the voting booths so they are trying to cheat you out of the future and the future that you want. They're trying to cheat you out of the leadership you want with a fake story that is demeaning to all of us, and most importantly, demeaning to our country and demeaning to our Constitution.

—Trump on Russia investigation, speaking at a rally in West Virginia last night

They can't beat us at the voting booths so they are trying to cheat you out of the future and the future that you want. They're trying to cheat you out of the leadership you want with a fake story that is demeaning to all of us, and most importantly, demeaning to our country and demeaning to our Constitution.

—Trump on Russia investigation, speaking at a rally in West Virginia last night

I wish the idiot had stuck to the hotel business.
The Paris Accord agreement was about the only hope to save the planet and he has botched it and annoyed everyone ! (except Peter )
Instead of leading from the front as in their hayday he is determined to be isolated and lose all the gains from the last 50 years.

Last edited:
The Paris Accord agreement was about the only hope to save the planet and he has botched it and annoyed everyone ! (except Peter )
Instead of leading from the front as in their hayday he is determined to be isolated and lose all the gains from the last 50 years.

You need to have a think about this Pat.

If the rest of the world forges ahead in it's move towards green energy, then all countries that stick with dinosaur industries will wither away.

Is that really a good plan to stay ahead of the pack? I don't think so.

You need to have a think about this Pat.

If the rest of the world forges ahead in it's move towards green energy, then all countries that stick with dinosaur industries will wither away.

Is that really a good plan to stay ahead of the pack? I don't think so.

I meant stay ahead with GREEN energy not coal/oil etc.

Pat, he is doing EXACTLY what he campaigned on...America first. (y)(y)
July NFP data: non farm payrolls up a lot(220,000) and previous 2 months revised upward by over 40,000, employment down to 4.4%(lowest in decades), GDP at 2.6 %, (much closer to 3.0% than Obama ever had). Democrat Senators Schumer and Pelosi had nothing to say about that yesterday.

Also as for the Paris Climate Agreement, It would have cost the US $Billions to pay for/to other countries who didn't have to abide by the agreement for years. Other countries are upset because those $Billions would have to be spread out among them. Maybe you UK folks would like to inherit all of it? As I pointed out earlier, one above ground nuclear explosion, probably from NK, would render it's effectiveness null and void.

Peter

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Major energy sources and percent shares of U.S. electricity generation at utility-scale facilities in 2016

Natural gas = 33.8%
Coal = 30.4%
Nuclear = 19.7%
Renewables (total) = 14.9%
Hydropower = 6.5%
Wind = 5.6%
Biomass = 1.5%
Solar = 0.9%
Geothermal = 0.4%
Petroleum = 0.6%
Other gases = 0.3%
Other nonrenewable sources = 0.3%
Pumped storage hydroelectricity = -0.2%4

Pat, he is doing EXACTLY what he campaigned on...America first. (y)(y)
July NFP data: non farm payrolls up a lot(220,000) and previous 2 months revised upward by over 40,000, employment down to 4.4%(lowest in decades), GDP at 2.6 %, (much closer to 3.0% than Obama ever had). Democrat Senators Schumer and Pelosi had nothing to say about that yesterday.

Also as for the Paris Climate Agreement, It would have cost the US $Billions to pay for/to other countries who didn't have to abide by the agreement for years. Other countries are upset because those $Billions would have to be spread out among them. Maybe you UK folks would like to inherit all of it? As I pointed out earlier, one above ground nuclear explosion, probably from NK, would render it's effectiveness null and void.

Peter

So what you are saying is the electors are to blame for voting him in ?
Selfishly putting America first means that all the rest are second or worse ?
The supposed costs to the US on Climate Change are surely small compared to the very nasty possibilities of global catastrophe ?

NK is indeed a knotty problem. Is he going to wait for the first strike before retaliating ? Unfortunately mad leaders tend to do what they say they will. Hitler said what he was going to do in Mein Kampf and then did. On reflection it would have been better if he had been put in an asylum for life. It looks like democracy is unable to spot the dangerous lunatic from the messiah.

I hear on the news the Chinese are strengthening their border with NK. I wonder if this is to hold them in or what.
Surely not a good time for the US to annoy its friends ? The NK problem could get much worse. His conversations with various leaders are now public. Pretty poor diplomacy imho.

Last edited:
So what you are saying is the electors are to blame for voting him in ?

Trump supporters are not the brightest bulbs. They will cling to what they're told, just as if they were in church, never bothering to think about it much. Take the employment numbers. You could count on the fingers of one hand the number of the faithful who've actually looked past the press releases and examined just what the data are and what they reveal. The "employment data" are essentially a fiction, an excellent example of spin. But then they almost always are to a large extent. The "unemployment" percentage? Please. Most likely the same is true in the UK. And Europe. And . . .

Trump supporters are not the brightest bulbs. They will cling to what they're told, just as if they were in church, never bothering to think about it much. Take the employment numbers. You could count on the fingers of one hand the number of the faithful who've actually looked past the press releases and examined just what the data are and what they reveal. The "employment data" are essentially a fiction, an excellent example of spin. But then they almost always are to a large extent. The "unemployment" percentage? Please. Most likely the same is true in the UK. And Europe. And . . .

It is a fact, db. New Labour, Conservatives, Lib-dems, PP, PSOE, the supporters will support their party with their dying breaths, warts and all.

But, let's face it, most of us are like that, it's human nature.

There seems to be a sea change, but, wil it last?

It is a fact, db. New Labour, Conservatives, Lib-dems, PP, PSOE, the supporters will support their party with their dying breaths, warts and all.

But, let's face it, most of us are like that, it's human nature.

There seems to be a sea change, but, wil it last?

Yes, most of us operate in bubbles. But data is data. And for all but the most devoted, self-interest eventually wins out, which is one reason why Trump's approval rating keeps falling, even among Republicans.

I was amused by the list of states that would be most negatively affected by an "implosion" of Obamacare:

Florida
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
the Carolinas
Oklahoma
Utah
South Dakota
Idaho
Kansas
Texas
Nevada
Virginia
Tennessee
Missouri

You may notice that these are among the most rabidly pro-Trump states.

Ain't kharma wunnerful?

dbphoenix said:

I don't recall you or any other leftists saying the same thing about the poor OBAMA admin numbers. The supporters were cheering the numbers even though they were worse (but same fiction and spin). Now that the numbers are much better you are calling "FAKE NEWS".

Talk about karma? :rolleyes:

Peter

dbphoenix said:
I was amused by the list of states that would be most negatively affected by an "implosion" of Obamacare:

Florida
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
the Carolinas
Oklahoma
Utah
South Dakota
Idaho
Kansas
Texas
Nevada
Virginia
Tennessee
Missouri

You may notice that these are among the most rabidly pro-Trump states.

Of course those states are pro-TRUMP...the Obama healthcare isn't working there so they voted for a change.

Peter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_the_United_Kingdom

In 2014, (UK) total electricity production stood at 335 TWh (down from a peak of 385 TWh in 2005), generated from the following sources:[32][33][34]

A typical offshore oil/gas platform
Gas: 30.2% (0.05% in 1990)
Coal: 29.1% (67% in 1990)
Nuclear: 19.0% (19% in 1990)
Wind: 9.4% (0% in 1990)
Bio-Energy: 6.8% (0% in 1990)
Hydroelectric: 1.8% (2.6% in 1990)
Solar: 1.2% (0% in 1990)
Oil and other: 2.5% (12% in 1990)

Not much different than US overall.

Peter

I don't recall you or any other leftists saying the same thing about the poor OBAMA admin numbers. The supporters were cheering the numbers even though they were worse (but same fiction and spin). Now that the numbers are much better you are calling "FAKE NEWS".

Talk about karma? :rolleyes:

Peter

You have poor recall. It's all posted here.

Of course those states are pro-TRUMP...the Obama healthcare isn't working there so they voted for a change.

Peter

It's "not working" (allegedly) so they voted to not have insurance at all.

As I said, not the brightest bulbs.

You have poor recall. It's all posted here.

?here? Not in this thread, nor the Trump consequences thread...All you've done is trash Trump and his supporters. I'm sure you can provide a link to a post I may have missed?

Peter

It's "not working" (allegedly) so they voted to not have insurance at all.

As I said, not the brightest bulbs.

That's NOT what they voted for and you know it. I'd have more respect for you if you did not constantly spew your seriously slanted Trump-hating agenda every time you post.

Peter