Currency Trading; October

Lard
glad you got it set up, only just woke up [yawn]

If you have less time to look at it then look at longer time frames with the same set up

here is the same triangle on a 60 min chart with a 100 period ma

Attachments

• image1.gif
    image1.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 446
Thanks NB

Still it's not a bad thing as it's forcing me to spend more time making sure I understand the instrument and confirm my trading rules. I have had a tendency in the past to jump first and understand as I go a long, which proves to be a costly learning curve :eek:

Keep up the good work, it's giving me confidence in see that my TA is not far different from yours.

Cheers

Lard

As long as you understand TA you will do fine even if it is only a few aspects of it. You can chart sup & res and trade it as you could have been more profitable with taking advantage of the smaller moves instead of trading the ema but it is a part of the acceptable losses that i take so that i can put my feet up or spend time away from the screen

Newtron,where is your strategy located please?I've lost the thread (plot).

Thanks very much for that Newtron and Options.If my present instrument doesn't deliver I'll be giving this a look.I'm pretty good on basic ta.

Basic TA works fine on the fx's. Better than shares and futures because of the liquidity of fx. Simply put there is more money going into currencies on a daily basis then the other vehicles.
Stick with the majors and you shouldn't go far wrong.
They tend to stay in trends for longer time periods. But the leverage offered is a very sharp two edged sword. You can lose a lot of money very rapidly.
As soon as you place a trade you are 5 pips off, so it's important to get on the right train as you cannot afford to have a trade go too far against you.
I'm still inherently a futures day trader. Tried fx years ago... and got slaughtered. I'm finding it a lot easier second time around.

Options

Basic TA works fine on the fx's. Better than shares and futures because of the liquidity of fx. Simply put there is more money going into currencies on a daily basis then the other vehicles.

Lovely put... basic TA and you cant go far wrong with the 4 majors

j.40
If my present instrument doesn't deliver I'll be giving this a look.I'm pretty good on basic ta.

little concerned with this comment
Try adding it as an instrument for diversification so if one doesnt deliver then another may be in sync. with your chosen trading style
Personally i trade index futures, currencies and recently us stocks this gives me plenty of scope for making money and all my eggs are not in one basket

morning everyone

Am looking to reverse long above todays high, i can see a double bottom on the horizontal support @ 1.66 and also trend support from the dec. tri.
If you look on the longer time frames, say hourly, it is a continuation pattern. either way if it breaks north or the continuation breaks south the target it still the same.
Within the pattern there is a down trend and as you can see there is what could be perceived as a squeeze in price so am expecting a move in the next hour

A good example of patterns within patterns :cheesy:

Ive taken a position long on euro/$, but not using this strat, which looks at a more long term view if i see anything worthwhile a mention i'll put up a chart

Attachments

• image1.gif
    image1.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 360
euro/$

I dont usually look at fib levels but this caught my eye.

Interesting where the turns were and the spike down is interesting too

Attachments

• image2.gif
    image2.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 389
gbp/usd

I took my enrty as stated earlier above teh high at the time @ 1.6660. My next entry consideration is at 1.6735 but this is one of those time where waiting to see what happens is best. The price is at solid resistance RSI adds tothis as it is showing new highs for the day, a pull back her would be nice before a bo.

Attachments

• image4.gif
    image4.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 372
NB

Short @ 1.6730. Bounce off trendline/resistance at 1.6735. Change of momentum confirmed by Slow Stochastic. Target 1.6600 but I don't think it will get there.

Goober

Above entry on 60 min chart.

Posting this trade is probably the kiss of death!

Goober

Stopped out at 1.6740. I purposely put a tight stop on the trade (trendline + 5) because I anticipated the kiss of death.

Do I have the ability to move the market or what?

Goober

got the pullback i was expecting, order at 1.6735 and added to long

goober
your short entry was good from the point of view of trading against resistance and the downside potential was also reasonable (sloping support from the ascending side of the triangle)
Am also glad you ran a tight stop and as soon as it turned you came out for a nice little profit :)
But put in to context what you are trying to trade, the price has been consolidating into an ascending triangle which will most likely bo and continue north... the price is approximately 2/3rds through the pattern which typically is where a bo would occur... also this morning has seen a nice steady advance which then moved into a sharpish move up so the chances of this just being a pullback before a breakout were and still are high and therefore a low probability trade for a short with a sizeable profit expectation...
I didnt add to my postion initially becasue i thought i would most likely be stopped out of this entry, but i didnt short because i am expecting a bo so far i have saved 30 pips today

next resistance @1.6760 before a bo could happen. we may see a bit of sideways action first

Business plan

In business, generally speaking, there are only three questions that you need to ask yourself

1 Where am i now:?:
2 Where am going:?:
3 how am am going to get there:?:

To put them into context with trading with the most recent pattern formation on gbp ie the ascending triangle

1 where am i now:?:
Flat, i have no open positions

2 Where am i going:?:
This market has 3 options up down sideways
Up and down are relative to the target which is approx 220 to 300 pips depending on where you are taking your reading from
sideways may spoil the pattern and will need to be reassessed when or if this happens

3 How am i going to get there:?:
Long - I will enter on the BO of horizontal resistance at 1.6750
My stop is, say, 30 pips (just an example)
My target is 1.6970 (220pips, minimum expectation)
short - I will enter on the BO of sloping support currently @ 1.6640
My stop is 30 pips
My target is 1.6420
Sideways - I will reassessed when new information come in for all 3 conditions

...always have plan B

Instead of saying "i think this is going here" try asking yourself questions "if it goes up what am i going to do?", "if it goes down what am i going to do?" "if it goes sideways what am i going to do?" so when something does happen you will know exactly what to do, and constantly reassess when new information comes in

HTH

Last edited:
Goober said:
NB

Short @ 1.6730. Bounce off trendline/resistance at 1.6735. Change of momentum confirmed by Slow Stochastic. Target 1.6600 but I don't think it will get there.

Goober

Goober
If you dont think it will get there, why did you trade it:?:

NB

Thanks for your comments.

The logic (or illogic) behind this particular trade was to test an entry against resistance, confirmed by a momentum indicator - the slow stochastic on this occasion.

I was uncomfortable with the trade from the outset as it "flew in the face" of a fundamental rule of mine - don't trade against the major trend!

However, as I am trying to develop a system that benefits from minor corrections as well as trend continuations, I decided to test it live. Because of my discomfort of trading against the major trend, I had a tight stop and traded with a small stake.

Sometimes, we need to be disciplined by the market to learn a lesson.

The lesson I learned? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! In other words, don't trade against the major trend!

I also enjoyed your post on business plans. A good trader is a boring animal, who sticks meticulously to his trading plan.

Goober.